A&A Bad Beats Thread - post 'em here

• Maybe this can gain some traction… post your A&A bad beats here!

• What’s that?  Like hard luck stories?
    If so, only Global 1940, or any version?

• Sponsor

Back in the days of classic, I will never forget the time Japan (my buddy) and the US (me) squared off in a huge sea battle, and in the first round of combat I rolled 6 ones for my 6 transports. Well he throw his dice and flipped the board (true story), I bet my old buddy really appreciates the new transport rules in global 1940 (where ever he is these days).

• Transports have been defenseless since 2008, with AA50, then Spring 1942, then Global 1940, btw

Great story, Grasshopper!  Almost have to stop and think about how transports used to be the first casualty to come off, and each fired at a 1.  Was always sweet to take out a fighter plane that way!  (or horrible to lose one)

• was attacking Germany in a tournament. My battle calculator said it was a 100% chance for me to win. I think I had 70 pieces attacking he had 50 defending I lost all 70 of my pieces he lost 20 of his. First round roll I got 7 hits he got 40 lol. One hell of an experience.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Myself as Russia, 19 infantry 3 artillery 3 tanks and 2 fighters against German 13 infantry 7 artillery and 4 tanks, i got 4 hits, he got 15, needless to say i could never recover after that……

• Too many to list  just the last 3 weeks Germany has failed to take France out on the !st round.  Sea lion was a success but it is usually means that Germany has to difficult time to overcome all the obstacles  Different players as Germany each time
      Those darn dice!

• How many units are you sending at france? I am sending every ground unit that can reach minus 2 inf and 1 mech. I also send 1 tac to france. Something like 99% chance to win… If you aren’t taking france maybe you guys are not sending enough.

• My typical France strat looks like this 
      1 Inf & 2 Arm from Holland
      3 Inf  1 Art 4 Mech & 1 Tact from W. Germ
      2Arm from S. Germ
    I used to take all of France on R1 and I had a close call so I send more at Paris now than I used to.
      The first time France didnt fall on R1 was back in game 5 or so and then it didnt happen for 12- 15 games and then I had that close call and decided that I should send more at Paris and that was 5 games ago we’ve been playing every weekend since late Feb.  At that point the Axis had been on a win steak of 5+ games.  Two games went by and the Allies won those then the last 3 weeks the dice were not nice to the Axis at the key battle at Paris
      What was nice was that last game even though Paris lived to R2 I was able to eliminate the DD & Trans at 109 and the Cru at 91and the BB & DD at 111 and the BB &Cru at 110 and the 2 Cru at 112.
      In all our games I would say that were at a 50/50 win loose rate.
      During the last Axis win streak the same person randomly pulled Japan 4 of the 5 times his brother pulled Germany 3 times and Japan 1, I was Germany 2 times
      Thats it with dice I’ve taken France Norm/Bord & S. France and only suffered 2 hits against me from Paris and minimal hits in S. France & Norm/Bord  its all about the dice

• Are you playing Alpha 2? You seem really short on the units you are attacking france with. My oppening is every ground minus 2 inf and a mech that goes to normandy, but this is alpha 3.5 that I am speaking of. Something like 6 tanks 3 mechs 3 artilery and 5 infantry and 1 tac bomber to france.

• ALPHA+2
    I could lighten up what I hit Norm/Bord with but after not taking it once I hit it with  3 Inf, 2 Art & 1 Arm

• Where are you sending your planes? I don’t see how you can take out both UK BB’s on T1 and the french navy. i would scramble on you for sure with UK and kill a ton of your planes. I use Italy to take out the french navy. 1 sub and 1-2 fighters (depending on if you scrambled on first rurn) and 1 tac bomber.

• Customizer

@Young:

Back in the days of classic, I will never forget the time Japan (my buddy) and the US (me) squared off in a huge sea battle, and in the first round of combat I rolled 6 ones for my 6 transports. Well he throw his dice and flipped the board (true story), I bet my old buddy really appreciates the new transport rules in global 1940 (where ever he is these days).

