• so, who has the game and would like to share some new things about it with us?

• Game still in progress, but played a couple hours (first game learning curve?). Will continue tonight. Didn’t record notes, just going off memory (which isn’t always a good thing LOL)

t1
    Russia buys ground units and has minor boarder clash. They pull back to Moscow, and Siberians head home.

Germans (me) take Kar, and slide everything into Ukraine (W Russia buffer zone). Germany kills UK fleet sz 8 (bb), and sub hits dd/tpt off Canada (warships sunk English tpt survives). I decided Africa isn’t worth it and pull units out w/tpt to the continent.

UK buys a ftr, kills German Med fleet (was a given), merges sz 29 & 33 fleet to sz 27 off Mad ? (1dd, 1sub, 2tpts).

Japan buys a dd (had to borrow one from G40). Attacks and kills newly merged UK fleet in SZ 27 (what was he thinking :?), takes Phil & Szec also does Pearl (lost a ftr to US bb so Japanese carrier fleet is kept at a safe distance). Most of Japans fleet is in sz 38 (Phil/Caro Is). Japanese player is new to AA, but he can roll.

US is cautious, buys fleet for W US, but stays at port. E US tpt w/inf & tank goes to Canada.

t2
    Russia liberates Szec, def Caucasus w/4 inf and continues to reinforce Moscow and pull units home.

Germany again buys 2inf, and 1 tank. Attacks and takes Caucasus with everything it can, ending up with 5 inf & 4 tanks on it (sets up counter attack on Ukraine).

UK takes S E Asia (abandons India), pulls Atlantic fleet to sz6 (carrier w/2 ftrs, dd, sub. Fly’s 1 ftr to Moscow.

Japan amphibs S E Asia to retake it (loses only 1 inf). Attacks 2 Russian inf in Szec w/2inf and 2 ftrs (wants to weaken the Russian counter attack on German held Caucasus). This is the first time the dice betrayed the new Japanese play (he gets it now), he didn’t kill anything in two rounds and had to retreat  :? He has rid the UK from his side of the board though (they only have 1 inf on Australia), but the US is patiently sitting/building very quietly.

US to my surprise again stays at port and builds only on the Pac side. Another tpt etc…  8-)

t3
    Russia buys more inf, and counter attacks Caucasus with nearly everything. Battle goes so so, and Russian have a hand full of units left in the end (didn’t want Germany to keep the IC). I think they also took W Russia w/1 inf left.

Germans do same buy (2 inf, 1 tank) need inf to start def against UK landings/counters. Retakes Caucasus from Ukraine has 1 tank left. Also retakes W Russia w/units from Kar & E Europe (has 4 inf & 1tank left). Moscow is looking pretty ripe.

UK amphibs an unoccupied Nor/Fin w/1 inf & tank via sz3 (US follows up w/tpt inf & tank of their own). England fly’s 2 more ftrs off carrier (sz6) to Moscow. Their fleet in sz 3 is pretty weak (empty carrier, dd, and sub), but my ftrs are out of range. I can still hit it w/BB and bmr though.

Japan takes E Indies w/1 inf (needs $) and takes Szec w/1 inf from S E Asia. Also blitzes tank in and out of India to claim it from S E Asia. Japan is running low on ground units and didn’t want to expose its only tank to counter attack from Mideast by leaving it in India, but does have an effective counter attack if the UK takes the India bait. The bulk of the Japanese fleet heads home (sz45) to await the US.

The US buys a bb but continues to sit on the side lines. This is getting strange (I think he is just F*** w/us)

t4
    We played for a couple hours, and will continue later on Russia’s turn.

Russian/German options:
    Now that the UK has 3 ftrs def Moscow the odds favor them greatly (even though the Russians don’t have much left). If the Russians try to retake Caucasus w/2inf & ftr from Russia (I only have a tank their), it will weaken their Moscow force just enough for me to attack (yeah a couple inf mean a lot in this game). If he leaves Caucasus I can mobilize inf their and attack Moscow in a round or two (balls in their court).

I could also hit the UK fleet in sz3 w/bb and bmr (can’t believe I still have the bb in the Baltic, guess he didn’t want to risk his limited resources). If successful it would set the western allies back (odds are w/me), and I’ll only have to deal w/4 units they landed in Nor/Fin. It would allow me to continue to build for the take over of Moscow, and then I’m only fighting a one front war (Japan has Asia under wraps for now).

I have to say because resources are so limited each little battle has a big impact. This game has a whole new feel to it, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out. One round w/bad dice could be disastrous (or terrific if your on the other side).

• Dunno why it takes a few hours for you to play this, Bill.
    We polished off a game in 1.5 hours flat.
    Resources are scarce in this game, so don’t waste anything.
    Keep in mind also that you can only build so much every turn.

The game we played was an Axis win, but I don’t think UK was played very effectively.
    Go with the 2 capitals victory conditions.

• I have been teaching my 8 year old to play with this game, and so far it is great.  He is working on math, pre planning, geography and causal skills.  I think this game is perfect for a quick fix and or for teaching.  I think there is currently a significant Axis advantage although my proof is only antidotal, after I have a few more games with someone who knows what they are doing or against myself, I will have a more definitive answer.  But I will say every build counts in this game, and pre-planning is a must, any singular bad build can loose you the game, especially for the allies.

• Customizer

Interesting that so much strategy is being thought out for this game as when we first saw the reviews we were thinking this was remedial A&A. I’m starting to think this might be too difficult for the ten year old. I’ll have to let him be the Axis I guess.

• This is not a game to be taken seriously.  That’s why it would be fun for kids.  Tanks that blitz from one side of Asia to the other?
    Also if you want to teach history try and go with a historical game.

• so is the lesser amount of IPC’s is really the secret for it playing faster? does that mean if you cut the IPC’s of europe in half you could finish a game in a few hours?

• Probably. Would be unfair to the Allies though as they start with fewer units and their extra income is compensation. Thinking of US in particular. Might be worth a try. Global can get tedious, so Europe often my choice of game. What would you do about the NOs? They could double Germany’s and Italy’s income.

• 1/2 rounded down for those as well I suppose.

• @Cromwell_Dude:

For all the guys that dream of a wife or girlfriend playing Axis and Allies with them, then 1941 is a very good start.Â

lol I got looked at like I was from Mars when I asked her to play a game of '41 with me.

• lol I got looked at like I was from Mars when I asked her to play a game of '41 with me.

Try again, but this time tell her if she beats you (at the game obviously!), you will buy her some shoes.

• @wittmann:

lol I got looked at like I was from Mars when I asked her to play a game of '41 with me.

Try again, but this time tell her if she beats you (at the game obviously!), you will buy her some shoes.

I tried I’m from the moon now so no luck

• Lol I’m in the same boat with that one  :-D

• I did get her to play one game of D-Day about 6 months ago.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m