TripleA map for Global 1940 Alpha Final

• Customizer

A few days ago I put the finishing touches on a stable release of TripleA, now version 1.5.2.1, and also fixed a few more little errors that popped up in Global 1940 Alpha map files, now version 2.6
    With this done, I am comfortable with presenting it for general consumption by everyone on the A&A.org forum.

http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki

The work on both the TripleA engine and the Global 1940 map will continue, until it is perfect.  
    As of right now, there are a few, mostly unimportant or easily worked-around, things that are not finished.  But the map is playable according the latest Alpha rules, and quite a blast to play live online.

Download the latest TripleA
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/files/

How to install maps using the “Download Maps” feature inside TripleA (the preferred method)
    http://www.tripleawarclub.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=1&post_id=941#forumpost941

Instructions:

1. Run and start up TripleA.  Then click “Download Maps…
    2. Take the following link, and copy it into the text box, then click “List Games

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/tripleamaps/triplea_maps.xml

3. Scroll to the map you want, which is “World War II Global”, and then click “Install Game
    4. Repeat process to install any other maps you want, then restart TripleA.  Done!

Install Global 1940 map files manually
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/maps/World%20War%20II%20Global.zip

You should run TripleA at least once before you try to install a map manually.
    After you have run TripleA once, you can go download the map file manually from the above link.
    Do NOT unzip.  Just leave it zipped please.
    Then put the map zip into this folder location:

(Windows XP)  C:\Documents and Settings\userName\triplea\maps
    (Windows 7)  C:\Users\userName\triplea\maps
    (Mac)  /home/user/documents/triplea/maps/
    (Linux)  /home/user/triplea/maps/

After you have finished installing TripleA, and installing Global 1940 map, here is how to begin playing:

1. Click “Choose Game…” and select “World War II Global 1940 Alpha”, and press “OK”
    2. Click “Start Local Game” or “Start PBEM Game” (or “Play Online”, or “Host Network Game”)
    3. Choose who is playing who, and fill in anything else needed, then click “Play” to begin

If you have any questions, post them or pm me,
    thanks,
    Veqryn

TripleA_world_war_2_global_1940_alpha_smallest.png

• Customizer

A few things are not quite done yet,
    and I hope to clear them up in the next few months.

1. Convoy zones blockading does not roll dice yet.  This means ships do guaranteed damage.
    Current way: subs do 2 damage, normals ships do 1 damage, carrier aircraft do 2 damage, carriers do zero.
    Technically, this is equal to the alpha +3 ways on average.
    (assuming you roll all six numbers on a die, the average is 1 damage per roll: (1+2+3+0+0+0) / 6 = 1 damage on average)

2. Technology doesn’t work yet

3. Kamikazes will “activate” and ask you if you want to use them if there is a ship in a kamikaze zone. It is YOUR job to know if you are allowed to use Kamikazes then or not.

4. USA and Japanese movement restrictions are not totally programmed in, so it is your job to know where you can and can’t move these nation’s units.

5. Know the rules!  Don’t let your tactical bombers raid factories, don’t move through neutrals the turn you conquer them, etc.

those are the big things that are still missing right now,…. everything else should be 100% as the rules say they should be.

this is the culmination of about 2 years work on my part, so enjoy!

thx,
    veqryn

global_1940_scramble_small.png

• '16 Customizer

THANK YOU! I don’t think anybody here understands your hard work, including myself, so hopefully a thanks will suffice  :-D This is awesome, especially for playing with people over long distances.
    You’re the best!

• Thank you for all of your hard work to make this happen.

• Customizer

Can this be moved back to the “A&A Global” section of the forum please?

There is no reason the global section can include modules for battlemap, but not modules for triplea

thanks,
    veqryn

• all software related items go here. If it is the physical boardgame of G40 and not a computer version of it, then that goes in “global”

• Customizer

ok, so why are there 2 stickied posts for aa battlemap modules in the global section?

all battlemap related things should be moved to software

or this simple post about global should be moved back to the global section

this post is purely about global related things, and it should be in the global section. 
    the people playing global don’t always check the software section, but they have just as much need to see the triplea module for global, as the battlemap module for global

• Great work! Finally!

I was able to install the software and open it. I was able to load the new map. But, when I try to start a game–from either the original or the alpha 3 version, as a local game or a PBEM–I have the following error: “Error reading PNG metadata”

MacBook Pro
    Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks!

• Customizer

I’ve never heard of this error message before, so I googled it.
    Seems like you need to update your Java.

Let me know if that fixes it, or if other maps work properly.

• I needed to upgrade my OS, but now with OSX.6 (Snow Leopard) and the correspondingly updated Java, it works great! Thanks!

• Thank you…time to kiss PBF goodbye. :-D

• Just finished my 2nd full game with many other game starts against the computer and everything ran pretty smooth for the most part and the graphics are amazing. I’ll have to figure out how to play online. The only issues I’ve got with the program outside of the issues you already stated needed to be worked are

• The units scale down beautifully, but the map doesn’t look great at all when you try to zoom out. I can see myself and others zooming out on a semi-regular basis during games to see the big picture. It’d be nice to have the map zoom out without losing territory lines.

