• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Anyone familiar?

In fact… is anyone familiar AT ALL as to why the Germans invaded Poland?  It seems a forgotten secret…

• '10

@Gargantua:

Anyone familiar?

In fact… is anyone familiar AT ALL as to why the Germans invaded Poland?  It seems a forgotten secret…

Danzig! Also wanted a jumping off point for Barbarossa! With no Polish army in the way they could just shoot right into Russia. Russia took east Poland and then stalin decided to move all his troops from prepared defensive positions in the interior right up to the frontiers. Dumb move!

• Hitler wanted the land that was taken by Poland connecting Prussia to Germany. Of course taking all of Poland was a good staging area for a future trip to Moscow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQvN2Kp21oA&feature=player_embedded#!

Sorry I should have said BROMBERG massacre.

Interesting…  How many polish generals were put on trial at nuremburg?  Does anyone know?

• '16 '15 '10

How can this incident have caused the war when it occurred 2 days after the Germans invaded?

Gargantua here’s a new avatar for ya  :evil:

troll_1.jpg

• I have not yet studied the Bromberg Massacre. But I would like to contribute the following quote to the discussion. The quote is from John Toland’s book Adolf Hitler, which has been endorsed by the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and other major media outlets.

[A.I.] Berndt [a German government official] thought the reported number of German nationals killed by Poles too small and simply added a nought. At first Hitler refused to believe such a figure but, when Berndt replied that it may have been somewhat exaggerated but something monstrous must have happened to give rise to such stories, Hitler shouted “They’ll pay for this! Now no one will stop me from teaching these fellows a lesson they’ll never forget! I will not have my Germans butchered like cattle!” At this point the Fuhrer went to the phone and, in Berndt’s presence, ordered Keitel to issue “Directive No. 1 for the Conduct of the War.”

Adolf Hitler, pp 566 - 567

The above quote creates the impression that one of Hitler’s motives for invading Poland may have been to prevent additional killings of German nationals. In answer to the obvious question, “Why on Earth would the Polish want to do that?,” one needs to look at the false promises and lies the French government had told the Polish government. French politicians had promised Poland that, if Germany invaded, France would launch a general offensive against Germany, and would do so within fifteen days of mobilization. Obviously that never happened, and France’s leaders never had the slightest intention of making it happen.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@KurtGodel7:

The above quote creates the impression that one of Hitler’s motives for invading Poland may have been to prevent additional killings of German nationals.

Additional to what? As Zhukov pointed out, the Bromberg incident occurred on September 3, 1939 and could therefore obviously not have been a motive for the invasion of Poland which had started two days before.

@KurtGodel7:

In answer to the obvious question, “Why on Earth would the Polish want to do that?,” one needs to look at the false promises and lies the French government had told the Polish government.

While I agree that the French handled most of World War II rather poorly, it seems pretty obvious to me that the Polish would be angry at a nation that had just invaded their country. Also, while historians disagree on what precisely happened at Bromberg, it was not a purposeful slaughter of innocent ethnic Germans by any account.

Well I’ll tell you how.

From what I can tell, and have read, the “Danzig” crisis, was in a large part fueled by the attrocities and treatment of the ethnic germans in the region PRIOR to the invasion.

The reality is that the same sentiment that got those people killed 2 days and less after the invasion, was there, amongst the community before hand.  And that there were other killings, and kidnappings going as far back as April 1939.

PERHAPS, if the Germans had invaded 4 days before, maybe those people wouldn’t be dead?  This is also a disputed fact.

Unbelievably there isn’t much information on the subject of the massacres?  including information on WHY the Germans invaded in the first place?  Mostly what I can find - is coloquial generalizations based on what people heard in their grade 10 history class…  No facts? No quotes? No Journals? No Documents? No Clarity… :S

I mean, the poles knew for some time the war was coming, why?  What was really going on there?  What ‘was’ the crisis?  Because it surely wasn’t Lebenstraum… (not an emergency)

So were there attrocities? what were they? And did the Germans go their to protect thier own people? OR is this all part of another theory?  That they were all false flag attacks?  It would be nice to know the truth is all!

it was not a purposeful slaughter of innocent ethnic Germans by any account

People getting shot in a crossfire is not “purposeful”

And no offense - but… going house to house and executing their patrons, is the DELIBERATE slaughter of people.

Tell me if I’m wrong here bro?

