• I have Battle of the Bulge and Spring 1942 and I was going to get Guadalcanal but I was wondering, is it worth buying? Is it hard to understand the rules? I would appreciate answers to these questions. Thanks in advance. :-D

• '10

I would say yes, it definitely worth buying it !
    Personally, i found it much easyer than Battle of the Bulge to understand the rules.
    Also, you get to chose the units you want for each turn, which, in my opinion, is more fun than having it all set up like in BOB or DDay.
    Until Global (alpha+2) came out, Guadalcanal was my favorite one, it’s really fun if you have 2-3h to spend playing with one of your buddies (your 1st games could last 4-5h though when you’re not used to it).

• Thanks for the input :-D I think I may buy it sometime in the near future.

• Guadalcanal is The game to get for Axis and Allies. At least until Global 40 is hashed out.

My 12 year old son and i can finish a game in 2 hours. Mostly because we’re not bombing airfields enough. Your first game will be difficult as you look at the board and wonder “now what.” Strategies aren’t as obvious as spring 1942.

I like the game because it brings more of a true combined arms feel than other games. The ships really are here to protect the transports which bring the infantry which allow you to win.

• @ehenry:

Guadalcanal is The game to get for Axis and Allies. At least until Global 40 is hashed out.

My 12 year old son and i can finish a game in 2 hours. Mostly because we’re not bombing airfields enough. Your first game will be difficult as you look at the board and wonder “now what.” Strategies aren’t as obvious as spring 1942.

I like the game because it brings more of a true combined arms feel than other games. The ships really are here to protect the transports which bring the infantry which allow you to win.

2 hours is really fast even for this fast game compared to most A&A. The alternate move unit type structure also makes this game ‘feel’ fast even if you aren’t getting it in under 2 hours.

Stratgies aren’t as obvious as Spring '42 because the entire game board represents just one little space on the global game maps.

• Agreed on all counts. Our games have been fast because we build airbases immediately and haven’t bombed airbases. Victory points rack up quickly. I’m sure as we get more knowledgeable the games will take longer :)

• Spam not dead.

• Spam not dead.

• Spam not dead.

• Spam not dead.

• Spam not dead.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m