• I just completed my 3rd every global 1940 game.  I played Germany and the allies conceded after Moscow fell on turn 8.  However, i was shocked by the fight Russia was able to put up.  I sent all three countries at Russia.  Japan attacked turn 1 into Amur (Russian stack pulled back) and attacked through china towards Russia.  Germany and Italy followed with Barbarossa on turn 3.  I went heavy Mech/tank with Germany and used Italy to punch holes in the Russia line for my blitz.  After opening Rostov with Italy, Germany was in Stalingrad and Cauc on G5.  Despite the triple team, Russia had muscled their way into Finland and Norway (huge IPC shift!) and had a large stack in Bryansk.  If i didn’t have a lucky victory where 14 German tanks killed 20 Russian inf in Bryansk (with only 4 casualties) then Russia would have likely repulsed my 3 country invasion.

• wow, it took the rising sun, the third riech, and what ever Italy’s nickname is to defeat THE BEAR!

• @empireman:

what ever Italy’s nickname is

Mussolini liked to think of Fascist Italy as the new Roman Empire.

• 1. The Allies shouldn’t have conceded. If Italy still had Cairo and Germany still held Paris, the Axis wins straight up.

2. How did Russia do so well? Did they have good rolls? What was their strategy? What was the Axis’ plan?

• @techroll42:

1. The Allies shouldn’t have conceded. If Italy still had Cairo and Germany still held Paris, the Axis wins straight up.

2. How did Russia do so well? Did they have good rolls? What was their strategy? What was the Axis’ plan?

Russia is a BEAR when she plays opportunistically without exposing her Infantry stacks.

• Yes, the Russian player was very good.  It helped him that i used my German transport to snag Gibraltar on G2 and therefore had no way of reclaiming Finland and Norway when he captured it.  He was cranking out 40+ IPCs a turn because he had two pro Axis/German territories, even when i was deep inside Russia.

• Well there’s the problem!

You simply cannot let Russia hold those lands. Bild transports if need be. That $$ is why you had trouble.

• @techroll42:

Well there’s the problem!

You simply cannot let Russia hold those lands. Bild transports if need be. That $$ is why you had trouble.

Agreed. If Russia can pool enough men up north to take Finland, hit it in the South and take its valuable Southern Territories. Caucasus and Volgogorad alone are worth 14 IPCs in TT value and NOs. If you can rush to take these, and then fortify them, Germany will be sitting in some deep cash to use against Russia.

• @KillOFzee:

@techroll42:

Agreed. If Russia can pool enough men up north to take Finland, hit it in the South and take its valuable Southern Territories. Caucasus and Volgogorad alone are worth 14 IPCs in TT value and NOs. If you can rush to take these, and then fortify them, Germany will be sitting in some deep cash to use against Russia.

That is exactly what i did.  I was in Stalingrad on turn 5.

• @Pherman1215:

@KillOFzee:

@techroll42:

That is exactly what i did.  I was in Stalingrad on turn 5.

But you must still prevent Russia from getting extra IPCs. As the axis, it is better for Germany and Russia to have less money, than it is for both to have more.

• Here’s how important Finland/Norway are:

They add 5 IPC’s to Russia for the territory, plus 6 IPC’s NO.
    They subtract 5 IPC’s from Germany for the territory, plus 5 NO.

That is +11 for Russia, -10 for Germany–a 22 IPC swing. And a base for US/UK planes flying to Berlin/West Germany.

• Russia is a BIG bear! :mrgreen:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m