• @Herr:

Additional to what? As Zhukov pointed out, the Bromberg incident occurred on September 3, 1939 and could therefore obviously not have been a motive for the invasion of Poland which had started two days before. . . .

While I agree that the French handled most of World War II rather poorly, it seems pretty obvious to me that the Polish would be angry at a nation that had just invaded their country. Also, while historians disagree on what precisely happened at Bromberg, it was not a purposeful slaughter of innocent ethnic Germans by any account.

There are two separate incidents here:

1. The Bromberg Massacre, which as you correctly noted occurred shortly after the German invasion had begun.

2. The killings of German nationals to which the Toland quote refers, which took place before Germany had invaded Poland. If you go back and reread the Toland quote, you will see that Hitler ordered the invasion in response to the report he’d received from Berndt.

If the killings of German nationals had begun before the invasion, it’s at least possible that the Bromberg massacre represents the continuation of that pattern after the invasion had started. But I would like to find out more about the nature and motives of the prewar killings and the Bromberg massacre before committing myself to that view.

The conflict between Germany and Poland, which was supported by Britain and France, over the Danzig territory preceded the outbreak of World War II. Beginning in October 1938, Hitler demanded that the Danzig (of Gdansk) region of Poland be ceded to Germany. This port area had been under Polish administration since the Potsdam agreement. Poland refused to cede Danzig, and in March of 1939, negotiations began between Germany and Poland. On March 30, 1939, both France and Great Britain pledged to defend Poland in the event of a German attack. By April, German troop concentrations on the Polish border began. During the summer months, Hitler made several statements about increasing German intolerance for Polish “atrocities” to German citizens in Danzig. On August 26, 1939, Germany attacked Danzig. On September 1st, Germany attacked Poland itself, and on September 3rd, Great Britain and France declared war on Germany, beginning the Second World War.

As it turns out - and I didn’t know,  Danzig was it’s own CITY/STATE…  Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_City_of_Danzig

That explains ALOT of things…  Yet another condition, of the treaty of versailles!  Definetely a cool read.

• Herr KaLeun correctly pointed out that France handled most of WWII poorly. I’d like to expand on that point.

During the mid-'30s, leaders from France and other democracies had attempted to form an alliance with the Soviet Union. The hope was that the democracies and the Soviets would gang up on and invade Nazi Germany. This invasion was expected to be successful, and a number of Eastern European governments adopted pro-Soviet diplomatic stances to be on what was expected to be the winning side.

Democratic leaders showed no hesitation in allying themselves with a Soviet government which had committed tens of millions of murders. (Such as the deliberate starvation of millions Ukrainians in the early '30s.) Apparently there was no objection to placing much of Germany under the rule of the same men responsible for those acts of genocide.

The diplomatic policy of France and other democracies failed to result in the hoped-for Franco-Soviet invasion of Germany. Stalin saw both the democracies and the Nazis as enemies. He wanted a long, bloody war to occur between the two sides–a war which would sap Europe of its will and ability to resist a subsequent Soviet invasion. He therefore adopted a policy of Soviet neutrality towards Germany, while simultaneously encouraging very strong “anti-fascism” among far left groups in Europe. The hope was that this anti-fascism would help lead to war between the democracies and Germany. (It did.)

While France did not succeed in dividing Germany between itself and the Soviet Union, it was successful in getting a defensive alliance with the Soviets (in 1935). The Soviets formed a defensive alliance with Czechoslovakia that same year.

One of Germany’s motives for annexing Czechoslovakia in 1938 was to send a message to other Eastern European governments about the wisdom of joining the Franco-Soviet alliance. The plan worked: by late 1940, the diplomatic situation in Eastern Europe had become much more favorable to Germany than it had been just a few years earlier. Another reason for the annexation was that German military planners feared the possibility of Czechoslovakia being used as a jumping off point for a Soviet invasion. (As could have been the case had diplomatic relations between the Soviets and Czechs grown even closer, and had Stalin decided the time had come for his move westward into Europe.)

For a time, the French government was run by the Popular Front political coalition. The Popular Front’s three political parties were the French Communist Party, the French Section of the Workers’ International, and the Radical Party. Daladier was a member of the Radical Party, and his anti-fascist/pro-war credentials were strong enough that he was selected to serve as Minister of War. Several years later he became prime minister of France.

