I guess this means we won't get a reprint of global 1940

• Customizer

While I still am doubting that there really will be this 1941 (the box art looks like a shopped version of aa50, and the date is all too close to april fools for me)

I do though, think that there is no way Hasbro is going to print 3 runs of A&A in 1 year.

meaning that we probably won’t be seeing the reprint of global 1940….  :(

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

THAT’S why I’m glad you coded out Global in TripleA…

So their’s always an electronic way to play!

• TripleA '12

Whilst I have seen the ‘official’ source pdf that Wizards put out, I am still not averse to the idea that this is all in fact a hoax. I have not seen Larry (or Krieg) offically declare this game’s existance on his site.

However, I am still reasonably confident that a reprint of the 1940 games is still in the pipeline.

• @Lozmoid:

However, I am still reasonably confident that a reprint of the 1940 games is still in the pipeline.

As am I.  1941 is purporting a 1.5-2 hour play time which means it’s got to have a much smaller map.

I don’t see it being possible that they’re going to dump production of the epic level 1940 pacific/europe games (especially after all the updates to the rules) for something that has an MSRP of $30 or less.

Worst case scenario I can see them dumping Spring 1942.  Which, IMO is already a 1.5-2 hour play time version of A&A.

• Customizer

I am curious about this new game too. It seems to me like they are kind of going backwards. I mean, they came out with the 1942 edition which is pretty small and very easy to play compared to Anniversary or 1940. Then they make a game like 1940 which is very complex, so much so that they had to keep tweaking the rules and setup to get the game just right. Then they are going with a simple version again?
    This new 1941 game kind of seems like a remake of 1942, with different boundaries on the map of course. Also, I kind of assumed the next version of Axis & Allies would probably be a 1939 version. Something even more complex and requiring more political rules and such.
    On the other hand, it’s entirely possible that Wizards is simply trying to get a boost in sales with this new game. It kind of fits in two ways:
    1 – If it is a scaled down, simpler version that is quicker to play, it might appeal to new players that might be scared away from a more advanced game like 1940. Also, if the price is $30, that also could attract new gamers that don’t want to spend the $80 X 2 to get Global 1940 (not to mention the $300-$400+ some are asking for copies of Anniversary on eBay).
    2 – With all the new sculpts, this game would also be attractive to more veteran gamers that are really into A&A. They might have heard about FMG’s and HBG’s new pieces, most of which are very different from the “old” sculpts of previous games, and want to compete with them for our money. Also, at $30 per game, it’s cheap enough for some of us piece junkies to buy several copies to amass a large quantity of the new pieces to fit in with our current armies. Personally, Wizards wouldn’t exactly be “competing” with FMG or HBG because they are ALL going to end up getting my money.

So, I guess I’m just saying that this game could very well be a possibility. If it is a hoax, it’s a mean one and I’d like to roll over that person with a Tiger tank. I guess we will find out for sure in June.

• Customizer

All,

I’m guessing this might be re-named by the “faithful gamers” as “A&A Primer”.

The new sculpts might be really nice, though.

“Tall Paul”

• Can somebody get me an accurate list of pieces by type in AA42?

Ok . I found it:

Axis and Allies Spring 1942  Unit listing
    12 Ind. Complexes
    12 Anti-air guns
    20 Control Markers per Nation

US:
    15 Infantry
    6 Artillery
    6 Armor
    8 P-38 Fighters
    6 S. Bombers
    6 Submarines
    6 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4 Battleships
    4 Aircraft Carriers
    6 Transports

Japan:
    20 Infantry
    6 Artillery
    6 Armor
    8 Fighters
    4 S. Bombers
    6 Submarines
    6 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4 Battleships
    4 Aircraft Carriers
    6 Transports

UK:
    20 Infantry
    6 Artillery
    8 Armor
    8 Fighters
    6 S. Bombers
    6 Submarines
    6 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4 Battleships
    2 Aircraft Carriers
    6 Transports

Germany:
    20 Infantry
    8 Artillery
    12 Armor
    8 Fighters
    4 S. Bombers
    6 Submarines
    6 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    2 Battleships
    2 Aircraft Carriers
    6 Transports

USSR:
    20 Infantry
    8 Artillery
    10 Armor
    8 Fighters
    2 S. Bombers
    4 Submarines
    4 Destroyers
    2 Cruisers
    2 Battleships
    2 Aircraft Carriers
    4 Transports

10 Dice
    10 Red Chips
    50 Grey Chips

Now then we got these confirmed sculpts…since they confirmed the same piece count as we really have no reason to suspect different numbers by type since nobody complained about that.

