• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

For Official Records, please answer the 5 questions below to the best of your abilities, and with YOUR OWN OPINION.

Whilst Playing as Japan in Global,

1. Which Turn do you prefer attack?

2. How many transports do you try to keep in circulation?

3. What are the top 3 locations you place Industrial Complexes or Bases, and WHY?

4. What are the 5 most important territories to capture/control (besides capitals) and why?

5. What are the best Sea Zones to stage your navy out of and why?

Oh, and ALSO for the Record

J - Japanese
    A - Assault
    P - Planning
    T - Training
    I - Information
    C - Coordination
    S - Study

Thank you for your participation.

• Sponsor

I could tell you, but than I would have to kill you.

PS: the “S” should stand for suicide.

• @Gargantua:

1. Which Turn do you prefer attack?

Very dependent on Germany’s moves and Allied responses.

J2 if US is going mostly Atlantic initially.

Smash whatever navies you can while operating out of Carolines, and take Phillipines and Borneo.  This stages you to take the rest of the DEI on J3 quite well.  A J2 attack keeps Australia poor - it doesn’t get Dgu for the bonus, and the naval supremacy you’ll have will let you convoy them into turtling.
    An early attack also keeps India from getting large, as that’s 1-2 fewer turns they’d have with collect DEI/Hong Kong/Borneo income.  Italy may be a bit ruffled at you, but that’s tough sh*t I guess.
    This gives you a great foundation for a Pacific victory.

J3 if US went heavy Pacific at first.

Stage at Carolines on J1 to threaten a strong J2 attack, and then swing to SZ 36 on J2.
    Spread out on J3 and take the 5 main islands at once, if possible.  Australia will be a bit richer.
    Typically you just want to hold on to the DEI and see how hard your land forces can press against Calcutta with what money you’ve got.

J4 if US is going 100% Pacific.

Japan is not going to win the game.  A sad fact.  The priority becomes helping Germany win.  Once you’ve realized America’s intentions, stage for an attack on Russia as soon as possible.  Weaken Russia as much as you can to make Moscow easier for Germany to crack.
    You can take the DEI to give you more $ to stave off the Americans.  Or, take only Borneo and ignore the other 3 islands so America can’t take them for themselves once they’ve pushed you out.  Same thing with Fic.
    In the Pacific, play the most stubborn defense you can.  Utilize carriers filled with your 38572 planes to maximize your defense, and stage from Philippines for as long as you can.  Retreat to SZ 6 once it becomes impossible to stay.  Not fun, but it helps.

Important -  If US is going 100% Pacific, do not do Sealion, unless you can do it outrageously cheaply.  Pac-strat is a very strong counter to Sealion.

J1 is a fun alternative to standard strategies. Hold on tight, though.

Usually 6.  3 Initial, 3 purchased J1.  Sometimes I’ll buy another on J2 but probably not.  That’s usually enough to take what I need without risking too many transports being destroyed.

3. What are the top 3 locations you place Industrial Complexes or Bases, and WHY?

1 - French Indo-China.
    Pump 3 infantry a turn into a strong-point Yunnan stack, and trade Burma with India every turn.  Convoy the piss out of India and they’re making 3 a turn.  You are killing 3-6 IPCs a turn and have a net gain of 6 IPCs every turn.  India has a timer on its head if you played tight.

2 - Shantung
    In the event of Russia attacking - for whatever reason - this is your line of defense to that red horde.  3 Inf a turn, with planes, ensure that Russia cannot advance past Jehol.  Eventually they won’t even get past Manchuria.  You are reinforcing with 9 IPCs every turn.  Russia gets no reinforcements.  This strong point also serves as a way to prevent the Chinese - who will be stronger than usual because Russia attacked - from getting to the coast.  The two Chinese VCs and those rich coastal territories will stay in your hands.

3 - A third one is tougher to say.  I’d say Korea.

If US is going 100% Pacific, build a minor - to be upgraded when possible - in Korea, and shove mechanized units down Russia’s throat.  Because it takes so long to cross Siberia, you can stop after a few turns and focus on the naval battle you’re struggling to keep up.  Those 18 Inf can’t stop you once 15 tanks show up with however much Inf and Mechs you could muster.  Goodbye Moscow.

Other- Naval Base in Hainan + Airbase in Kwangsi makes SZ 36 a fortress from which you can threaten - and protect - half of the Pacific.

4. What are the 5 most important territories to capture/control (besides capitals) and why?

1 - Philippines
    From here you can keep check on all of the DEI.  It also prevents US from getting that NO.  With scrambling and kamikazes, it’s pretty damn tough to pry Japan from it.

