• I have no boxes for my units.  Is this right? Am I meant to mix my 5 nations’ pieces or expected to construct some sort of container?
    Seems wierd and not what I have come to expect of A&A.
    Thoughts?

• You’re not the only one. When I received my copy last Thursday I was also checked too see that there were no ipc, no industrial complex figures and no trays. I have only ever owned the original aa 2nd edition from Milton Bradley and expected the same quality.

• Customizer

@maxx001:

You’re not the only one. When I received my copy last Thursday I was also checked too see that there were no ipc, no industrial complex figures and no trays. I have only ever owned the original aa 2nd edition from Milton Bradley and expected the same quality.

A lot has changed in the past 25ish years. A&A has improved its gameplay and overall appearance greatly. However there have been some setbacks. Namely:

Last set to include paper money was AA50 in 2008
    Last set to include a full size battle board was AA50 in 2008
    Last set to include plastic complexes was AA42.1 in 2009
    Cardboard AA Guns used in AAP40.1 and AAE40.1 from 2009 & 2010
    No boxes (or plastic inserts) in AA42.1 (2009), AA41 (2012), AA42.2 (2012)
    National production included on board in AA42.1 (2009), AA41 (2012), AA42.2 (2012)

Don’t get me wrong, these setbacks frustrate me (especially lack of an organizational system) but as a whole the quality of the games have been increasing especially when you consider inflation. IMHO; and I do own every version of the board games excluding NOVA)

• Bags work fine too.

The game is also cheap enough to allow small food containers to be bought for pieces.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I hated those styrofoam trays.  My units kept getting stuck in them

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The best part was when your buddy came over and said “whats this?”  then flipped it over to look at the other side… :S

• I would have a stroke if that happened Gargantua

• @Gargantua:

The best part was when your buddy came over and said "whats this?"  then flipped it over to look at the other side… :S

HAHA!!  Yes, that hapened to me many a time.  For some reason, Shogun seemed to have it happen the most.

• Customizer

@Pacific:

HAHA!!  Yes, that hapened to me many a time.  For some reason, Shogun seemed to have it happen the most.

Yeah, remember how the piece trays had that cardboard shield so no one else could see how you allocated your koku? Invariably, someone would turn to one side and their hand or arm would hit that shield and SCATTER!

I’ve taken to using Plano or Flambeau adjustable containers for my game pieces. You can find them in the sporting goods departments of most stores (they are meant for holding fishing lures and such). I just love them but I am starting to accumulate quite a few because I keep changing how I want my containers organized and with accomodating the new sculpts plus stuff from HBG and FMG. I’m afraid that it’s eventually going to get to the point that each country will have to have two containers to accomodate all the varying types of units available.
    I mean, have any of you seen the projected lists for the 3 Japan sets HBG is planning? Between them and what we already have OOB, Japan will have 5 different fleet carriers, 4 different battleships, 2 cruisers, 3 destroyers and I think 3 types of subs, not to mention all of the many added units, like light cruisers, heavy bombers, etc. Plus, I don’t even know what FMG is planning for their Japan set. With all these different units and types, Japan will need two containers for sure. In fact, all the major 5 nations might. Still, it’s cool to have all these options.

USA proper.JPG

• Thanks everyone. Had hoped my box was faulty. Oh well.
    Also hate how all the bags say: Made in China. Pity.
    Do like the map.

• Customizer

I use my E&P40 boxes with Ozimeks paper inserts for my games. All UK units in one box and France and China together in another leaves room for 2 boxes holding chips and factories and our custom Air and Naval bases.
    That said they are the only ones that come with boxes recently. it almost relegates other games to expansion sets. They should offer booster packs with things like 3-D bases, IC’s and containers IMO.

• @Most:

it almost relegates other games to expansion sets. They should offer booster packs with things like 3-D bases, IC’s and containers IMO.

I 2nd that

• I think there are 10 ICs at setup, and I just got the game and only 10 cardboard tokens come in the box.

Man, I was hoping to use the tokens, but with just 10 that really ruins the fun if someone builds a new one. You would have to move one off you capital or something.

I guess I’ll bust out my old plastic one from one of my now defunct versions of A&A

• I was surprised there were only 10. Think that means there are 2 spare!

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@wittman:

I was surprised there were only 10. Think that means there are 2 spare!

That’s correct, two to spare after setup. Would be nice to have 16 or so.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Imperious:

Bags work fine too.

The game is also cheap enough to allow small food containers to be bought for pieces.

I loved them.  Kept things organized.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I do not feel cheated at all. Just get some cheap snack sized ziplock bags or some “craft bags” and you’ll be fine. I’m more disappointed that UK came with only 2 aircraft carriers. I don’t like having to use Soviet naval pieces as substitutes.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Oh dont worry, I’m pretty good with my hands, gunna MAKE some trays for them - assuming I am convinced it’s a good game and not another bad sequel…(yes, he’s had a couple.)

• I posted these before in a different thread but thay are relevant here too.  They take a little time and patience but they are dirt cheap (as in nothing to 10 cents) and they store nicely in the box because you make them to fit the box!  There’s a certain amount of pride in them when they get used too because you know that YOU created them from junk….just cardboard and glue.  IMO they are the perfect solution because they are tailor made for whatever pieces and whichever game you are going to store in them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m