• I have just finished my fifth game of Axis and Allies 1940 Europe, (the fifth one being my first game using the alpha 2 rule set). Anyways i was wondering if any one was building facilities in Axis and Allies. Any input would be appreciated.

• You mean air- and naval bases? Almost never.

Edit: one time i had considered an airbase at Malta so the US could move their fleet in (and land some extra planes on Malta for scrambling), but finally it never got built.

• Yea, by this statement i mean Air/Naval bases and also minor/major industrial complexes. However there has already been a thread on factories, this mostly pertains to Air/Naval bases.

• With Alpha2, there’s a couple of spots where building and Air Base can be very useful.

• according to “special forces” i think, there are rare moments building some facilities as naval or air bases. there are plenty already on the board.

i would suggest only one spot:

as UK you can invest in a naval base for iceland, helping the US to get quickly to europe the northern way.

rock`n roll

• Yea thats might be worth trying, only problem being when i play USA, i usually land on africa and retake cairo, which leaves the axis with only 7 plausible major cites to capture.

• yeah, but by what turn you usually arrive there?

• It usually depends on the shape of the Italian fleet, usually they will have minimal ships left seeing as the english and french combined fleets can put up a great fight (good rolls can even give them the battle which depends on what the italian air force is committed too. So usually first turn I’ll move my US ships too Gibraltar, Than next turn ill drop on Libya, or the French colonies, and move my US ships into destroy the Italian fleet with extra fighters from Gibraltar. This will enable me too take egypt three turns after US comes in because of the tanks/mech. infantry. Depending on the garrison, i may just bombard with my fleet and air support on egypt opposed to wiping out the italian fleet.

• '16 Customizer

@special:

Edit: one time i had considered an airbase at Malta so the US could move their fleet in (and land some extra planes on Malta for scrambling), but finally it never got built.

Yes, I’ve considered the Malta airbase as well. If you’re not a hardcore “I must win no matter what” person, than it is a really fun strategy and can pay off. If you have an allied fleet in the Med to provide a little bit of support, then a Malta full of fighters can be deadly for Axis fleets, as well as North Africa and Southern Germany/ parts of Russia and France. It would definitely be a great idea to support the American landing in North Africa and/or Italy.

• Yea, I believe in the alpha 2 rules they add a fighter air base/antiaircraft, and an infantry unit at malta which adds more strategy in the Mediterranean theatre. The rules also change the placement of english ships but not much changes in the broad terms. However in the alpha 2 rules the italian fleet gets a major bulk. i believe adding 2 destroyers, one transport and a sub as well as the air-force buff of a tac. bomber. this makes it virtually impossible for the limited english and french force to take the Mediterranean. But next time i play english in a normal rule set i think it would be worth it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m