Axis & Allies 1941 First Preview

• Founder TripleA Admin

Here are the photos and some of the details I’m sure you are all interested in:

http://www.axisandallies.org/p/axis-and-allies-1941-contents-of-the-box/

• '10

Thank you!
    Haven’t even looked at it yet, but thank you!

• the Japanese get tigers too? i love their new navy though

• …the UK gets ISIIs?
    …the Japanese get Dorniers?

Still, it’s pretty amazing that we now have pieces to signify weapons developments, and / or support various house rules.

Any map less detailed than Global 40 can take a walk, but nevertheless

I WILL BUY THIS.

• '10

I see they increased the listed playing time on it to upwards of 3 hours :?

With less IPCs (from a glance I think the US starts with 17, UK with 12, Russia with 7, Germany with 12 and Japan with 9) there could be a tendency to delay attacking with the inability to replenish your losses.

36 to 21 in initial setup seems to really favor the Allies so I’m sure the Axis have more troops, which would historically be correct anyway.

Still, hope most games don’t take the three hours it’s now saying.

• The allies seen to all have the same soviet tanks…huh?

The axis seem to have the same tanks and bombers…huh?

OMG the Germans have the Akagi carrier! and Kongo Battleship sculpts LOL this must be a joke hahahah

Thanks Djensen for taking the time to get this up the same day you got it.+++

• The map and income structure is VERY different!  See my comments on djensen’s other thread

Where is everybody?  Come on, it’s only 2:00 AM Central  :-)

• '10

I posted the initial IPCs a couple posts back. They are interesting.

I guess because the US and UK has to purchase a navy that they get the big difference at the start.

Any easier shuck for the allies, but German air power has a further reach now too.

• '10

Also wondering about abilities like submarine’s surprise attack, or SBR.

Would think they would be removed for simplicity, but with the destroyer present the sub rule may stay.

• My initial impression based on the pieces and map:

Yuck!

Now, regarding the map, here’s something new and unexpected (compared to Spring 1942)

• It doesn’t seem possible to transport units directly from the US to the UK anymore
    • The distance between Berlin and Moscow is the same as Spring 1942, but the distance between Tokyo and Moscow has been reduced by 2 territories, if you go through Siberia. In fact, if you land in Siberia you’re directly threatening Moscow.

• I’m hoping that the rules are tight. I can trade out pieces at will….
    I really don’t want to be playing '41 Alpha 3+…

• Customizer

Well, I will say that I like the new sculpts that are country appropriate. Seems really weird for UK and USA to have Soviet tanks or for Germany to have Japanese ships. Looks like they really went “bare bones” on this game. At least it’s cheap. Curious to see what 1942 2nd Ed. looks like.
    [quote author=Hobbes link=topic=27527.msg969953#msg969953 date=1338978026]

• The distance between Berlin and Moscow is the same as Spring 1942, but the distance between Tokyo and Moscow has been reduced by 2 territories, if you go through Siberia. In fact, if you land in Siberia you’re directly threatening Moscow.
      [/quote]
      Remember some of the old games when you actually had Japan rushing across Russia with tanks and capturing Moscow? It looks like now they can do so with infantry. I know it’s a smaller map, but I’m surprised they made Russia into so few territories.
      [quote author=Col. Ty Webb link=topic=27527.msg969930#msg969930 date=1338967140]
      Also wondering about abilities like submarine’s surprise attack, or SBR.

Would think they would be removed for simplicity, but with the destroyer present the sub rule may stay.
    [/quote]
    Yeah, I thought they would have destroyers as sort of a “sea infantry”, so you just didn’t have battleships and carriers. But since they also have subs, I would imagine they can still surprise strike unless a DD is present. I wonder if Battleships will be 2-hit ships.

• My 2 cents:
    US has 17 IPC of territories, but on the Nat Production strip on the top of the map its initial position is on 15…

start speculating…

• Customizer

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder why? I guess we will find out when we get the rule book.

Notice how many territories are now worth 0 IPCs? Plus, how low some of the main territories are. I am wondering what the cost of units will be. If they are the same as our current games, nobody will be buying much each round.

• At one point Krieg said that there would be extra incentives to buy the 1940 reprints…

I’m led to think that those games will incorporate all of the new sculpts seen here in 1941 (where nation-appropriate), as well as the ‘antiaircraft artillery’ for each power to be released with 1942 later this summer.

The expected, and much-needed, reworking of the rulebooks, boards and set-up charts is pretty much a given.

As I said before, I believe that the off-nation sculpts included in this edition will be highly collectible to invested players as ways to represent tech developments or house rules; but most experienced players will probably hold off until the fall when they’ll see the same treats included in Europe 40 and Pacific 40 revised.

• [quote author=marcoflowers link=topic=27527.msg969965#msg969965 date=1338980861]
    My 2 cents:
    US has 17 IPC of territories, but on the Nat Production strip on the top of the map its initial position is on 15…

start speculating…[/quote]

Could be that the Philippines start in possession of Japan… but then it’s 1941…

• TripleA '12

I expect the U.S. 17/15 IPCs issue is a mistake.

• I think I would wait and see what the new German and Russian sculpts from HBG look like.  The cardboard chips are just sad, and no ICs either.  But yeah it might be good if you want to show someone the game.

• I know that the WotC preliminary announcement gave some of the new sculpt identifications, but I’m wondering if a full list has been released yet by Larry, Krieghund or some other official source.  Does anyone know this?

Failing that, could djensen perhaps post pictures of one of each of the news sculpts alongside one corresponding piece each from Global?

• No artillery, cruisers and AA-guns.
    I’m curious about the rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m