• With scrambling rules can UK still attack SZ 97 on UK1?  If Italy scrambles there planes i have it as a 57% win for Italy.  If Germany flies 1 fighter to scramble from Norther Italy, this move the chance to 92% victory of Italy.  What do people do with UK in the med now?

• Sponsor

I never make that attack myself, but I am very agressive in the Med with UK. I have a strategy I call “the linguini squeeze”, where I attack the Italian destroyer and transport with my aircraft carrier w/ tac bomber, and fighters from Malta and Gibraltar, everything else are non-combat moves.

Atlantic cruiser into Med to block Gibraltar in sea zone south of the French ships, along with cruiser from Egypt.

Destroyer from Egypt into 1 sea zone north to block Egypt, and the transport from Egypt will pickup 1 infantry, 1 AA gun from Malta and pass through the Suez to drop them into Egypt, the destroyer from south Africa will also join the transport.

The Allies have now forced Italy to use planes and ships to deal with them, the UK is also using the French ships in a defensive stance instead of sacrificing them with a UK retreat. I have used this strategy in 3 games now, and the Italians have never been able to land troops in Africa.

• Thanks, that was actually very helpful.  Have you ever considered hitting both Tobruk and SZ 95 on UK1?

• Pherman - are you factoring in the fighter and bomber from London? I believe you’d find the odds to be much more in your favor. The fighter from Gibraltar can also make it.

Grasshopper - I’ll be trying the linguini squeeze the next time I’m the Allies… nice move, and name!

• @Stalingrad:  My Alpha 2 chart doesn’t show a bomber starting in United Kingdom.  Is that part of the Alpha 3 set up?

• Sponsor

Here is my Linguini squeeze. This blue print needs ANZAC and American ships to protect Calcutta.

United Kingdom #1

Purchase new units

(London) = $28
    6 infantry
    1 fighter

(India) = $17
    4 infantry
    1 AA gun

Combat movements

Attack SZ#96 with
    1 aircraft carrier and 1 tactical bomber from SZ#98 (land in Egypt without casualty/on carrier with)
    1 fighter from Gibraltar (land on aircraft carrier/use as casualty if needed)
    1 fighter from Malta (land on aircraft carrier)

Attack subs in #106, #109, #111 or #110 (if possible) with
    1 destroyer from #109 or #106
    2 fighters from London (Gibraltar)
    1 fighter from Scotland (London)
    1 strategic bomber from London (London)

Non-combat movements

Move cruiser from 91 into 94

Move cruiser from 98 into 94

Move destroyer from 98 into 99

Move transport into 96, pick up 1 AA gun and 1 infantry, move into 81, drop units in Egypt.

Move destroyer from 71 to 81

Move cruiser and destroyer from 39 into 76

Move battleship from 37 into 78

Move 1 infantry and 1 mech infantry from Egypt and 1 tank from Alexandria to Anglo Egypt Sudan

Move 1 infantry and 1 artillery from Alexandria to Egypt

Move 2 infantry from south Africa to Rhodesia

Transport 2 infantry from India to Celebes

Fly fighter from India to Madagascar

Fly fighter from Burma to India

Move Canadian forces east

Transport Canadian infantry and tank to London (if possible)

Block Gibraltar with destroyer from 106 (if possible)

Transport 2 infantry to Gibraltar (if possible)

move 1 infantry from west India to eastern Persia

Move 1 infantry and 1 artillery from India to west India

Place new units

Place new units on respective Capitals

Collect income

London = $28 - convoy disruptions

Calcutta = $17 + $3 for Celebes Island = $20

• Toronto? is that the vichy french base in Italy:)

• Hey YG, should I post my Italian Linguini Squeeze breakout plot???

• @Grasshopper: Won’t Italy just scramble their planes and crush your SZ 96 attack?

• The UK already control Toronto, and it’s no where near a sea zone.

Ohhhhh, you meant Taranto.  Gotcha …  :wink:

• Sponsor

@Enigmatic_Decay:

Hey YG, should I post my Italian Linguini Squeeze breakout plot???

Sure, but If I remember correctly (and I think I do), you had some success in Europe with Italy, but your African campaign was a complete failure. So, I’m not quite sure you understand the definition of a “breakout”. However, I respect how you were able to collect good money without your NOs or African territories, as it really prevented me from dealing the knockout punch I was looking for. So I guess it would be benificial if you could explain how you distributed the European territories between Italy and Germany, but my blockade is 3 for 3, and still going (I’m not even sure how to stop myself).

• Sponsor

@Pherman1215:

@Grasshopper: Won’t Italy just scramble their planes and crush your SZ 96 attack?

Sea Zone #96 is the zone with Malta in it, only #95 and #97 have Axis scramble capabilities in the Med during round #1. I should also mention that the linguini squeeze blue print is for an Alpha+3 game (hence the Italian destroyer and transport in #96).

• Sponsor

@Pherman1215:

Thanks, that was actually very helpful.  Have you ever considered hitting both Tobruk and SZ 95 on UK1?

My Uk strategies against Italy are based on forcing them to come to me (both land and sea). I have attempted an amphibious assult on Tobruk, and it came out quite successful, but I don’t like to leave my precious transport vulnerable, so I stopped doing that.

• YG I would suggest that my counter with Italy was superb. You boxed me in for a few turns but I didn’t suffer any IPC loss or dent to my expansion. The trick is to not panic because you have limited movement in the Med. Don’t do something rash like try and counter all of the Brits navel presence or leave your fleet without air support (for the first 1-3 turns at least depending on U.K. moves). You almost have to concede the Med. for a few rounds before making your move. Instead, try and pick off the territories that you can without running around with your fleet, and attack one sea zone each turn  If I recall, the Med was completely empty of Italian and Allied ships, while I didn’t have any Italian presence in Africa (which I still think is overrated especially if there is no U.K. factory in Egypt) I was still tearing up Russia and had the Italians earning 20+ IPC’s a turn. BAMMMMMMM!

Of course if you had not gone with a total KJF U.S. strategy, My Italy patience might have backfired? but that’s another story for another day. Till then, I’ll have to settle for $14 two for one carriers!

Looking forward to another game in the new year YG,

Cheers,

Jay

• Couldn’t Italy and Germany counter your UK move? Have Italy hit Sea zone 95. Attack once and then retreat. Have Germany finish the remaining units off.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

Couldn’t Italy and Germany counter your UK move? Have Italy hit Sea zone 95. Attack once and then retreat. Have Germany finish the remaining units off.

There are no allied ships in #95 after my UK1.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

There are no cats in America…

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

There are no cats in America…

Steven Spielberg’s “once upon a time in America” great movie!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m