• I’ve been experimenting with alternative global setups in an effort to find balance. One setup which has returned favorable results requires fewer rules, not more. Using Alpha2 rules but no national objectives has returned some tight finishes and, so far, balanced results. The caveat of course is that i have a limited set of eyeballs and opponents. From this limited data set i might conclude that all the extra bonus income only muddles and confuses the game.

More testing is needed but i wonder if a true global solution would mean less is more.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Interesting,

With no NO’s, There would be no reason to go into the Pacific as the Americans, and Japan + Italy would be broke.

Russia never seems to get NO’s, and at 37 IPC’s starting,  how is Germany going to compete?

You’d see alot less units on the board, which means the dice swing is a bigger “bad game” culprit.

Worth thinking about I suppose, but my gut tells me the Axis get hammered.  Unless of course… no NO’s mean the US doesn’t get to upgrade it’s factories for free!

• USA loses a lot, which might balance out Germany and Japan vs. Russia.

Thoughts on Pacific
    –---------------------------
    USA would collect only 50 IPCs per turn once they lose Philippines.  Japan can easily still climb to high values since the DEI have most of their value baked in.  I don’t see America as being capable of abandoning the Pacific in this rule set.  Japan can get beastly quickly if they take Hong Kong (3), DEI (15), Philippines (2), Malaya (3) - that alone puts them at 49 not including any Chinese or Russian territories - basically parity with USA.  I can’t imagine USA being able to ignore Japan at all.

Thoughts on Europe

Germany will be losing some hefty bonuses early.  They won’t get the Norwar/Denmark OR Russia bonuses, nor will the Russia bonus be replaced with a VC bonus in the Russian interior.  No unit in Egypt will actually be nice, since that’s always a pain in the butt.  Russia will essentially get their normal income, since they rarely get the bonus, but pushing into Europe will be much slower for Russia since they won’t get the bonuses for each original German territory.

Italy is going to feel the most pinch.  They will lose the 3/4, ships in Med, and all the Middle East bonuses.  This would require Italy to secure those southern European territories (Yugoslavia 2, Southern France 3, Greece 2) to have much of an income to compete with British naval might.  Britain will not get the automatic +5 IPCs their first round which always aggravates everyone anyway, and will see German subs as the standard threat instead of an additional threat for their NO bonus.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m