Daladier believed war with Germany was necessary, and felt France was too weak to win the war on its own. He wanted a strong ally–either the Soviet Union or Britain–at France’s side before going to war. His government’s lies to Poland in 1939 were a subset of his larger anti-German, pro-war foreign policy. Exactly what Daladier hoped to achieve from this foreign policy was not clear. Had his hopes and dreams come to pass, and had the German Army been crushed by some combination of France, the Soviet Union, and Britain, the Red Army would have been several times stronger than the postwar French Army. The United States government was solidly pro-communist under FDR, and did not become anti-communist until 1948. Daladier had no reason to anticipate these changes in American politics. He had no reason to believe that the Soviet Union would not swallow France after it was done digesting Germany.

Before 1948, Germany represented the only real barrier to Soviet expansion into the heart of Europe. France’s leaders did not recognize this in 1919, when they allowed Germany only a token military under the Versailles Treaty. They did not recognize this in the '30s, when they adopted a foreign policy designed to destroy the German state, with no real subsequent plan to prevent Soviet domination of all of Europe. France was saved from communist occupation not by its own politicians, but by political changes in the U.S. In addition, Germany’s war against the Soviet Union severely weakened the Red Army, making it easier for the Western democracies to resist a would-be Soviet invasion.

**“Poland wants war with Germany and Germany will not be able to avoid it even if she wants to.” (Polish Marshal Rydz-Smigly as reported in the Daily Mail, August 6th, 1939)[/[/b]quote]

The plot THICKENS!**

I have also read somewhere, that the Germans had made repeated complaints to the league of nations about the persecution and attrocities. BUT I haven’t been able to find any documentation…

@Gargantua:

it was not a purposeful slaughter of innocent ethnic Germans by any account

People getting shot in a crossfire is not “purposeful”

And no offense - but… going house to house and executing their patrons, is the DELIBERATE slaughter of people.

Tell me if I’m wrong here bro?

You would be right if that would indeed have happened. But the thing is, that there’s not a whole lot of agreement about the actual events. I’ll quote a little bit from the Wikipedia article that I linked to earlier:

The Wehrmacht War Crimes Bureau investigation in 1939–1940 concluded that the events were a result of panic and confusion among the Polish troops.[14] The Wehrmacht investigation included the interrogation of captive Polish soldiers, ethnic Germans from Bydgoszcz and surrounding villages, and Polish civilians. The bodies of the victims were exhumed and the cause of death and the possible involvement of military rifles was assessed.[15] According to this investigation, a squad of Polish soldiers was sent in to clarify the situation after hearing shots being fired within the city.[citation needed] Uniformed Polish soldiers, assisted by the local Polish population, were led to houses from which shots were allegedly heard.[citation needed] In households where weapons were found, people were subject to summary executions.

Now that is a contemporary account by the Germans, so not one that would likely depict whatever the Poles did a favorable light. And even they acknowledge that “panic and confusion among the Polish troops” was a major factor, and that the action was apparently a response to shots being fired. Granted, the Bromberg killings were possibly in part an unwarranted retribution against civilians, but whatever happened, was definitely very different from any of the deliberate or pre-planned massacres that occurred later in the war in towns such as Lidice and Oradour.

@KurtGodel7:

@Herr:

Additional to what? As Zhukov pointed out, the Bromberg incident occurred on September 3, 1939 and could therefore obviously not have been a motive for the invasion of Poland which had started two days before. . . .

There are two separate incidents here:

1. The Bromberg Massacre, which as you correctly noted occurred shortly after the German invasion had begun.

2. The killings of German nationals to which the Toland quote refers, which took place before Germany had invaded Poland. If you go back and reread the Toland quote, you will see that Hitler ordered the invasion in response to the report he’d received from Berndt.

If the killings of German nationals had begun before the invasion, it’s at least possible that the Bromberg massacre represents the continuation of that pattern after the invasion had started. But I would like to find out more about the nature and motives of the prewar killings and the Bromberg massacre before committing myself to that view.

I stand corrected in misreading your post. I automatically assumed that the quote you provided would refer to the incident being discussed.
    I don’t have a copy of the Toland book. Do you have more information on the incident to which he refers there and on which Berndt reported?

As far as France is concerned - if they would have responded in force to the remilitarization of the Rhineland, World War II might have never happened. With hindsight - but then again, it’s always easy to write about what everyone should have done - not sending their military into the Rhineland at that moment to enforce the Locarno treaties, was their biggest mistake. After that, it became more and more obvious that Hitler could get away with a lot.