2 - DEI
    These all pretty much fall under one category.  Worth a collective 20 IPCs to Japan - no sh*t it’s important.  I’d rate Borneo slightly above the other 3 because it’s India’s territory, and so taking it usually hurts India more than the other 3.

3 - Malaya
    Takes an NO away from Anzac, is worth 3 IPCs, and is a good site for a substitute/compliment to a Fic IC.

4 - Yunnan
    A stack here stops China from getting too out of hand and lets you simultaneously threaten Calcutta.
    Right next door to a Fic IC which fuels it with infantry.

5 - Hong Kong
    Harder to think of a 5th territory.  Worth 3 IPCs and has a victory city.  Pretty nice.

I’d say Fic as one but it’s pretty much a gimme once you declare war.

SZ 33 -
    If you’re seeking a Pacific victory, this is the place to be.  Threatens Sydney and Honolulu at the same time.  Forces Anzac to turtle, especially if you’re convoying, which effectively takes that power out of the naval game.  Can be immediately reinforced from Japan.  Makes the Allies either defend hard/pull back or set up blockers, which is a total money sink.

SZ 35 -
    For a more passive/defensive strategy, this sea zone lets you keep a grip on the DEI while threatening the an American fleet at the Caroline Islands.  Very tough nut to crack.

SZ 36 -
    Transports from the south can zip right back up to Japan from here.  A great place to stage from before you hit the DEI.  Also threatens Calcutta, which forces them to pull back and turtle.

• 1. Which Turn do you prefer attack?
    Russia turn 1, as late as possible.

6 or more

Kiangsi, Korea, Shantung

Philippines - to base my fleet.
    Malaya - to keep the ANZAC seperated from India.
    Kansu and Tinguska - when i’m there the Chinese and Russians are really hurting.
    Hawaii - to threaten the US an little and maybe seperate them from ANZAC

Philippines - its so centrally located and has an airbase.
    Japan - its your last line of defense
    Hawaii if your on the offensive in that direction

Great Comments guys!  And excellent Report Commander Alsch!

I wonder what you would all think of adding “The Solomans” to the top 5 most important territories list?

It used to matter more in Previous alpha version than now, but…

• It can contribute to the impossible 5 island Japanese NO.  + 5
    • It instantly knocks out BOTH Anzac NO’s + 10, and unless they have transports, they can’t recapture it (Us must intervene)

There aren’t too many single territories on the board with a swing of 10 to 15 depending.

• 1. J3. Gives you time to prepare your transports to attack any territory you want them to. It also is the turn that America enters the war, so you’re really only allowing them to move out of their own territories, which is outweighed by the initiative you gain as Japan

2. I buy 2 on the first round, so I have 5, and then maybe 1 later on. I am always willing to sacrifice a transport for control of a DEI, as long as the allies lack any transports to get it back. So once I have the DEIs, I only have 2-3 transports in circulation.

3. Minor IC in Shanghai territory, build 3 mechs a turn for use in China and India. Naval Base In Hainan, because I can drop any troops from Japan off there, and then have the option to move them toward India, or load them back on the transports that brought them there and attack any number of important Islands.

4. In order of importance: Borneo, Philippines, Java, Solomon Islands, and Malay. Borneo, Java, and Malay because they earn you lots of money and reduce the Allied income. Solomon Islands, because it gets rid of both ANZAC NOs with one move, and its hard for them to get it back. Philippines, because it reduces American Income and contains an important naval and air base.

5. 36, if you have a naval base in Hainan, you can hit all the important mainland territories (Calcutta), all the DEIs, the Caroline Islands, Japan, and part of Australia. 35, if you control the Philippines, although you can’t India from there.

• I considered mentioning Solomon Islands, but after the NO change in Alpha 3, it’s not nearly as important as before.
    The current NO is impossible and so irrelevant.
    The Anzac NO can also be disrupted by taking New Britain, Dutch New Guinea, or New Guinea.  All three of those are harder to take back simply because they’re farther away from Hawaii.

In Alpha 2, which I still very much enjoy playing, I would put Solomon Islands on my list.  Very important, but difficult, spot to hold.

• @Alsch91:

I considered mentioning Solomon Islands, but after the NO change in Alpha 3, it’s not nearly as important as before.
    The current NO is impossible and so irrelevant.
    The Anzac NO can also be disrupted by taking New Britain, Dutch New Guinea, or New Guinea.  All three of those are harder to take back simply because they’re farther away from Hawaii.

