Not enough units.. How many more?

• I’ve been reading in some topics that many people think there not enough units to play a good game. My question is how many and what for units do you need extra? Is it wise to buy an extra game just for the units? Not everyone have units from other editions of A&A.

• I don’t think one can certainly play with the existing units in the box, but you might run out in some games (not very many however).  The best way to get more units is to order them from historicalboardgaming.com.  You can order individual units for reasonable prices (a dime, quarter, etc.).  George Husted has a great summary list for ordering on boardgamegeek.com.  Here is link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/831772/which-sculpts-on-historicalboardgaming-com-will-ma

In addition, I would order a few infantry for each nation if you don’t own earlier editions.

Good luck!

• George Husted’s list, however, is for sculpts from other A&A games.  AA1941 has distinctive sculpts, so if you prefer having a uniform set of sculpts you’d be better off buying a second copy of AA1941 (which is cheaply priced).  If you like variety on the other hand, then any game will do.

• Ok thanks!

• Customizer

This reminds me of classic where you occasionally would have to use a piece paper or a nickel for that 3rd aircraft carrier you bought.

• Customizer

Yeah, I came up with that problem on my first game. UK already had 2 destroyers, one by Canada and one down by India and they needed to buy a 3rd destroyer. Luckily, I just got one from my existing pieces because I am an A&A piece junkie. If I just had the single copy of 1941, I would have had to do like Bob said and write “UK destroyer” on a piece of paper and put it on the board.

Personally, I would tell anyone to get at LEAST 2 copies of this game; one for the game itself and one just for the extra pieces. Luckily, it’s not that expensive, about $20-$30 depending on where you order it from. Coolstuffinc.com had them on pre-order for $19.99 each, but I don’t know if that was just a pre-order price that will go up after the 27th or if it will stay that amount. Unlike the 1942 2nd Ed game which can be as high as $50, maybe more. That could be quite a chunk to pay just for extra pieces, although from what I’ve heard, the 42 game comes with many more pieces so you probably wouldn’t need extra copies.
    For my own uses, I have ordered many more copies of 1941 and most should be arriving tomorrow. I have one order for 2 from a place called 12-7 Games and I have so far not received any shipping notice from them yet. Maybe they are waiting until the 27th to ship. All the rest are from Coolstuffinc.com and they shipped on the 24th to arrive tomorrow. Like I said, I’m a piece junkie. Need more pieces…MORE! AHHH HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I used all the chips I could when playing this game and came up short on UK destroyers, Japanese destroyers, and German tanks. Everything else was adequate unless you like the look of two individual fighters on a carrier instead of 1 with a chip. In that case you will want a couple extra fighters for Japan and the US.

HBG will be selling individual pieces from 41 soon for those who can wait a bit.

• TripleA '12

I have completely swapped out all of my 1941 peices with those from my Spring 1942, save the German Tigers and the Soviet AC Carriers (I also painted all of the Japanese Tigers black so I’ve got 10 German Tanks now). It’s a shame to not use those nice new sculpts but oh well, no big deal.

• This morning the game arrived and this afternoon i went to a local game shop and bought another one. A bit strange to buy two games to play one…  Especially because this is a good game for new players who don’t have units from other versions of A&A. How do you explain this to those new players?

• Customizer

Perhaps with certain strategies, the amount of pieces in each game is sufficient. Otherwise, I suppose you could say that WOTC included so few pieces in order to cut costs and keep the game cheap.

• Why not buy another game in the series like 1942? After all, you get the extra units (which will be different models so make your armies more interesting) and you get the extra game. If you are an A&A piece junkie and you already own loads of versions then a second '41 might be what you are after. If 41 is the only game you own then why spend money on the same version twice? I would wait and see what the new 1942 is like - or find an old copy of revised. I still love that game. Or Anniversary (but that might be a bit pricey - and global?).

• i’m planning on buying a 2nd copy just for the pieces, but I’m working on house rules for all the new pieces to use in Global. I have no plans to play '41 as a stand alone game anytime soon.

• I have to say that we were constantly swapping chits under inf early on (was a little annoying, but the green chits are pretty cool). Even setting up the board was tight. We also had to snag a dd for Japan in the first turn buy. I could easily see the same problem for western allies. As the game goes on though and you start trading units it doesn’t seem to bad. You can’t really afford to buy units as quickly as you lose them in this version (LOL). I will say the strategy is quite a bit different from any AA game I’ve played before. You certainly respect your starting air more and your trying to figure out how to get more fire power with limited resources.

• I think the name of the game is value units.

• TripleA

there are enough units, but I guess if two turtles are playing… yes you need more units, just grab some out of another box.

5 inf should be enough.

• this is the 1st A&A game I bought twice. and I have everything from Classic to 2nd edition

• good thing I got 2 sets coming this week.

• Customizer

I’ve been scarfing up old 1942 versions as they cost just a tiny bit more than the new 1941.
    It is well worth it at the price vs. getting 2 1941 versions due to the number of extra pieces.
    They will last you more than a little while unless you have to have the new 1942.
    However, getting both 1941 and 1942SE games will give you better flexibility and more parts to play with and gives you a much larger board.
    I wouldn’t suggest getting 2 1941 copies unless you are a piece junkie like me.

• @sgtwiltan:

I’ve been scarfing up old 1942 versions as they cost just a tiny bit more than the new 1941.
    It is well worth it at the price vs. getting 2 1941 versions due to the number of extra pieces.
    They will last you more than a little while unless you have to have the new 1942.
    However, getting both 1941 and 1942SE games will give you better flexibility and more parts to play with and gives you a much larger board.
    I wouldn’t suggest getting 2 1941 copies unless you are a piece junkie like me.

Well i’m getting my 1941 games for under $30 ea. shipped, so theres not much of a differance in price compared to the original 1942 price which has been going up, just saw one go for over $40 shipped.

• I might even end up getting a 3rd copy. I would like to have enough pieces to use the units in Global

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m