GARGANTUA'S $200 TOURNAMENT OF EXTRA DEATH AND PAIN (TripleA Only) 2xELIMINATION

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

WELCOME TO THE SIGN UP FOR GARGANTUA’S TOURNAMENT OF EXTRA DEATH AND PAIN

To begin, let me explain to you the purpose of the tournament and why I’ve sponsored it.  Because there is a purpose, and you all deserve to know about it, and each of you should consider yourself part of the mission.

1. To Promote TripleA, and get users who are unfamiliar with it, or new to it, teamed up with people who do use it, to encourage growth in the community of the game via TripleA.

2. To encourage members of the community to seek out other members that they have NEVER partnered themselves with, or don’t know anything about, so that the community grows, understands each other better, and is forced to get along :).  I am counting on each of you, to work hard, and find a partner you don’t know anything about, or who hasn’t played online, and twist thier arm into joining you.  DO IT.

That means If you are reading this, and have never played online, consider this your DRAFT NOTICE.  I will be sending PM’s to Random people, and encourage them to come here.  If that’s you, you can POST IN THIS THREAD if you are looking for a teammate, but feel free to try the PM route.

3. To turn the bystanders that simply READ these forums, into warlusting axis and allies championship contenders.  And get more people playing the game here.

The target will be 16 teams.  But we’ll see how many we get.

All that said… let me begin in explaining, how this tournament is going to be run :).

RULES
    1. Garg is in charge, and is the sole administrator for resolving game conflicts (So get the F along), if tournament rules need to be clarifiied, or you have questions, comments, or suggesstions, direct them to ME.

2. ALL GAMES will be TripleA version 1.5.2.1 PBF - or Live Game (But you must atleast upload a save file to a thread)
          - All Games will be TEAM vs TEAM  That’s either 2 OR 3 players per team, no larger.
          - All Games will be 1940 GLOBAL ALPHA 3.9+ NO BID.  Side will be determined by a die roll.
          - TECH IS OPTIONAL, both sides must agree, (Though I’m not 100% certain it is working yet)

3. TOURNAMENT IS DOUBLE ELIMINATION  That means you would have to lose TWICE before you are out.

4. WINNER takes home $200 (Or possibly more), Payment will be in USD, sent via Paypal, or Western Union.  You can split your winnings, donate them to AA.org, or the team leader can just take it all and backstab his team mates.

5. Regular Tournament concepts and common sense, like being courteous, and posting regularily etc APPLY, and are submit to my whim and wrath as previously explained in rule # 1.

6. This is the MOST IMPORTANT RULE.  In order to have a team that qualifies, atleast 1 player on the team, MUST BE NEW TO TRIPLEA.  And must be someone you don’t know in real life.    You can demonstrate this by just telling me the truth, and making appropriate attempts to meet and draft new axis and allies players.  You must also name your team.  You can’t be on more than one team, and no “making new accounts” for multiple entries.

7. for the purpose of entertainment, gargantua reserves the right, once per PBF game, at any time, to add a single unit, piece or facilitiy to the board, for one - or both sides.  gargantua also reserves the right to change players on a team at the start of a new game.  Part of winning this tournament, includes surviving ME.

:)

If you don’t have tripleA, read this information below.

TRIPLEA WITH ALL MAPS ALREADY INSTALLED - IS AVAILABLE VIA DOWNLOAD HERE - RIGHT NOW

|
                                                      \ /

FOR MACINTOSH
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/TripleA/stable/1_5_2_1_bundled/triplea_1_5_2_1_mac.dmg

FOR WINDOWS
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/TripleA/stable/1_5_2_1_bundled/triplea_1_5_2_1_windows_installer_with_java.exe

IF you need a linux install, I have one available.

Copy paste this for entry / team submission

example:  1. billsgate and stevediedathisjob = Team MACDOWS

TEAMS

• We need a thread for recruiting teammates

Thanks Blood N Guts.

2 other things…

1.  I may enter my own tournament with a teammate.  Any disputes will be subject to objective ruling

2. ALL GAMES MUST REMAIN FRIENDLY, and your intention must be to play your opponent at thier best.  Ridiculous changes are too much,  but for the little things - let em slide.  Of course, come to me if there are problems, and I’ll make the call.

I’m sending out Conscription notices… if someone has the courtesy to PM Gamerman,  Apparently he has me BLOCKED lol.

Dearest Gamerman01,

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN OFFICIALLY DRAFTED FOR
    GARGANTUA’S $200 TOURNAMENT OF EXTRA DEATH AND PAIN

IT’S WAR!  And from hence forth, you are now to call yourself a soldier of AA.org.

Your orders are to report to this (link below) section of the forums IMMEDIATELY, and follow said instructions.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27103.0

FAILURE to do so, will result in diminished social status on the site.  You will be considered ‘un-cool’.  The time has come, you must fall in line!

NO EXCUSES will be accepted, whether you play the game or not, or whether you have the programs installed or not is irrelevant, you WILL succeed in your total conversion into an AA.org Championship contender.