• AA units don’t autokill like the transports do when they’re the only units left in a territory. This isn’t a huge issue but it does get frustrating when you send one infantry to take a territory and have to sit through 6+ combat rounds until he finally gets a kill.

• I had two games freeze while editing during the political phase. After editing some stuff and then exiting the edit function, the option to do politics or continue disappeared, effectively hanging the game. I didn’t try saving and opening it up again to see if that worked.

• It’s possible to place more then one IC/NB/AB in every territory. You can’t scramble more then 3 fighters or place more then the 3 or 10 units depending on IC size. But disabling one AB/NB with SBRs won’t keep someone from being able to move the extra space. This probably falls more under the follow the game rules bit you mentioned earlier.

Overall though, I’m very pleased with everything I saw. Thank you both for all the hard you’ve put into it. This will become my program of choice for getting my Global on! Your hard work will save others from having to write everything out.  :-D

• @seththenewb:

Just finished my 2nd full game with many other game starts against the computer and everything ran pretty smooth for the most part and the graphics are amazing. I’ll have to figure out how to play online. The only issues I’ve got with the program outside of the issues you already stated needed to be worked are

• The units scale down beautifully, but the map doesn’t look great at all when you try to zoom out. I can see myself and others zooming out on a semi-regular basis during games to see the big picture. It’d be nice to have the map zoom out without losing territory lines.

• AA units don’t autokill like the transports do when they’re the only units left in a territory. This isn’t a huge issue but it does get frustrating when you send one infantry to take a territory and have to sit through 6+ combat rounds until he finally gets a kill.

• I had two games freeze while editing during the political phase. After editing some stuff and then exiting the edit function, the option to do politics or continue disappeared, effectively hanging the game. I didn’t try saving and opening it up again to see if that worked.

• It’s possible to place more then one IC/NB/AB in every territory. You can’t scramble more then 3 fighters or place more then the 3 or 10 units depending on IC size. But disabling one AB/NB with SBRs won’t keep someone from being able to move the extra space. This probably falls more under the follow the game rules bit you mentioned earlier.

Overall though, I’m very pleased with everything I saw. Thank you both for all the hard you’ve put into it. This will become my program of choice for getting my Global on! Your hard work will save others from having to write everything out.  :-D

I concur with you precisely seth…exactly my observations…except mine did not freeze.

• I love the auto turn summary and PBF function with triplea. Just took a look at it and it was pretty easy to figure out once you read the directions.  8-)

• Customizer

@seththenewb:

Just finished my 2nd full game with many other game starts against the computer and everything ran pretty smooth for the most part and the graphics are amazing. I’ll have to figure out how to play online. The only issues I’ve got with the program outside of the issues you already stated needed to be worked are

1. I would like to improve the quality of the image when zooming out.  I don’t know how to do this though….

2. I’ll fix this.

3. Never happened to me.  Exit edit mode then save the game, then exit triplea and reload the savegame.  That should solve it.

4. I know you can place more than 1 Factory per territory, which is something I had to do in order to allow people to place the “factory_upgrade” unit.  However, I don’t think you can place extra NB/AB, and I’ll double check those.  Like you said, know the rules before you play.

Glad everyone is enjoying it.

• When you do another update…where will you post it???  Link???
    Thanks

• @questioneer:

When you do another update…where will you post it???  Link???
    Thanks

I recommend

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/

and

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/

When the “modified” date for the “maps” section has changed you can be sure that an update has been done.
    Or inside the map section you will find the maps where you can see the “modified” data, too.

• Is there an auto way to handle asking for scramble orders or OOL midturn or am I getting spoiled by the work that’s already been done? Asking for scramble seems pretty straightforward and would probably be handled much like it’s been handled in the past. Save the map right before the battles, post on the pertinent game thread, and ask for scramble orders. How about big convoluted battles involving multiple nationalities and units were the defender’s casualty choices could be big, such as losing bombers/aa/keeping one nationality’s fighting force intact by sacrificing some other nation’s arm/tac/etc?

I’m guessing you could save in the middle of the battle? And post that?

• @seththenewb:

I’m guessing you could save in the middle of the battle? And post that?

I have not tested scramble orders yet, but this is how it works during battles:

You can save in the middle of the battle. For example let the dice roll, see the hits - then save and ask your opponent to choose casualties via the forum.
    Then load the savegame and continue the battle removing the units your opponent told you.
    You can of course (manually) upload the savegame at any time. Your opponent can see what happened so far using the “show history” feature to be found in the “Game” menu.
    The “automatic” turn summary and the “final” savegame will be uploaded to the forum at the end of the player’s turn. There is a special dialogue for initiating this.

• Ok, pretty much what I figured. I was hoping for some snazzy auto post asking for OOL or scrambles. Thanks for the response though.  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m