A Franco-Soviet plot to take out Germany? I don’t see it. There was a treaty, yes, but Europe was a quagmire of treaties at the time. Some of them held for a while, others weren’t worth the paper they were written on. If France wanted to after Germany, it could very well have done so by keeping its promise to Poland, and making the phoney war a real one. Second big French mistake.

Did the Soviet Union plan to conquer Europe? Doing so would have been consistent with early communist doctrine, but the whole idea was abandoned at some point in time, when their dream of forcefully “liberating” the world’s oppressed workers (who typically didn’t want to be liberated in the first place) gave way to more traditional considerations of power and safety. If Stalin ever intended to rule the continent, he could have gone for it in 1945, when the Soviet armies massively outnumbered the western Allies.

Finally:
    @KurtGodel7:

Democratic leaders showed no hesitation in allying themselves with a Soviet government which had committed tens of millions of murders. (Such as the deliberate starvation of millions Ukrainians in the early '30s.) Apparently there was no objection to placing much of Germany under the rule of the same men responsible for those acts of genocide.

Nothing ever changes. Saddam and Gaddafi were allies of the West as long as they were useful. People with high moral standards rarely lead nations, be they democratic or not.

• @Herr:

I stand corrected in misreading your post. I automatically assumed that the quote you provided would refer to the incident being discussed.
    I don’t have a copy of the Toland book. Do you have more information on the incident to which he refers there and on which Berndt reported?

I can’t blame you for having assumed that the quote I’d provided would refer to the incident being discussed. The fault for the communication error is mine.

If you want, you can find out more about John Toland’s book Adolf Hitler. Unfortunately, Toland did not explore the subject of the government report which Berndt had passed onto Hitler. I have not seen the subject discussed at all in the other mainstream history books or other mainstream historical accounts I’ve read. I have read several historical articles written from a pro-Axis perspective. According to them, a significant number of German nationals had been killed in Polish-occupied German territory. But most historians writing from the mainstream/Allied perspective have found it convenient to ignore this subject entirely.

However, another quote from Toland is relevant to the subject of the Polish foreign policy of 1939.

Lipski never asked to see Hitler’s sixteen-point proposal . . . He was following his orders “not to enter into any concrete negotiations.” The Poles were apparently so confident they could whip the Germans (with help from their allies) that they were not interested in discussing Hitler’s offer.

John Toland, Adolf Hitler, p. 567. Clearly, the Polish government believed that the French government would follow through on its promise to launch a general offensive against Germany. (Which, obviously, it did not do, and never had any intention of doing.) France’s politicians successfully manipulated Poland’s politicians into taking a pro-war stance.

Had things gone according to the French politicians’ plan, the following sequence of events would have occurred. 1) Germany conquers Poland while the French Army remains behind the Maginot Line. 2) Germany invades France. France stops the invasion, much as it had in 1914. 3) Germany and France enter into a long, grinding, defensive war, much like WWI. Over the long run, the combined industrial capacity of the British and French empires would give France and Britain the upper hand. This production advantage would be augmented by weapons purchases from the United States.

On paper, the above-described plan was reasonably sound. The Allied force in France in the spring of 1940 was roughly the size of its German counterpart, in terms of both men and tanks. Most of Germany’s tanks were obsolete light tanks; whereas France had the twin advantages of many heavy tanks and its powerful defensive fortifications. Germany had more airpower, but it was felt that in time the Allied advantage in industrial capacity would eliminate that advantage.

What confuses me about France’s strategy is the intended endgame. Suppose that after several years of bloody fighting, France and Britain began displaying the ability to slowly and consistently push the German military back. (Much like had been the case in the second half of 1918.) Presumably, Stalin would have chosen that moment to enter the war on the Allied side. The democracies had been courting Stalin in the mid-'30s, and again in '39. Whether they would have welcomed his involvement at this stage in the war is not clear. But there is very little they could have done to prevent him from becoming involved, as he almost certainly would have.

The entry of the Soviet Union into the war would have spelled military disaster for Germany. The Red Army would have advanced westward through Poland and eastern Germany, and would keep advancing until Germany had surrendered. The French plan therefore implied hostile foreign occupation of Poland both over the short- and long-term. It also entailed near-total Soviet domination of postwar Europe.

Postwar Europe ultimately turned out to be very much like the outcome one would have expected, had everything gone according to the French politicians’ plan. However, Germany proved much stronger than expected, which meant that Europe reached that French political vision in a very roundabout way.