MOVE OUT SOLDIER! MOVE! MOVE!

General Garg salute’s you!

Feel free to copy and paste this, and send to random users to get them onto your team, and playing the game!

It’s time for the draft!

Due to popular demand… I’m willing to come down from the rule that you musn’t know the person in real life.

For example, if I convince Tall Paul to enter… I’d like to see his father come online and show us how the Battle of the Bulge was won!

Though I’m still encouraging everyone to get new players into the game!

• What if we’ve never played AA 1940 Pac or Europe?

• TripleA

Question: How will we split the countries? Can I give general advice to the guy? I hate to have to micro manage someone lol. When newbies play newbies… allies typically win because the axis drag the game out lol, but I could be wrong.

TEAMS
    1.Cow + Anyone that wants to be on my team

• TripleA

1.Cow + Veqryn
    ~

Can I choose which country I get? Popular demand wants me to play Japan. Also How do you split the allies up?

• TripleA

I am actually hoping to get veqyrn to play global.

That’s good enough TDJ :)

• I don’t know how the online play works but I just downloaded the map and I’m interested. Does everyone sit at their computers and play real time until the game is over or is the game played when people make moves over the course of a week, etc. ?

• Customizer

uhoh, never played global before….

I’m in though.

Also:

1. Tech is out.  Tech does not work in TripleA (well it does, but it uses AA50 tech, which is not good on the global map at all)

2. I’ll release a new copy of Global 1940 soon, and everyone will have to download it for this tourney, so that everyone is using the same version.

• I’m in and I’ll see about bringing in a guy who’s never played online before.

• 2007 AAR League

I think I played a PBEM game of tripleA about 2 years ago. What category do i fall into? Newb or veteran?

• Hey, so I have a couple of few possibly more quick questions. I didn’t see anything about how the $200 prize was going to be raised. Is it coming out of your pocket? Is there an entrance fee to play? Do we have a sponsor like FMG or some such? Did you buy a lottery ticket?  :wink:

And is there a deadline to get a team signed up for? Or is it just the first 16 teams that sign up? What happens if there’s enough interest that 18+ teams want to sign up? You seemed ready and willing to narrow the field, but is 16 the max # of teams?

• TripleA

veqryn we might need a third player because the most important rule is unfamiliar with triple a, you may not have played global, but you are the most familiar!

• Customizer

ya thats fine.  you’ll have to find the guy, cus everyone i know already knows triplea….

ps: 
    Gargantua, I think this is an awesome gesture and will be fun as hell.  But I also don’t want you breaking your piggy bank to personally fund this tourney.  I’m sure we would get just as many participants with a Reward of $100 or $50 instead of $200.  (or an entry fee of $5 to help offset the cost…)

It would also be cool if the prize was split between the first 3 teams, like 60% for 1st place, 20% for 2nd place, and 10% for 3rd place.  That would give me a hoping chance in hell to win against all you crazy experts…

• @Veqryn:

ya thats fine.  you’ll have to find the guy, cus everyone i know already knows triplea….

ps: 
    Gargantua, I think this is an awesome gesture and will be fun as hell.  But I also don’t want you breaking your piggy bank to personally fund this tourney.  I’m sure we would get just as many participants with a Reward of $100 or $50 instead of $200.  (or an entry fee of $5 to help offset the cost…)

It would also be cool if the prize was split between the first 3 teams, like 60% for 1st place, 20% for 2nd place, and 10% for 3rd place.  That would give me a hoping chance in hell to win against all you crazy experts…

I agree whole-heartedly General!

I’m not opposed to splitting the prize, if that’s what the majority of teams want.  But remember, the teams are 2 or 3 people.  3 people winning $20, makes me lol.

ALSO, I have no problem spotting the $200 and sponsoring it myself, if it’s going to generate interest, promote team play, promote tripleA, and promote the site/community.  I’m game.

There are exceptions to every rule, but the importance of a rule isn’t what’s written, so much as it is the spirit of the rule.

Remembering the purpose of the tournament, yea, if you are new to global, or if you haven’t played tripleA in years - and this is going to kick start you back in, those are acceptable mediums for entry.  So long as you are making an effort to team with new people, and try tripleA/global 3.9+, it’s not that big of a deal.

What I don’t want to see, is JUST the regulars playing another tourney, it’s time for new blood!

I am willing to take as many teams as are willing to enter. I don’t care if it’s 50 teams, that can be managed.

Official cut off for team entry will be 3 weeks from today (May 18th 2012), and will likely be the start of the tourney,  but if we reach an acceptable pinnacle of teams before then, we may start early.  So get registered right away!

Also, depending on how many teams enter, determines how many brackets/games will be played,  if we say have an odd number of teams like 21 or something, some teams will have to play an extra game at the start of the tourney, THUS REGISTERING EARLY will spare you this fate, and give you the best chance to win!

So prepare your troops! And Prepare your offensives! It’s going to be a challenging struggle to the top!

P.S. The best way I have found to interest new random users, is simply to PM them, and invite them to this thread.  They tend to reach out on their own from there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m