• So the last version of this game i played was revised.  I was blown away when i went online last week to look up some revised strategy only to find out that 3 new versions since revised had come out.  I only got this game like 5 years ago.  I never thought a board game would get updated that often.

I always used to play with the “Larry Harris tournament 2.0” rules, instead of the rules in the box, mostly for the changes to strategic bombing which made winning with axis almost impossible.  I had 2 boxes worth of stuff because i was constantly running out of things with only 1 box of stuff.

First thing i notice about 42.2 is the box, its textured on the outside; “That’s classy” i thought.  I also liked how the cardboard country circles and country cards were textured too.  I really like all the new molded units.  The map is HUGE!  It doesn’t fit on my dinning room table anymore.  I do like the increased room though.

My complaints about the game:

Only 6 dice?  Revised came with 6 white, 3 red, 3 black and that still felt like it wasn’t enough to play the game.  The other thing that irked me about these new dice is they didn’t match my revised dice.  So i left the dice in the bag and didn’t use them.  I have 2 sets of revised dice for a total of 12 white, 6 red and 6 black, that should be enough.

Cardboard IC’s?  Wow, talk about skimping.  I am SOOOO glad i still have 24 plastic IC’s from revised.

No paper money?  Again, glad i have my paper money from revised.

No marshaling cards?  This was one of the most amazing things about revised to me.  I can’t believe they got rid of it.

I really don’t like the national production being on the map.  I much preferred the map to remain clean with national production being on a separate card.  Also the two halves of the map don’t exactly line up properly.

Haven’t gotten a chance to play it yet, but it looks like i might need more plastic units for certain countries.  Like perhaps more tanks for japan.  I still have all my revised plastic pieces, so i can supplement as needed.

All in all it seems like a good “upgrade”, but if i didn’t have stuff from an older version of the game, i would likely be really upset.  I’d much rather spend $100 instead of $60 and get a complete game instead of one that feels like it’s been cut down to the bare minimums.  Make two versions of the game, the normal $60 version, and a “deluxe” one for more that gives things like molded plastic IC’s, paper money, more dice, marshaling cards, and maybe a cleaner looking map with separate production card.

• My thoughts exactly. The game itself is pretty good, but feels cheap if you had the revised version in the past.

• @Sean.C:

I’d much rather spend $100 instead of $60 and get a complete game instead of one that feels like it’s been cut down to the bare minimums.

They’ve clearly tried to do some production line management with the newer A&A games. They’ve tried to determine which parts of the game their average customer considers worth paying for and which items he doesn’t. If you’re reading this, then you’re a lot more hardcore about A&A than the average customer they’re trying to reach, and you’d probably rather have the more expensive but more complete game. I know I would.@Sean.C:

Make two versions of the game, the normal $60 version, and a “deluxe” one for more that gives things like molded plastic IC’s, paper money, more dice, marshaling cards, and maybe a cleaner looking map with separate production card.

I do like the idea of having a deluxe/collector’s edition. Even if it had to be $120 or a little higher.

• No plastic ics is at the limit ok
    but no paper money is like selling monopoly with no money and asking to count it on a separate piece of paper
    Also they miscounted the value of the territories on the map (germany should be 41 and uk 31) it’s kinda lame

Me two I had only revised and 2nd ed was my first upgrade. I like the bigger map and the new sculpt and the new unit cruisers
    And has you said
    @Sean.C:

All in all it seems like a good “upgrade”, but if i didn’t have stuff from an older version of the game, i would likely be really upset.

But I bought it for 40$ so I’m not disappointed
    Still a great game

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m