• Its been around 10 years since I played and that was the classic game. I just picked up aae1940 today, and I don’t remember a&a being this difficult.  I guess I’m more overwhelmed by the rules of movement as far as what moves are illegal. I also don’t remember amphibious assaults being in the game so this is new to me as well. Any help/advice is appreciated, trying to teach the wife to play as well. I did realize theres no money and the industrial buildings are cardboard. Enough of my rambling.

• I think I figured out what I was confused on as far as moves. From.what I gathered in the manual, you can’t move into a territory occupied by an enemy (except for subs and planes) but if they’re your ally you can occupy it at the same time.  If I’m right then all I need explained is how to do amphibious attacks and how the battle strip works.

• @cz75:

I think I figured out what I was confused on as far as moves. From.what I gathered in the manual, you can’t move into a territory occupied by an enemy (except for subs and planes) but if they’re your ally you can occupy it at the same time.  If I’m right then all I need explained is how to do amphibious attacks and how the battle strip works.

Amphibious attacks are pretty simple, which part exactly is unclear?

You bring loaded transporters to the seazone of the land you want to attack, first fight enemy fleet is there is any. After that you unload your troops and a land battle will take place (without the option to retreat for all landed units).
    When there is no enemy fleet, you can give coastal bombardment with cruisers and battleships (up until the amount of ground units you unloaded)

The battle strip is just an aid to give a clear overview of your battle

Edit: of course you need to load the transporters with units somewhere first, in the same round, or a previous round.

Don’t know how much detail you need, but feel free to ask

• That explains the amphibious assault, I guess as far as the battle strip goes, I know you put the units on there corresponding with the silohuette, but does the number on the board indicate what has to be rolled in order to destroy the units that correspond with the number?

• The number on the board (and the numbers found in unit value lists and such) represent what that unit hits on.  If you roll its number or lower, you score a hit that the enemy will have to apply to its troops after that combat round. So an infantry hits on a 1 when attacking, or a 2 or 1 when paired with an artillery, or a 2 or 1 when defending.

• Justvto make sure I’m understanding the combat part, letscsay 2 infantry are attacking 2 infantry, does each side use 2 dice (1 for each unit)? And does the attacker have to roll a 2 or better in order for a defense point to be taken off an infantry unit where as the defender only has to roll a 1 or better to take a defense point off the attacking infantry?

• @cz75:

Justvto make sure I’m understanding the combat part, letscsay 2 infantry are attacking 2 infantry, does each side use 2 dice (1 for each unit)? And does the attacker have to roll a 2 or better in order for a defense point to be taken off an infantry unit where as the defender only has to roll a 1 or better to take a defense point off the attacking infantry?

Not exactly, there are no defence points.

With 2 attacking INF’s you throw 2 dice, 1 is a hit, and the defender has to choose their casulaties.
    Let’s say you throw a 4 and a 1, that means the defender has to take 1 casualty of their choice (in this case an INF, of course), this casualty gets to fire back before it ‘dies’.
    So the defence throws, let’s say they throw a 2 and a 6, that means 1 hit.
    So the attacker has to remove 1 unit.
    This leaves 1 attacker and 1 defender on the strip, so the attacker can now retreat or go on attacking.

Left are 1 defender, so the attacker lost.

So basically: the numbers are the damage a unit can give. But everything gets killed by 1 hit (except battleships and aircraft carriers, which can take 2 hits before sinking)
    So, if 4 INF attack 1 fighter and you throw one 1, the fighter is killed (it doesnt take 4 hits to kill 1 fighter, i mean)

• Sorry to keep going on about this, but let’s say there’s an infantry and a mech infantry are attacking an aa gun and a tactical bomber, the attacker rolls 2 dice and happens to be a 1 on each dice, and the defender rolls 2 dice and both are a 1 as well, do both parties lose everybody involved? Or is it more like because there are two infantry you roll 2 dice per infantry and the defender rolls 2 dice per unit because they have 2 units involved? Don’t mean to beat a dead horse. Thanks for all the help too.

• @cz75:

Sorry to keep going on about this, but let’s say there’s an infantry and a mech infantry are attacking an aa gun and a tactical bomber, the attacker rolls 2 dice and happens to be a 1 on each dice, and the defender rolls 2 dice and both are a 1 as well, do both parties lose everybody involved? Or is it more like because there are two infantry you roll 2 dice per infantry and the defender rolls 2 dice per unit because they have 2 units involved? Don’t mean to beat a dead horse. Thanks for all the help too.

No problem :)

Your example is abit unusual, cuz of the AA, which fires (only at planes) before the combat.

In this combat, the AA doesn’t fire, because there are no planes to shoot at (though, by Alpha+3 rules it can be used as a casualty, in the original out of the box rules it will not participate in this fight, won’t take any hits, and be captured if the attackers take the territory)

In case of your AA-scenario: attackers shoot (and hit) twice, defenders shoot back only once (and hit), but take both the hits from the attacker. 2 defenders die, 1 attacker survives.
    Result: territory is taken by the remaining attacker unit.

It is different with 2 regular defenders (non-AA)
    So, in that case:
    you attack, 2 hits = both defenders die (but both get to shoot back).
    Defenders score 2 hits = both attackers die.
    Result: territory is cleared but not taken, so it stays from the defending country.

Edit:

You just roll one dice per unit. So every unit in the game can make 1 hit per combat round (AA-guns being the exception).

For example:
    10 attacking units vs. 9 defending units,
    Attackers roll 10 dice and do (for ex) 4 hits = 4 enemy units will die (5 remaining)
    But before the 4 casulaties are removed from play, they shoot back, so the defender will roll 9 dice.
    And let’s say they roll 7 hits = 7 attackers die. 
    Result: next combat round: 3 attackers vs. 5 defenders

Sorry, i’m not the best teacher :D

• That explains it pretty well, appreciate it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m