I remember on a few occasions with Classic sending a battleship out to kill a transport and the dang transport gets a “1” and kills the battleship!

@suprise:

Too many to list  just the last 3 weeks Germany has failed to take France out on the !st round.  Sea lion was a success but it is usually means that Germany has to difficult time to overcome all the obstacles  Different players as Germany each time
      Those darn dice!

In one game I played a few months back, I think it was Alpha+2, both Germany and Italy failed to take France round 1.  Then UK sent some stuff in to back up the units France was able to purchase and believe it or not, Germany failed a second time.  This time Italy managed to finish off France though.  Very weird.  Axis lost that game by the way.

• @knp7765:

Germany failed a second time.  This time Italy managed to finish off France though.  Very weird.  Axis lost that game by the way.

I would be stunned if they hadn’t!

• I try to do my sub warfare different each time it comes down to about 3 strst.s  One is to send 1 sub everywhere except Sz 109. This last game I sent 1 to Sz91 and sunk the Cru  1 at Sz106 I got lucky there to and I sent 2 into 111 and 110 I was lucky on all my Naval battles I also send a Fighter, Tact. & Strat. Bombers on 111 and 2Fighters and 2 Tact. from W. Germany on 110. Sometimes I’ll send the Fighter from Hungary into 112 or into France or help with Yugo and then to S. Italy.  I also use the Tact. from Poland into 112 or to France or to help with the 110 or 111 battles
      I was lucky with my Naval battles It was just the French battle that made me say wow it cant get any worse than that  well it did twice France held out
      Wow knp7765 that sounds like a disaster. In the games I stated Italy was able to take France …. Didnt know what to do with the money … never had to deal with it before
      About two months ago I was Russia and Germany came after me with all their air force they had left on R2 ( I think they lost 1 or 2 planes going for the Royal Navy and France )  and I found the ONE dice and hit 5  Fighters 2  Tact.s and 1 Strat. that was awesome for me and devastating for Germany
      We played a second game . Revised 1942 I think ( one of the small boards ) and its something else to see a Trasnp sink a BB or Bomber sub anything,  thats what makes this game great

• One time, I was UK and India was destined to fall next turn. It only had 3 Infantry, and the 2 I would be placing there at the end of the turn.
    Burma had 3 Japanese tanks. (retreated from an attack last round) Behind that in yunnan there were 2 Jap tanks and 2 mechs
    Also, 2 transports were due to pick up 4 Infantry from malaya and Java to assist the attack.

I opted to attack the three tanks with the three infantry because at least then I could kill a tank that otherwise wouldnt die (infantry would have died first obviously)
    The 3 infantry rolled 3 1’s and the tanks didnt hit I took burma and collected 6 IPCs, and saved India for another round.
    The Japanese then attacked burma with what was going to attack India, (using only 1 of the 2 transports and hence 2 Infantry) and only got one hit, while the Brits got 3 hits.
    Japan retreated
    And on the UK turn I retreated the Burma guys back, and bought 2 more guys, bringing the stack up to 6 infantry. Japan then recaptured Burma, And I built two more guys
    By then the board had totaly changed, the US was surgeing, Germany was on the defensive, and India held

Goes to show that sometimes attacks can, and will, go against the odds.

• Everyone reading that is glad he wasn’t the Axis player in that game!

• Yea, it really threw a wrench in a game that the axis was favored to win
    Japanese air power also took a significant hit in combat with some americans during those shenanigans.

• @knp7765:

In one game I played a few months back, I think it was Alpha+2, both Germany and Italy failed to take France round 1.  Then UK sent some stuff in to back up the units France was able to purchase and believe it or not, Germany failed a second time.  This time Italy managed to finish off France though.  Very weird.  Axis lost that game by the way.

I’ve seen this happen. Makes for an exciting couple French turns.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m