• So the past weekend me and some friends played AA Europe 1940 and I was playing has USSR. Soon has I could, I declared war on Germany and I managed to get Greater Southwer Germany, at that point I was building bombers and infantry to don’t let the Germany to make a counter attack but I noticed that I only got 2 bomber miniatures, now I’m asking myself if I lost any miniatures or the game really comes with only 2 bombers

• Only have 2 in my box.

• '16 Customizer

Yep. 2 bombers is standard. Both historically and realistically, Russia did not have need of many bombers… their war was mainly a ground war (with fighters and tactical bombers of course). Russian bombing never really played a huge role in the war. Also, in the actual board game, a good German opponent will force you to spend money on ground forces… any time you can purchase bombers frequently, especially as Russia, your enemy isn’t threatening you very much. So, in MOST games, Russia won’t need more than 2 bombers.

• I think it’s a shame that plastic figurines are that limited in a $100 game…  :x

Luckily I’ve got some spares from my old sets…though I still fall short on some tokens or unit (italian tokens, mechanised infantry)

• @soldaatvanoranje:

I think it’s a shame that plastic figurines are that limited in a $100 game…  :x

Yes, it is.

• @Spitfire38:

Yep. 2 bombers is standard. Both historically and realistically, Russia did not have need of many bombers… their war was mainly a ground war (with fighters and tactical bombers of course). Russian bombing never really played a huge role in the war. Also, in the actual board game, a good German opponent will force you to spend money on ground forces… any time you can purchase bombers frequently, especially as Russia, your enemy isn’t threatening you very much. So, in MOST games, Russia won’t need more than 2 bombers.

Well, for 1 IPC extra your TB becomes a 6-movement unit that can attack at 4 on its own. I found them useful when Germany is waiting long to attack Russia. Together with lots of infantry and a few artillery you get to have a decent counter attack force. Better then tanks in the way you will lose your tanks, but bombers (should) safely return home.
    But yes, about 3 bombers ought to be enough…

It’s not ideal but you can use french bombers as extra’s

• but why bombers for russia?
    mostly in active defence (counterattacking but not really gaining) a bomber is not as much valuable as fighters. attacking at 3, defending at 4.

• I would have to agree, there should be no reason the russians should ever buy a bomber, let alone two bombers. Even if the gain the upper hand, they should still buy tanks/fighters just incase they loose it, than they will have additional forces to defend a counter offensive.

• A lot depends on the situation, if Germany is threatening early on, i wouldn’t buy them either. And if the plan is to turtle, then of course you won’t need any.

Still, if you count that 2 tanks = 1 bomber and taking into consideration that tanks will get lost after they come into action (unless you do an attack and retrat) and a bomber won’t have to be, then the idea isn’t so weird.
    If you want more defence value for Moskou, then ok, a tactical bomber will suit you better. When you do go for a few bombers, evacuate them on time and they can still be of use around the Middle East and Africa.
    (it is also an option for fighters and tacs, they can reach Cyprus, for example)

• @rock`n:

but why bombers for russia?
    mostly in active defence (counterattacking but not really gaining) a bomber is not as much valuable as fighters. attacking at 3, defending at 4.

Nobody is saying “only buy” bombers.
    But sending bombers to attack enemy units an extra zone behind the front while you counter attack on the front - or combining them with a few inf to soak up damage in a counter attack on a just lost field, or a field where the enemy is staging troops - can really devastate enemy stacks. You do not need to take ground to really bog down an enemy front.
    Just don’t get caught with bombers on the defence - expensive unit to throw out that way.

That’s the fun of this game, that you have multiple choices depending on a given situation despite the overall situation.

• I would agree with you on those points. But I would advise buying a Tac. Bomber for every fighter the russians start out with before purchasing bombers. This will make the fighters worth more, and enable the Tac. Bombers to have a much higher value. Essentially a Bomber that defends as a 3 combat factor. This all depends on wether or not one wants to pair his fighters and Tac bombers together. In my opinion, the only reason to buy a bomber is: strategic bombing and if you have no fighters and need a good offensive unit on a front. This limits their usefulness. One last reason to rip on the Bomber is the fact they cant be on a carrier. So in the end I would change my previous statement, Strategic Bombers are of limited use.

• @Endeer:

I would agree with you on those points. But I would advise buying a Tac. Bomber for every fighter the russians start out with before purchasing bombers. This will make the fighters worth more, and enable the Tac. Bombers to have a much higher value. Essentially a Bomber that defends as a 3 combat factor. This all depends on wether or not one wants to pair his fighters and Tac bombers together. In my opinion, the only reason to buy a bomber is: strategic bombing and if you have no fighters and need a good offensive unit on a front. This limits their usefulness. One last reason to rip on the Bomber is the fact they cant be on a carrier. So in the end I would change my previous statement, Strategic Bombers are of limited use.

Okay, but Russia can only dream of an aircraft carrier, and a bomber has a larger range, which in a huge country like Russia can be very useful. (though in Global this factor would play stronger than in a Europe game).

• That statement has great merit to it. In a Global campaign, the bomber would be able to traverse the fronts easily allowing russia to be able to get quick offensive power in the far east.

• '16 Customizer

Bombers are generally a waste of money if you’re playing the Russian strategy- hold em n the ground. To make a bomber effective on the front lines, you must attack with a buffer so you don’t lose it in the 2nd round of combat… So yeah, theyre pretty good on offense. However, to go behind enemy lines and pester the weak inf and tanks… The odds are bad. Either pair your bomber with fighters and tactical bombers (which Russia can’t spare) or risk a bomber getting shot down by a tank or inf… The odds are poor for you  :| overall, they are a bad use of money. Useful in some situations? Yes. But overall, go with mech infantry or something.

• Just use French units. It’s not as if they EVER will need their bomber, anyways.

I do, however, agree that the box is terribly lacking in pieces, especially grey and red troop counters…. I finally got back my Old AA, that I had left at my parents’ years ago, and it really changed my life, not having to use coins, to put under the units…

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What are you talking about?

I build french aircraft and ships EVERY game!?!?!

• I once played a game where Germany attacked with a good force, France rolled 7 hits of its 9 two combat factor units. France lasted till turn two. However germany took france and Britan on turn 2 which turned the tables for an axis victory.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m