• I’m pretty sure that units cannot load into a contested seazone, but need someone to clarify. Here’s the situation. US holds Norway and has an AB and minor on it. Germany has a sizable fleet w/transports in sz113. If US builds a destroyer into sz113, does that prevent Germany from loading troops in W. Germany? Can Germany move his transports to sz114, load from Berlin, re-enter sz113, and conduct and amphib assault? I’m pretty sure they can’t load from WGer, but can from Berlin. Also, I’m assuming that an AB alone with scramblers doesn’t make that a contested seazone for the combat move phase correct?

• @seththenewb:

I’m pretty sure that units cannot load into a contested seazone, but need someone to clarify. Here’s the situation. US holds Norway and has an AB and minor on it. Germany has a sizable fleet w/transports in sz113. If US builds a destroyer into sz113, does that prevent Germany from loading troops in W. Germany? Can Germany move his transports to sz114, load from Berlin, re-enter sz113, and conduct and amphib assault? I’m pretty sure they can’t load from WGer, but can from Berlin. Also, I’m assuming that an AB alone with scramblers doesn’t make that a contested seazone for the combat move phase correct?

Correct. Germany must move their transports to a seazone that is not hostile, immediately load, and then they can perform an amphibious assault.
    Scrambling only occurs after combat MOVES are complete, so while they can prevent an amphibious assault from occurring uncontested, they cannot prevent an amphibious assault from loading.

• Awesome, pretty much what I remembered. I was hoping that the fact that it ‘could’ become a hostile seazone from scramblers would stop the invasion, but I can live with spending 8 bucks to hold Noway. Thanks for the fast response!

• That’s awesome.  :-)

• @Vance:

That’s awesome.  :-)

I know, I’m a slippery little fella. Mooooove on Germany, your time has passed!

• TripleA

Wait, I am already in the sea zone I need to be to load my transports at the start of my turn, I am not moving into a contested zone, I am already there occupying the same spot.

I have transports in sz 113 he placed a destroyer in sz 113. I am pretty sure I can load off of west germany since the rules states I cannot move into a contested zone to load, but I am not moving… I am already in it at the start of my turn.

• TripleA

I am going to need an official ruling because the RAW says otherwise.

• Customizer

what is RAW?

here is my understanding:

You could:

1. move the transport out of the sea zone, pick up units somewhere else (berlin), then move back into the sea zone, and unload them to Norway.
    or
    2. move the transport out of the sea zone, conduct combat and defeat the destroyer, then move the transports back into the sea zone and pick up the units in West Germany and then unload them anywhere friendly
    or
    3. leave the transports where they are, conduct combat and defeat the destroyer, (transports can no longer move, since they were in combat), and pick up the units in west germany and then unload them anywhere friendly

please krief, confirm if anything I said is wrong, or not fully right….

• TripleA

RAW is rules as written.

At the beginning of the Combat Move phase, you may
    already have sea units in spaces containing enemy units that
    were there at the start of your turn. For example, an enemy
    may have built new sea units in a sea zone where you have
    surface warships. When your turn comes around again, you
    are sharing that sea zone with enemy forces.
    If you are sharing a sea zone with enemy surface warships
    (not submarines and/or transports), this situation requires
    you to do one of the following:
    � Remain in the sea zone and conduct combat,
    � Leave the sea zone, load units if desired, and conduct
    combat elsewhere,
    � Leave the sea zone, load units, and return to the same sea
    zone to conduct combat (you cannot load units while in a
    hostile sea zone), or
    � Leave the sea zone and conduct no combat.
    Once these sea units have moved and/or participated in
    combat, they cannot move or participate in the Noncombat
    Move phase of the turn.

Here is what is not clear. 1st it states surface warships which transports are not. 2nd I am choosing to remain in the seazone, it does not state I cannot load units if I decide to do that.

A transport can load units while in any friendly sea zone along its route, including the sea zone it started in.

This is under the transport section in combat movement. When playing by the rules as written you have to assume both statements are true and in order for both statements to be true, I can load in an occupied sea zone.