In Alpha 2, which I still very much enjoy playing, I would put Solomon Islands on my list.  Very important, but difficult, spot to hold.

Well, Dutch New Guinea does not count as an originally controlled ANZAC territory, so that would only disrupt 1 NO. All of the outer territories are within range of Hawaii, so if the US wants to liberate an Island it will, but it will take some ground resources.

I am not sure if I understand what your saying, though. In alpha 3, ANZAC needs the Solomon Islands in order to have either NO. Obviously the NO for Japan is out of the question, but I still think that, or New Britain, is important for hindering ANZAC.

• 1. Japan should attack round 3 to keep USA income low and japan`s high as long as possible; also helpful to keep sea zones with UK/ANZAC ships nonhostile so you can slide past them if doing an India crush.

2. half a dozen transports

3. ICs go in Kiangsu, Shantung, Manchuria so you can pump out mechanized infantry as cannon fodder for air attacks to exterminate Communist China and then Stalingrad.  These can never be captured by the enemy; NEVER build one for the Americans in FIC or Korea.

4. #1 Yunnan.  Keep China poor and without artillery
    #2 Philippines.  Deny USA the NO
    #3 Shantung. If chinese start mobilizing there you will never retake it, its a VC and worth $3
    #4 Hongkong & Malaya tie for 4th; Borneo gets honourable mention.
    #5 (If allies are on to this) Dutch New Guinea is crucial because an allied naval base there allows fleets from India and a Johnston Island naval base to link up and then head for Iwojima.  Also the $5 ANZAC NO

5. Best is z6 + z33 to scares everyone into submission.  Second best is z36 next because it allows a faster move on India but the downside is everyone knows what you’re doing

• I was assuming that Japan takes Malaya, which disrupts the other Anzac NO.
    In Alpha 2, the 5/7 NO was very achievable, and could be fought for.  The Alpha 3 version can effectively be ignored.
    If you’ve got Malaya and any of those four island territories, you’ve stopped both Anzac NOs.

• @Alsch91:

I was assuming that Japan takes Malaya, which disrupts the other Anzac NO.
    In Alpha 2, the 5/7 NO was very achievable, and could be fought for. Â The Alpha 3 version can effectively be ignored.
    If you’ve got Malaya and any of those four island territories, you’ve stopped both Anzac NOs.

Agreed, but then again, if you have the Solomon Islands, you don’t need Malay.

• '17 '16 '15

I see people are placing ic’s on shantung

thought it had to be a two spot or better

when did that change?

• Uh… but Malaya is worth 3 IPCs and is right in front of your 36 fleet.  Why would you not take a valuable territory away from India?  Derp.  I could just say that if you have Malaya you don’t need Solomon.   :lol:

Barney -
    Shantung is worth 2 IPCs.

• @Alsch91:

Uh… but Malaya is worth 3 IPCs and is right in front of your 36 fleet.  Why would you not take a valuable territory away from India?  Derp.  I could just say that if you have Malaya you don’t need Solomon.   :lol:

Barney -
    Shantung is worth 2 IPCs.

Again, Malay only stops 1 ANZAC NO, so your choice, is “do I want 3 IPCs, while taking away 5 from ANZAC, or do I just want to take 10 IPCs from ANZAC?”

I prefer the latter, so I go with Solomon.

• Or you could take them both…

• @KillOFzee:

Again, Malay only stops 1 ANZAC NO, so your choice, is “do I want 3 IPCs, while taking away 5 from ANZAC, or do I just want to take 10 IPCs from ANZAC?”

I prefer the latter, so I go with Solomon.

it is more like
    solomo, I want to take away 10 from anzak
    malay I want to get 3, take away 5 from anzak, take away 3 from india, and if I don’t have forces to take hong kong i take away 8 from india

so the sum is at least 11, and can be 16 if you would rather wait with taking hongkong (maybe the chineese have moved forwards and you need the ground there)

• @barney:

I see people are placing ic’s on shantung

thought it had to be a two spot or better

when did that change?

Shantung is a 2 on my map.

Solomons is best taken when you are unable to take Malaya, or the FIRST turn you go to war against Anzac, and want to prevent thier NO’s by capturing JUST 1 territory.

I’m going to go with Alsch here, there are times it’s right - but it’s not as valuable as it used to be. Probably best in a j2 attack.

• almost any move has its time, except the moves you do before your opponent has done anything. That is why there is probably one and only one correct solution to G1, while R1 is somewhat dependent on G1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m