• I must confess I don’t understand the appeal of the new AAA units.  Essentially, the AA gun has been neutered, first by only allowing up to 3 rolls per unit, plus giving the attacker back the ability to choose casualties, no longer allowing for the chance to hit more valuable bombers.  To my thinking, this significantly reduces their value, yet their cost was reduced by only 1 IPC.  Now, instead of having 6 IPCs worth of units to protect against that 8 or 10 plane luftwaffe, it will take 15-20 IPCs worth.  Doesn’t seem like a good value to me.

I suppose some value comes from being able to use AAA as fodder, but at 5 IPC a pop, that’s some pretty expensive fodder.  But on the other hand, each dead AAA costs nothing in terms of combat ability, at least for that battle.

I get what they were trying to do, making AA guns more suitable for protecting your units instead of constantly using them to shield your industrial territories, but it seems to me like they are just going to be one of those units that don’t get replaced once they get blowed up.

Allow me to add the caveat that I haven’t actually played a game with these rules yet, so maybe it will all become clear once I see it in action.  Perhaps one of you can explain to me the error of my ways.

• I just finished a game that russia built 4 AA guns. (20 ipc) they killed two fighters, 1 tact bomber, and 1 str. bomber. (42 ipc) yes this was a global game but I was using the new AAA rules. I think it’s worth wild investment but then again I had 3 of them get killed vs. Japan without killing a single plane.

• I think if you play without the VC (as I would), this helps out Germany in a defense of Berlin, but also helps out your Russian stack advancing.  If Germany counters, you have the ability to buy time…the goal should be to advance your AAA with that Russian stack at all costs.  Of course Germany can use this in the advancement of its stack as well…I see it helping out more in Global than here (especially against those evil Japs), but could be the difference between holding the line and surrender.

• TripleA '12

Hey guys, it says in the rulebook that AAA units can be taken as casualties in regular combat but it doesn’t really give any more info as to how this happens. Do AAA units get placed on the battlestrip along with your other units? Their name is not listed on the Defender’s side. How have you guys been playing it? Curious and somewhat confused, many thanks.

• Customizer

Same as Global. Lets say you have 1 AAA, 3 Infantry and 1 tank and you take 2 hits. You could take the AAA off and one inf where before you would take off 2 inf and if the enemy won the battle they would take your AAA.

• Off topic Loz: Amazon have a company selling 1941 for £20.
    Not heard of them, but they have 20000 reviews, only 88% good though(is that enough?)They have 1942 for £40 too.
    Also, my friend has said I can have the 5 Tigers in exchange for Panthers.
    I bit of his hand!

• TripleA '12

Okay, thanks for the replies. The way we have been playing it is: the defending AAA unit(s) fire at all the attacking aircraft that they can. Then any surviving aircraft are placed on the battlestrip along with all the other attacking and defending units.

So, I think I should put the AAA unit(s) in column 1 of the Defender’s side before the combat begins. Then roll for my AAA unit(s) if there are any attacking aircraft and remove casualties immediately. Then regular combat begins but the AAA unit(s) cannot fire any more.

@Wittmann - Thanks yes, I am keeing a keen eye on the prices but I wasn’t particularly impressed by some of the feedback that that seller had received in the past. Will keep you posted.

• Wondered if you had seen it. Cannot beany worse than my Cool Stuff experience, but I would stick with Infinity. They have been great.
    Am aiming to sell my Europe40, as I am desperate for the new Italian sculpts. Would have ordered from FMG, but am not getting stung for tax again.
    My friend can paint. What did you use on those Nip tigers?

• TripleA '12

Don’t blame you mate. I used just a normal black games workshop paint and then a coat of glossy varnish. Haven’t used the painted Tigers consistently yet but it seems to have done the trick. Time will tell…

• @wittmann:

Off topic Loz: Amazon have a company selling 1941 for �20.
    Not heard of them, but they have 20000 reviews, only 88% good though(is that enough?)They have 1942 for �40 too.
    Also, my friend has said I can have the 5 Tigers in exchange for Panthers.
    I bit of his hand!

I gotta put a plug in for 12-7 Games; 42.2 for 42 bucks, 41 for $19.25. Got my product within days of the release. Check 'em out!

http://www.12-7-games.com/catalog/board-card-games/avalon-hill

• Thanks .We are in England and cannot afford the Import Taxes.

• Customizer

Not sure about import laws but FMG is in Canada and they might not ding you importing into UK.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Allow me to add the caveat that I haven’t actually played a game with these rules yet, so maybe it will all become clear once I see it in action.  Perhaps one of you can explain to me the error of my ways

This is the problem.

Wait till your LIFE is depending on those damn things, and suddenly you’ll appreciate them.

Atleast they DIE as opposed to change sides to your enemy, and cost $6.  And atleast if you have to face them, you can overwhelm them - OR protect your bombers from them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m