The second half of that last statement I last quoted is not repeating the first half of the statement in that sentence, that would be redundant. A route by definition includes the start and the finish, the including therefor implies I can load in contested sea zones provided my transports started there.

• TripleA

These rules have been pretty much the same since classic, if germany bought an IC on west germany, it would not stop UK from loading units for the whole game with 1 naval purchase every round.

Even in revised placing a destroyer did not stop germany from loading in contested sea zones. Same with AA50. In fact global would be the first Axis and Allies board that does not allow loading in shared sea zones.

They call it shared for a reason.

No where in the rules does it explicitely state I cannot load transports in shared sea zones.

• TripleA

Also if players cannot load units in contested sea zones… once allies get korea, japan could never load units from japan if the allies place a destroyer there every round… that would make no freaking sense at all.

• Customizer

@Cow:

� Leave the sea zone, load units, and return to the same sea
    zone to conduct combat (you cannot load units while in a
    hostile sea zone)

what about the second part of this one?  the sea zone is hostile if there is a surface warship in it….

• Dear Cow,

1. kcdzim is recognized as one of kreig’s deputies and his rulings are pretty much gold plated
    2. The rules you quoted says

this situation requires you to do one of the following:

Staying in that seazone and loading from there is not one of those options. Hence, not allowed.
    3. It’s in the FAQ . . . ruling by Kreig himself
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19919.msg796814#msg796814

@Krieghund:

The only time that you can load transports in a hostile sea zone is in the combat movement phase in which you declare war. �This may only be done under those conditions if the transport started the turn in that sea zone and the sea zone has just become hostile as a result of the declaration of war.

• @Cow:

These rules have been pretty much the same since classic, if germany bought an IC on west germany, it would not stop UK from loading units for the whole game with 1 naval purchase every round.

Even in revised placing a destroyer did not stop germany from loading in contested sea zones. Same with AA50. In fact global would be the first Axis and Allies board that does not allow loading in shared sea zones.

They call it shared for a reason.

No where in the rules does it explicitely state I cannot load transports in shared sea zones.

They’re shared seazones BEFORE a DOW. After that they’re hostile(contested) seazones. The rules were different before in that in the past you could not build into a hostile seazone, it had to be a friendly one. Global/Pacific are one of the newer iterations of allowing builds into hostile seazones. Hence, in say in the classic example you referenced, Germany could not build into the seazone around UK unless it was cleared of allied ships.

• @Veqryn:

what is RAW?

here is my understanding:

You could:

1. move the transport out of the sea zone, pick up units somewhere else (berlin), then move back into the sea zone, and unload them to Norway.
    or
    2. move the transport out of the sea zone, conduct combat and defeat the destroyer, then move the transports back into the sea zone and pick up the units in West Germany and then unload them anywhere friendly
    or
    3. leave the transports where they are, conduct combat and defeat the destroyer, (transports can no longer move, since they were in combat), and pick up the units in west germany and then unload them anywhere friendly

please krief, confirm if anything I said is wrong, or not fully right….

I’m not Kreig, but I’m 100% sure that you can’t move the transports in both the combat and noncombat phase. I’m leaning towards no on both #2 and #3.

• To clarify, I’m 100% option 2 is out the window. And I’m maybe 80% no on option 3 since my understanding is that those transports ‘participated’ in a battle and can no longer load during the NCM portion. I could be wrong though.

• '12

You can only load in a contested seazone on your turn if you just made DOW that caused the seazone to become contested.  That’s clear in the rules (and probably worded much better :D).  That is obviously not the case here.  Option 1 is correct.  The transports can move 1 space out, load and return for an amphibious assault.  The US destroyer’s value here is that it is blocking German shore bombardment (which may well be worth its cost).

• No cruiser or BB shots, but he has 7 transports and the only way Germany can fully load those transports is if he can load from both Germany and Western Germany. One DD to stop 7 more attackers is well worth it IMO.

• '12

yep. Well played.

• The units from West Germany could get to Norway only during Noncombat Movement once z113 is no longer hostile, but not as part of the amphibious assault.  Options 2 and 3 would both be NCMs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m