P-40: 8
    Tiger Tank: 12
    AVRO Lancaster  6
    FW-190  8
    IS-2 tank 10
    HMS Hood  4
    He-111 4
    Akagi Carrier  4

Total confirmed unique sculpts: 56 out of 160, leaving 104 total with 8 unique sculpts…

so…

Lets see what should be replaced that is not on the list:

USSR Artillery  8  ( its been the same as UK and UK)
    USA Artillery  6 ( its been the same as UK and USSR)
    Japanese Battleships ( Kongo) 4 ( yamato in 1940 is a joke)
    British Artillery 6  ( its the same as USA and USSR)
    US Battleships ( early war BB) 4  ( Missouri at Hawaii 1941 is a joke)
    Industrial Complexes 12 ( same old crap since 1984)
    Anti-air guns 12 ( same old crap since 1984)

leaving 52 and 1 unique sculpt….it seems i picked the wrong ones and perhaps some of the Infantry are getting new poses.

Somebody else take this and come up with another solution. I am pretty sure that AA guns and Factories are getting changed out.

• Customizer

Well, at least one of the Artillery pieces will probably be the same. I think the 105mm Howitzer is an originally American piece, so perhaps UK and/or USSR will get their own type of artillery.

So you think they will change the industrial complexes and AA guns? I assumed those would still be little cardboard pieces. If they do make them into new and different plastic sculpts, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Perhaps they will change the US bomber to a B-24 or even a B-29. That was a nice idea you had of changing the Japanese and US battleships to earlier models. UK could use their own destroyer. UK and USSR could use their own submarine. USSR needs it’s own carrier.

Do you think they will omit the Mechanized Infantry and Tactical Bomber pieces? That would be a shame, although if they are looking to make a simpler game, I can see that happening. Some people get confused with those pieces on how they work and which other units they must combine with.

• If they’re making this game short/introductory, they’ll dump tac and mech and possibly arty or cruisers.

• @Imperious:

Total confirmed unique sculpts: 56 out of 160, leaving 104 total with 8 unique sculpts…

My understanding of the announcement is that there is 160 pieces, total, including new and old sculpts. AA42 has 365 total pieces:

SU - 66 pieces
    G - 78
    UK- 76
    J - 74
    US - 71

With only 200 pieces they will have to cut down these numbers by almost half - probably completely remove some unit types from some countries (Soviet ships for once).

• Ummm…removing all of 1 countries’ 1 unit, is CHEAP.

• Axis and Allies Spring 1942 Unit listing
    Starting with 370 count total…

Bold means new sculpts…total count 160 and 16 new sculpts�The PDF says each nation has 32 new pieces, so 160 divide by 5=32.

US:  76 total pieces — 32 new pieces ----3 new sculpts
    **20  new Infantry  **
    6   New Artillery
    6 Armor
    8 P-40 Fighters
    6 S. Bombers
    6 Submarines
    6 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4  New Early War Battleships
    4 Aircraft Carriers
    6 Transports

Japan:   74 total pieces––32 unique pieces—3 new sculpts
    20  New Infantry
    6 Artillery
    6 Armor
    8  New Fighters
    4 S. Bombers
    6 Submarines
    6 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4 Battleships
    4 Akagi Aircraft Carriers
    6 Transports

UK:  76 total pieces and 32 unique pieces with 4 unique sculpts
    20 New Infantry
    6  Artillery
    8 Armor
    8 Fighters
    6 New AVRO Lancaster Bombers
    6 Submarines
    6 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4 New  HMS Hood Battleships
    2  New  Ark Royal Aircraft Carriers

6 Transports

Germany:  78 total pieces–-32 unique sculpts—4 unique sculpts
    20 Infantry
    8 New Artillery
    12 New Tiger Tanks Armor
    8  New FW-190 Fighters
    4 New He-111  S. Bombers
    6 Submarines
    6 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    2 Battleships
    2 Aircraft Carriers
    6 Transports

USSR:  66 total pieces–-32 unique pieces—3 unique sculpts
    20   New Infantry
    8 Artillery
    10 New IS-2 Armor
    8 Fighters
    2 S. Bombers
    4 Submarines
    4 Destroyers
    2 Cruisers
    2 Battleships
    2 New Aircraft Carriers
    4 Transports

• Hey Imperious is the infantry a guess on your part is that confirmed. New infantry pieces would be cool. I hope you are right.

• No that is my speculation if based on 370 pieces count, the same as AA42 which the game is said to be the same as in many regards.

• Hey Vegryn concerning the reprint I personally think you are going to get it. And I think you will get it with the new updated sculpts that are going to be in 41 and 42. I would expect them late in the year though. September or October just a guess. The fact that they got all the pieces being made now would make me believe they will do it now. The map and rules I think wouldn’t be to hard to make.  We shall see.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m