• Customizer

Questions about Paratroopers tech.

1. I assume that you can move the the units over any territory that your air units could normally fly over.  In other words: no friendly or strict neutrals, and no impassible territories.

2. Can you split up the infantry?  Like, can your airbase in Scotland put 1 infantry in Norway, and 1 in Normandy?  Or do I have to keep them together and pick only 1 destination per airbase?

• @Veqryn:

Questions about Paratroopers tech.

1. I assume that you can move the the units over any territory that your air units could normally fly over.  In other words: no friendly or strict neutrals, and no impassible territories.

You are right; taken from Europe40 Clarifications:

Paratroopers may not “fly over” neutral territories. They must obey the same movement restrictions as air units do.

@Veqryn:

2. Can you split up the infantry?  Like, can your airbase in Scotland put 1 infantry in Norway, and 1 in Normandy?  Or do I have to keep them together and pick only 1 destination per airbase?

There’s nothing about that in the rules. I would assume yes as they are moved like air units. But I have no proof for that.
    Most important seems to be that they must support an attack. So in your scenario both territories must be under attack by other units, too.
    On the other hand wording in the rulebook is “a territory”… not “territories” …

• TripleA

Paratrooper rules are different than before? Man I got to keep up with the times, I played tech games but no one rolls for it till their final battles.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The attacks are NOT restricted to a single territory.

If you had 2 bombers in Scotland, and 2 infantry, you could use them to support the attack at 2 other locations.

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

The attacks are NOT restricted to a single territory.

If you had 2 bombers in Scotland, and 2 infantry, you could use them to support the attack at 2 other locations.

Who said anything about bombers?  Paratroopers requires airfields.
    Assuming that Scotland had only 1 airfield, and 2 infantry, and nothing else, you should still be able to launch the infantry in a paratrooper attack.

And like Panther said, the rulebook says “a territory”, not “territories”, so I am leaning towards assuming that means only 1 target destination per originating territory.

@ Panther, air units can fly over enemy neutral territories, and I assume paratroopers can fly over enemy neutrals (like flying over finland as the allies) too.

I request something official from Krieg….  :)

• Seeing as bases don’t normally limit the number of territories being targetable - I can’t see it should/would for paratroopers (despite being a tech enhancement).
    It would be a strange requirenment that all units exiting from one territory to be fixed on attacking the same territory.

It would also make no logical sense to limit in that manner if viewing from a military strategical viewpoint. Paratroopers are shipped by airplanes. Airplanes can launch from one location and fly in what direction they choose. There’s just not a transport airplane piece in the game, but it’s ‘built in’ to the tech.
    It would be like loading two transporters in one base and forcing them to move to the same seazone because of the base if such a restriction existed.

• @Veqryn:

@ Panther, air units can fly over enemy neutral territories, and I assume paratroopers can fly over enemy neutrals (like flying over finland as the allies) too.

Hm…what I read from the Europe40 Rulebook is:

• Air Units may not fly over friendly neutrals
      and
    • Air Units may not fly over unfriendly neutrals unless they are attacking them
    • Strict neutrals are treated as unfriendly neutrals

I found nothing that supersedes this in Clarifications and Alpha. Only the clarification stated above.

• Customizer

@Xandax:

Seeing as bases don’t normally limit the number of territories being targetable - I can’t see it should/would for paratroopers (despite being a tech enhancement).
    It would be a strange requirenment that all units exiting from one territory to be fixed on attacking the same territory.

It would also make no logical sense to limit in that manner if viewing from a military strategical viewpoint. Paratroopers are shipped by airplanes. Airplanes can launch from one location and fly in what direction they choose. There’s just not a transport airplane piece in the game, but it’s ‘built in’ to the tech.
    It would be like loading two transporters in one base and forcing them to move to the same seazone because of the base if such a restriction existed.

You can rationalize either choice in any number of ways.  All of the rules for A&A end up being rationalized, even if you could also rationalize the exact opposite rules.

I don’t really care which rule is chosen.  I only assumed 1 destination because the rules appear to say only 1 destination.  Also, this is not an “aircraft” like a bomber or fighter, this is a single airbase.  Perhaps it makes sense that such a huge undertaking as a Airborne Paratrooper operation would require that each airbase only have 1 target.  That could make sense to me.  It at least makes just as much sense as requiring that the destination already have a land or amphibious attack under way.

• @Gargantua:

Bombers carry paratroopers in AA50.
    In Global40 the Paratroop-Infantry “flies itself”.

• @P@nther:

@Veqryn:

and

I found nothing that supersedes this in Clarifications and Alpha. Only the clarification stated above.

Another interesting question may be if the paratrooper has to stop in the first hostile territory.
    It was like this in AA50. Global rules say nothing about this. So I assume that in Global the paratrooper may continue it’s move.
    Just to bring this point to attention.

• TripleA '12

Perhaps Krieghund could clarify the difference between the rules for Paratroopers tech in the AA50 and 1940 games?

• @Veqryn:

@Xandax:

Seeing as bases don’t normally limit the number of territories being targetable - I can’t see it should/would for paratroopers (despite being a tech enhancement).

You can rationalize either choice in any number of ways.  All of the rules for A&A end up being rationalized, even if you could also rationalize the exact opposite rules.

I don’t really care which rule is chosen.  I only assumed 1 destination because the rules appear to say only 1 destination.  Also, this is not an “aircraft” like a bomber or fighter, this is a single airbase.  Perhaps it makes sense that such a huge undertaking as a Airborne Paratrooper operation would require that each airbase only have 1 target.  That could make sense to me.  It at least makes just as much sense as requiring that the destination already have a land or amphibious attack under way.

It’s not ‘one airbase’ - it’s one infantry unit you move. So in that respect - I’d say it is like ‘an aircraft’.

• Official Q&A

P@nther is right.

• Customizer

@Krieghund:

P@nther is right.

Ok, so I can split my paratroopers up and attack different territories.  cool.

Next question:
    Are paratrooping infantry subject to airfire together with other air units, or separate from other air units?

What i mean is, can I send 2 infantry to a giant assault on the UK, in order to soak up two AA hits that would have otherwise gone towards my massive Bomber airforce?  (because I can choose AA casualties, i pick the infantry instead of the bombers)

I am going to assume yes, because aa casualties are aa casualties, no matter who is being fired at.  Call it an advantage to the relatively weak power of paratroopers.

thx,
    veq

• Official Q&A

@Veqryn:

Ok, so I can split my paratroopers up and attack different territories.  cool.

No, you can’t.

@Veqryn:

Are paratrooping infantry subject to airfire together with other air units, or separate from other air units?

Separate in box rules, together in Alpha 3.

• Krieghund, can we please have a confirmation for the following issues:

a) Air Units / Paratroopers flying over friendly/unfriendly/strict neutrals

@P@nther:

@P@nther:

@Veqryn:

and

So Paratroopers (as Air units) cannot fly over friendly neutrals.
    They cannot fly over unfriendly and strictly neutrals, either, unless they are attacking them.
    Is this correct?

b) When do Paratroopers have to stop?

@P@nther:

Another interesting question may be if the paratrooper has to stop in the first hostile territory.
    It was like this in AA50. Global rules say nothing about this. So I assume that in Global the paratrooper may continue it’s move.
    Just to bring this point to attention.

Is my assumption correct?

Thank you :-)

• Official Q&A

@P@nther:

So Paratroopers (as Air units) cannot fly over friendly neutrals.
    They cannot fly over unfriendly and strictly neutrals, either, unless they are attacking them.
    Is this correct?

Yes.

@P@nther:

Is my assumption correct?

Yes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m