• @Herr:

As far as France is concerned - if they would have responded in force to the remilitarization of the Rhineland, World War II might have never happened. With hindsight - but then again, it’s always easy to write about what everyone should have done - not sending their military into the Rhineland at that moment to enforce the Locarno treaties, was their biggest mistake. After that, it became more and more obvious that Hitler could get away with a lot.

A Franco-Soviet plot to take out Germany? I don’t see it. There was a treaty, yes, but Europe was a quagmire of treaties at the time. Some of them held for a while, others weren’t worth the paper they were written on. If France wanted to after Germany, it could very well have done so by keeping its promise to Poland, and making the phoney war a real one. Second big French mistake.

Did the Soviet Union plan to conquer Europe? Doing so would have been consistent with early communist doctrine, but the whole idea was abandoned at some point in time, when their dream of forcefully “liberating” the world’s oppressed workers (who typically didn’t want to be liberated in the first place) gave way to more traditional considerations of power and safety. If Stalin ever intended to rule the continent, he could have gone for it in 1945, when the Soviet armies massively outnumbered the western Allies. . . .

Nothing ever changes. Saddam and Gaddafi were allies of the West as long as they were useful. People with high moral standards rarely lead nations, be they democratic or not.

Thanks for the time and effort you’ve put into your posts. This discussion is turning into something interesting!

You wrote that France’s non-opposition to Germany’s reoccupation of the Rhineland was a mistake. I would be willing to accept a modified version of that. I would argue that given France’s decision to pursue a pro-Soviet, anti-German foreign policy, with an end goal of the elimination of Germany’s military power, France’s decision to allow Germany to reoccupy the Rhineland was a mistake. I would also argue that the larger strategic goals France had selected were unnecessary and unjustifiable. There was no reason for France to become involved in the cold war between the Soviet Union and Germany, or to take the Soviet side.

You correctly asserted that France had an excellent opportunity to invade Germany in 1939–an opportunity which it failed to take advantage of. I think that failure stems from French military planners’ belief that offense is far more costly than defense; a belief forged in the trenches of WWI. France’s entire military strategy was based on the concept of fighting a defensive, WWI-style war very well; and it had equipped itself to do exactly that. Once a person–or in this case, a military institution–become set in a certain way of thinking, and has developed a holistic strategy based on that mode of thinking, it can sometimes be difficult to shift gears on short notice.

As you pointed out, the Red Army’s European force, in May of '45, was several times larger than its Anglo-American counterpart. In the past, I had thought that this meant the Soviets could easily have pushed the Western democracies into the sea, had they chosen to do so. But then, I learned that General Patton had wanted to attack the Soviets almost immediately after the German surrender. I have enormous respect for General Patton’s military judgment, so hearing of his opinion caused me to rethink my earlier view.

Toward the end of the war in Europe, discipline in the Soviet army began to break down. Soldiers devoted an increasing amount of attention to raping, stealing, murdering, and vandalizing. Germany had been a much wealthier nation than the U.S.S.R., and one of the foundations of communist propaganda is to foster and encourage the resentment and hatred wealth disparity can bring. The German military had attempted to foster and encourage this breakdown in discipline by leaving large quantities of liquor for Soviet soldiers to find. The (female) author of A Woman in Berlin described this as, “something that only men would cook up for other men.” Adding to these problems was the fact that the Soviets’ supply lines had become overstretched by their rapid advance. That did not necessarily cause hunger among Soviet soldiers–they took what they needed from the starving German population–but it did imply severe short-term difficulties in their ability to provide their front-line forces with the ammunition required to deal with an Anglo-American attack.

Another factor which would have worked in the democracies’ favor was air power. In 1944, the United States produced over twice as many military aircraft as did the Soviet Union. British and American planes could have attained air superiority or outright air supremacy. Large numbers of P-47 Thunderbolts could have proved devastating against Soviet ground targets.

Dramatic changes occurred over the next several years. The Soviets solved their supply problems. The massive numbers of WWII-era piston-driven craft on both sides had become obsolete. Even early jets–such as the Americans’ Shooting Star–were obsolete by the Korean War. The U.S.'s only worthwhile air superiority plane in that war was the F-86 Saber. The Saber was a better plane than the MiG, albeit not nearly as much better as the U.S.'s inflated exchange claims would seem to suggest. Also, the MiGs used in the Korean War were flown by badly trained Chinese pilots, instead of their well-trained Soviet counterparts. The Soviets had ten times as many MiGs as the Americans had F-86 Sabers. America would have been much less likely to achieve air superiority in an early '50s WWIII than a WWIII which occurred in 1945.

