What the deuce will AntiAircraft Artillery be?

• So, what will this be? Are you excited?

• Nothing of this, I suppose.

Maybe AA Guns as introduced with G40 Alpha 3 final.

• Maybe they’re going back to having plastic sculpts instead of cardboard tokens, and they want to make it sound like the introduction of something new instead of the return of something old.

• Customizer

I don’t really agree with any of the choices. I think as a unit, AA Guns will be like in the latest Alpha rules:
    One shot at attacking planes @1.
    Up to 3 shots per gun OR 1 per attacking aircraft, whichever is less.
    Multiple AA guns allowed per territory.
    AA Guns can be used to take hits in combat. If enemy takes a territory with no combat, all AA guns immediately destroyed.

I think the main change might be that we will get AA guns in each country’s color now, rather than in neutral grey. As for what the actual sculpt might be, whether it will be a different one for each country or the same type of unit in different colors, we won’t know until the game gets here.

• @knp7765:

I think the main change might be that we will get AA guns in each country’s color now, rather than in neutral grey. As for what the actual sculpt might be, whether it will be a different one for each country or the same type of unit in different colors, we won’t know until the game gets here.

May be that the German AA will be the 88, since it the word is that it is already getting a new artillery piece for 1941.

• @Hobbes:

@knp7765:

May be that the German AA will be the 88, since it the word is that it is already getting a new artillery piece for 1941.

Oh… that’s true! That would make a lot of sense: Germans get a “real” artillery piece, and the 88 becomes the AA Artillery. Hobbes, I think you got it.

• A new unit that gives us long time AA gamers a reason to buy the game. And we will because we can’t get enough of this game. That is what the AA artillery is to me.

• @coorran:

@Hobbes:

@knp7765:

Oh… that’s true! That would make a lot of sense: Germans get a “real” artillery piece, and the 88 becomes the AA Artillery. Hobbes, I think you got it.

And possibly it is the AA piece for Japan as well, based on what I’ve just seen from WW2 Japanese AA guns - most are similar to the 88 although they aren’t copies of that model. And probably the Allied piece will be based on the already old AA piece, since most UK/US types are similar as well.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@CWO:

Maybe they’re going back to having plastic sculpts instead of cardboard tokens, and they want to make it sound like the introduction of something new instead of the return of something old.

@P@nther:

Nothing of this, I suppose.

Maybe AA Guns as introduced with G40 Alpha 3 final.

Ding ding! Yep, I think this is it.

• '10

I’m not so sure. The new 1941 games says it’s based on the 1942 2nd edition rules. If 1941 is the intro game, we can possibly deduce that the 1942 rules won’t be too complicated.

• In brief it is just

• each AA Gun fires at max. three planes so you need more AA Guns to fire at more planes
      and
    • AA Guns can be taken as casualties

that may be “new” in 42 2nd and maybe 41.

• I’m thinking the old AA guns are going away and the AA Artillery is the replacement.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

You mean to identify it as different from the Facility AA? Probably right.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

maybe they are going to start integrating the Guadalcanal concept.  That if I hit on a 2 you choose, but if I hit on a 1, I choose.

• @Gargantua:

but if I hit on a 1, I choose.

You get to choose for any game that is played on earth?! jk :-)

• Now that the first few pictures of the pieces in the new 1941 game have started coming out, I decided to go back to the preliminary announcement for next month’s 1942 2nd Edition game to see if there were any hints that the new pieces in the 1942 game might be some of the same sculpts being introduced this month in the 1941 game.  I couldn’t really tell, but in looking again at this part of the announcement…

“There are 5 new sculpts in the game including UK artillery, submarine & destroyer units; German artillery; and a Russian submarine. There’s even an all-new combat unit: the Antiaircraft Artillery!”

…I was reminded of how bizarre it sounded when I first read it.  It says there are five new sculpts, and it lists them, then it mentions that there’s also an “all-new” AA unit.  It therefore seems pretty clear that the AA unit can’t be a new sculpt, because otherwise they would have said there were six new sculpts rather than the five which are already accounted for.  So either it’s a re-use of the old generic AA sculpt from the first few A&A games, or it’s not a sculpt at all but rather a token or some such thing.  In both cases, the “all-new” part makes no sense because the majority of past A&A games have had AA units.  Are they perhaps just referring to new / different capabilities being given to an old unit (which in my opinion would, at best, make it “somewhat new” rather than all-new)?  No matter which way one looks at it, something doesn’t seem to add up.

• I think they are going to make artillery double as AA guns. I REALLY REALLY hope they don’t. but I could see them doing it.

• i think they are the new AA gun as things are now we have alot of confussion. UK gets radar US builds an AA and ships it to france to reenforce british units who does the AA gun belong to again it’s been an hour of playing and seeing as they are all cardboard or grey i forgot who built it or where it came from… oh crap this sucks.

• Customizer

The rule for foreign ak-aks has always been to put a roundel under it.

• yeah i know but AA guns have kind of changed there role in the game. Before global it was: station you’re AA gun where your IC are to protect them and they pretty much stayed there even after you loss the territory the guns are captured.

Now they are more of a hybrid unit. IC defend themselves and the AA guns fight and die with your over units but in combat behave by far more differently then any other unit in the game. On top of that they are still a generic piece.

I think AA Artillery will fix the hybrid part of the unit. It can attack and defend normally. Die with your infantry. Have a “limitation” like subs but it’s can’t hit land units instead of can’t hit air units. And most of all they will be color coded for each nation. I’m hoping there a scupts for each nation but sadly I think there’s a good chance that the Allies will share the same scupts and the Axis will share the same.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m