• Founder TripleA Admin

This probably more of an “events” post but fewer people read that forum than this one.

I’m on my way out of Indy from GenCon and I just wanted to report that had a blast paying Axis & Allies at the convention! Greg (SmoreySwamp) runs a smooth operation - maximizing fun despite the fact it’s only 3.5 days of gaming. The prizes were amazing as well.

You really have to experience it to understand it. It’s a pressure cooker playing in a tournament and it’s a different game of Axis & Allies but still enormously fun.

Brief summary:

• Played in the Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures League, which is a ton of fun, and made it to the semi finals.
    • Played 2 casual games of the new Axis & Allies 1942 Second Eition.
    • Played in the Axis & Allies 1942 Second Edition tournament, lost the first game, won one of the wildcard spots by chance, took on a great partner (Walt, an amazing A&A player), won two matches (thanks to Walt), made it to the finals, and got EPICALLY diced on turn one (9 ones, 6 twos, 5 threes, all missed), but managed to lose by only 1 victory city.

For the other games, by the end of the tournament bids were in the range of Allies plus 10-15. I think the sweet spot is around 10-12. I can’t comment on bids for non-tournament AA42SE but I think they might end up being higher.

Photos will come within the next 7-10 days on the website and Flickr.

• Sounds like a good time was had by all…

No sightings of E40 or P40 2nd editions on the ground?

• @djensen:

For the other games, by the end of the tournament bids were in the range of Allies plus 10-15. I think the sweet spot is around 10-12. I can’t comment on bids for non-tournament AA42SE but I think they might end up being higher.

10-15 Allied bids for Second Edition? That sounds a lot for a bid considering how long the game is out. How was the bidding process done?

I’d love to hear descriptions on where the bids were placed in your games :)

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yes, the winners of the A&A Global tournament received copies of Second Edition. You can ask Squirecam for spoilers. Congrats guys!

@Make_It_Round:

Sounds like a good time was had by all…

• @djensen:

Yes, the winners of the A&A Global tournament received copies of Second Edition. You can ask Squirecam for spoilers. Congrats guys!

@Make_It_Round:

Ring-a-ding-ding!! Can’t wait for pics…

• Founder TripleA Admin

I don’t have pics of AA49 SE, yet. I’m hoping that the lack of response from Wizards is due to GenCon and that I’ll reeive a preview copy soon.

• TripleA

@Hobbes, I am not surprised at the bid.

• I am. Too much in my opinion.

• @wittmann:

I am. Too much in my opinion.

OK, just got the event rules for bidding, here

It is an increasing system (Team A bids 1, B bids 2 or passes, etc.), I’m not surprised they reached values so high - this system and the new setup makes Allies appealing to play since it has different options from previous editions. People probably didn’t had much experience with the new game so the values went so high, and with this system you could get a bid of +50 or more if both players kept going…

If it had been done bidding down (as I’m used in either FTF, GTO or TripleA), where someone would start by bidding 12 or something and then going down, then the values would be much lower.

• 15 seems ridiculous. INF on Egypt, INF on Karelia and 3 INF in Caucasus lets SSR overwhelm Belorussia, Ukraine & West Russia (93% to win ALL battles) without exposing all its ARM or sending a FTR to Egypt. SSR can realistically end its R1 with something like INF ART 2 ARM AAA on Ukraine, 3 INF ART on Belorussia, 3 INF ART 2 ARM AAA on West Russia, 2 INF on Archangel, 5 INF on Russia, 5 INF 2 FTR on Ukraine, and 5 INF on Yakut/Buryatia. I think this puts Germany in a real tough spot.

• Keep in mind that the victory conditions format for the tournaments at GenCon are not exactly the OOB conditions.

The 1942 tournament was played for 5 hours and you just needed to win the VC count (7-6 or greater). However, since time was limited, it is probable that you have to hit back at the Axis at a faster rate than ‘normal’. The Allies do not have the luxury of having a strategy that wins them the game after 7, 8 or 9 rounds. There will not be enough time for that (in almost all cases).

We found that the bid for the first round of the tournament (6 games) was pretty low, on average and then went up from there as players realized what I think we all have been saying - that the Axis have an advantage in this game.

That being said, a bid of 10-12 is still quite a bit - but, if that is what it takes to balance the game (again, in the format we use at GenCon) so be it.

I will say that overall, feedback was very positive about the game itself. It actually clocked in at $44 at the conference, which I think is not a bad price point at all.

MM

• Thanks for explaining things, like the time limit, MM. Obviously I know nothing of how tournament games work.

• Great to meet you at Gencon !

Just so we are clear, the tournament we won was AA50, not global. But I do have a copy of Europe 40 2nd ed. My partner sold the Pacific version, but I can report no new countries were added and the map lines were drawn much clearer. Seemed more “glossy” in color. �

I am happy to open G40 and answer any Q about changes, just give me a day to unwind.

Also congrats on your finish. Walt is a good player and I’m glad you guys hooked up and made a run at the championship.

• Any major set-up changes in E40, Squirecam?

Other than that, pics of new sculpts would be greatly appreciated…

Cheers, MIR

• @Make_It_Round:

Other than that, pics of new sculpts would be greatly appreciated…

As would any information Squirecam can recall about the new sculpts in the Pacific version his partner sold.  I’m especially curious about whether ANZAC now has its own distinctly-designed troop sculpt.

• Could you make a new topic with pics of the 1940 2nd ed plz

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

I can’t think of a better way to unwind then to sit at a computer and post pics to feed the hungry masses that lust after AA knowledge.

It’s like trying to see the first pics of a newborn panda at the zoo or something.

• @hkytown1:

It’s like trying to see the first pics of a newborn panda at the zoo or something.

A more adequate analogy to me would be more of flesh hungry zombies that just smelled some human meat walking around…

• squirecam must… post… pics.
    BRAAAINNNNSSSS!!!

• @djensen:

@Make_It_Round:

Sadly DJ, the global winners did not get copies of g40 2nd edition, we did however get copies of guadalcanal and battle fo the bulge.  It seems like the 50th Ann and 1942 tournament winners get priority over the global winners.  Something that I hope changes later on.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m