WWII had given the Soviet Union considerable institutional expertise in . . . motivating soldiers who were less than fully willing to fight. Typically, Soviet officers were given the responsibility of shooting any soldier who ran away in combat. The Soviet method resulted in very large numbers of soldiers–albeit soldiers who were only 33% as combat-effective as their German counterparts.

The postwar era had given the Soviet Union the opportunity to apply its recruiting methods to Poland, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, and the other territory it occupied. Soldiers from Warsaw Pact nations swelled the communist forces’ ranks, and helped make good the losses the Red Army had sustained in its war against Germany.

The Western democracies lacked a similar source of manpower. France was considered a highly unreliable ally in any war against communism, which meant the main U.S. European ally would have been Germany. However, most of the German POWs who had fallen into Anglo-American hands had been sent to the Soviet Union after WWII had ended.

During the postwar years, America’s level of military preparedness declined, while the Soviet Union continued to prepare for war. By the late '40s or early '50s, the Truman administration had realized that it could not resist a Soviet invasion of Western Europe by conventional means. Had the Soviets invaded, the Truman administration’s military plans would have called for a fighting withdrawal from Germany, in combination with the use of nuclear weapons against the invading Soviet forces. Germany (the U.S.'s main ally in such a confrontation) was less than thrilled with this plan, because American nuclear weapons would have caused millions of German civilian deaths as collateral damage. The U.S. did not yet have ICBMs, which meant it had to rely on air superiority to be able to deliver nuclear payloads. America’s ability to attain the required air superiority was precarious and doubtful.

It has been said that Stalin allowed the Korean War to go forward as a test of American military readiness. This was a test the U.S. failed, which meant Stalin felt comfortable with his plans to go forward with the invasion of Western Europe and WWIII.

Stalin was a paranoid man, and was deeply disturbed by what he believed was Jewish influence over, or even Jewish control over, the United States. He was also very concerned about the alliance between the U.S. and Israel, and feared that Soviet Zionist Jews might betray the Soviet Union in order to help Israel and its American ally. Moreover, “Stalin’s secretary Boris Bazhanov stated that Stalin made crude anti-Semitic outbursts even before Vladimir Lenin’s death.[2][4]” Also,

In a December 1, 1952, Politburo session, Stalin announced:
    “Every Jewish nationalist is the agent of the American intelligence service. Jewish nationalists think that their nation was saved by the USA (there you can become rich, bourgeois, etc.). They think they’re indebted to the Americans.”

According to one source, Nikolay Nikolevitch Poliakov, Stalin purportedly created a special “Deportation Commission” to plan the deportation of Jews to these camps.[29][30][31] Poliakov, the purported secretary of the Commission, stated years later that, according to Stalin’s initial plan, the deportation was to begin in the middle of February 1953, but the monumental tasks of completing lists of Jews had not yet been completed.[29][31] “Pure blooded” Jews were to be deported first, followed by “half breeds” (polukrovki).[29] . . .

Four large camps were built shortly before Stalin’s death in 1953 in southern and western Russia, with rumors swirling that they were purportedly for Jews, but no directive exists that the camps were to be used for any such effort.[36]

Stalin died in 1953. Whatever plans he may or may not have had for exterminating the Jews, or launching WWIII, remained unfinished. Stalin’s replacements proved to be more cautious men, and did not move forward with either of the two main prongs of Stalin’s apparent plans.

Nevertheless, the Soviet government in general, and Stalin’s regime in particular, left behind a ghastly legacy. If the victims of Soviet mass murder were lined up from head to foot, the resulting line would make two complete circles around the Equator. As you pointed out, morality among political leaders, whether democratically elected or otherwise, is the exception, not the norm. Nevertheless, there are times when a difference of degree is large enough to create a difference in kind. A pro-Soviet foreign policy, and long-term pro-Soviet political and diplomatic goals, represents an indescribably greater moral lapse than an alliance of convenience with a standard-issue military dictatorship.

• “Poland wants war with Germany and Germany will not be able to avoid it even if she wants to.” (Polish Marshal Rydz-Smigly as reported in the Daily Mail, August 6th, 1939)

A much used quote but a complete fabrication.
    There is no such quote. It is completely made up.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m