• So recently my Wii has stopped working. I’m pretty sure my brother’s Xbox 360 has been broken at some point. Interestingly enough, my N64 works perfectly. Even my Super Nintendo, which was actually a hand-me-down from my uncle still works. WHAT’S THE DEAL?

• over worker cpu’s and gpu’s simple polygons of n64 are easyer to “number crunch” and the supernintendo is A) 2d B) LO DEF 1’s and 0’s are easey then hundreds and thousands of polygons

• Ok, I don’t really understand any of that, but I’ll go ahead and assume you know what you’re talking about.  :-D

• the cpu’s the componet that turns millions of 100010010111010101001001101010 in to readable polygons to send to the GPU, which tranfer it to a desplayable form, and are responceable for makeing the 3d fell 3D, and motion smoother.  the origional systems had verry simple codeing, so you dont NEED a good CPU/GPU BUT…at time goes on the 1’s and 0’s become mor in depth. and thus you need a better CPU and GPU. am i right?

• Programmed obsolescence. By design, last generation consoles are made to fail after a certain time of usage to force the player to purchase a new console. Seems that is a more and more common ‘feature’ of technological devices nowadays. In next years we can expect that new devices will be of lesser and lesser cuality, since the phenomenon is near to become a plague, and nobody cares about stopping the plague.

Seems that programmed obsolescence was not yet implemented in former generations of consoles in the physic console. Former generations had the next generation console as programmed obsolescence system (example: Sega Saturn was Genesis’s programed obsolescence). Nowadays, companies are becoming even greedier, thus they include PO systems in the physical console instead of waiting to the next generation come. Our only option as individual players is refuse to purchase present and next generations systems and games. I did so, and I think that I’m don’t missing much anyway.

For the record, my Sega Saturn still works as the first day (and so my SNES and MD), while my brother’s PS2 broken a couple of years ago … and you can guess that PS3 and XBOX360 consoles all the world will be useless trash when Sony and MS launch next generation console and stop their net services for former consoles. From my point of view, programmed obsolescence is almost the same as stealing

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Programmed obsolescence

This is the case.  It’s why they don’t build lightbulbs that last forever, and it’s why cars from 50 years ago are far more formiddable, durable, reliable, and repairable than today.

• I’d also add that the complexity of the systems these days allow more for failures (e.g. moving parts) and mass production of technology that is contracted out to the cheapest bidder trumps QA so problems show up later.  Fans were not present in older systems and overheating is a higher threat to current gen consoles than previous gen, as an example.

I don’t believe the programmed obsolescence.  Things can and do go bad for many reasons already listed.  If it is premature, each and every company has owned up to it.

@Gargantua:

Programmed obsolescence
    This is the case.  It’s why they don’t build lightbulbs that last forever, and it’s why cars from 50 years ago are far more formiddable, durable, reliable, and repairable than today.

This is just complete nonsense.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Consumerism is what’s NONSENSE.

The Queen mothers dollhouse has some of the first light bulbs EVER made in it.

They still work TODAY.  After 100 years you’d think they’d need to be replaced?

GM refuses to make plastic bodied cars anymore, and are returned to steel designs.  What the hell you say?  Plastic is Cheaper, lasts longer, and is lighter?  What’s going on?

Let me tell you,  I’ll spend some time trying to dig up the report, but more or less, steel rusts, thereby encouraging people to buy NEW cars, since the old ones look like crap/rust away/break down.

It’s like the guy who invented the plastic carburator.  A $2 mass producable part, that could easily be modulated to work on many different engines.  His design was bought by Ford for MILLIONS of dollars so they could - guess what? -  shelve it, and prevent anyone else from ever building it for as long as possible.

When I worked in the Tech Industry,  A-Bit used to buy capacitors for their motherboards, that their research timed, would only last as long as the warranty cycle.  The A-Bit BE62 (As I recall?) Slot 1 motherboards, were an abymssal design, and alot of people were buying a replacement at the 13th month mark.  A-bit celebrated this failure, as a grand achievement, because “more consumers” were now on the market again.

Putting your head in the sand is what’s NONSENSE.

If it is premature, each and every company has owned up to it.

What about the dozens of companies that literally have insurance agencies (Like the one in Fight Club) who’s job it is to determine if it’s cheaper to just pay people out after they get hurt/killed, vs repair and recall the product?  That’s a legitimate job Jermofoot

Don’t be naive friends…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m