• So by Turn 4 Japan has taken Calcutta, and reduced China to 3 territories.  Their navy is so strong that it continues to hold back the US, who was went to war Turn 1, and has spent nearly everything in the Pacific.  Their production is nearing the US’s  The rolling has been pretty even, maybe slightly toward Japan.  What am I doing wrong?

• Dont remember 100%, but I think carrier first turn, destroyer second, and 3 inf last turn.

• Well buying Navy with Calcutta is a trap most times.  You make enough at the start to think you can afford it but their income drops so fast that your not going to be able to protect your capital adaquately if you make the navel investment.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

No offense,

but sounds like you just need a few more games under your belt.  You wouldn’t buy  Russian battleships in Original 1982 Axis and Allies for a reason.

It’s the same for Calcutta.

Just play some more games, you’ll figure it out, you’re not necessary doing anything wrong at all.

• @Gargantua:

No offense,

but sounds like you just need a few more games under your belt.  You wouldn’t buy  Russian battleships in Original 1982 Axis and Allies for a reason.

It’s the same for Calcutta.

Just play some more games, you’ll figure it out, you’re not necessary doing anything wrong at all.

Well I’ve got less than 20 games of all A&A, and this is my first 1940 game.  Thanks tho, will keep this in mind for round 2 ;)

• Sponsor

I was going to purchuse a carrier First turn for Calcutta and fly a couple of ANZAC fighters on it. Now I’m not so sure, is this considered a newbe move?

• '12

When playing Global or Pacific 1940, I typically use the British to try and stop the Japanese on the Asian mainland while using Anzac and the US to confront the Japanese fleet and push them out of the Pacific.

It sounds like the guy that you are playing against is using an all out “India Crush” strategy to knock you out Calcutta in the early game.  While it can be hard to defend against a really determined Japanese player, there are things that you can do to prevent this or at the very least make the Japanese losses severe.

1. Build Troops - This will give you the best defense value for your money.  If he is hitting you on turn 4, then you can have about 25 units (approx) on India when he attacks

2. Buy an AA gun on the first turn - While some people may disagree with me on this buy, I think that it is a must for the UK Pacific.  If the Japanese are bringing in 15 planes or so to knock out India, chance are you will destroy at least 2 maby 3 planes.  Even if they do not go for the India crush, I say that having that AA gun in your main stack is huge for offsetting the Japanese air advantage.

3. Block with your fleet - Send out the transport to take what DEI islands that you can early on, but save the other ships to block the Japanese navy from sending transports into India (which I assume they are doing).  If you can save yourself just one turn this way, that is another 7-8 inf that you can put in India.

• You might consider buying a transport on Turn 1 of UK Pacific, to help take the DEI islands later on, but that’s about it in terms of building ships.  India’s income falls so fast from the Japs by Turn 3-4 that trying to maintain a navy is suicidal.  ART and INF buys are generally the way to go.  You can throw back the Japs in Burma for quite awhile with consistent land unit buys.  Just don’t leave your land stack in Burma and have Jap transports from Malaya in range of an undefended India.

Think of the Pacific UK in gameplay terms like Russia, where you just have to hold out until the cavalry arrives.  Usually this is the US, though the UK can sometimes send a fleet in from the Med after they’ve taken out the Italians there.

• Agree; AA gun, inf, art and 1 tank or 1 plane each turn. Try to play attacking, focus on Burma and Yunnan as long as possible, but retreat when it is clear he goes all out on India and India is within reach.

• Don’t people normally take the Indian fleet to the Mediterranean?

• @cts17:

Don’t people normally take the Indian fleet to the Mediterranean?

sometimes

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m