• Over the past couple of games I have seen great use out of a Morrocan air base.  With German and Italian Planes in Morroco and Gibralter they both can build and mass a navy just out side of the Med.  Keeping USA at bay until Russa falls. Has anyone else tried this??

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I included it in my theory for an Axis Neutrals Blitz….  but that’s it.

• Like your idea, but think you can better take Gibraltar

• No duh Darlan, thanks for the insight. :roll:  A moroccan airbase is so you can scramble 6 planes into the sz’s.

• After trying this a couple times I have found that it’s worth doing early if USA is neglecting the Atlantic.  If Germany puts some subs down there and Italy is providing some navel equipment as well it prevents USA from getting that important foothold in the  Atlantic.  I also put a mixed airforce in both morroco and gibraltor.  Italy and Germany splitting the cost to defend against the USA was very helpful indeed.

• I understand, but this would however take a lot of effort for Germany to get there with ships (sailing past the UK), meaning less emphasis on Moscow. For Italy alone this would of course be too expensive, thus upside is limited to 3 German planes. Could work when Germany is more focused on the Atlantic than Russia (ie in a sealion scenario). All in all, I would take just Gibraltar.

• Agreed…. In the games I have played uk fell and this was used to keep USA at bay while Germany was making advances on Russia.  It worked quite well,  I would do it again.

• @Peck:

After trying this a couple times I have found that it’s worth doing early if USA is neglecting the Atlantic.  If Germany puts some subs down there and Italy is providing some navel equipment as well it prevents USA from getting that important foothold in the  Atlantic.  I also put a mixed airforce in both morroco and gibraltor.  Italy and Germany splitting the cost to defend against the USA was very helpful indeed.

If USA neglects the Atlantic, why would you bother in the first place?

• USA can build a navy fast, their 2 turns from 2 vcs on the Atlantic side and sometimes all you need is to be one turn ahead to get the win.

• @JimmyHat:

No duh Darlan, thanks for the insight. :roll:  A moroccan airbase is so you can scramble 6 planes into the sz’s.

Now i’m not so up to date about alpha 2 rules, but why can planes in Morocco scramble and Gibraltar not?

And if Gib. can, why would anyone devide their (expensive) forces over 2 zones?

Also, as Axis, if you lose Gibraltar, having Morroco still opens the door to the med for the Allies, no?

@Peck:

USA can build a navy fast, their 2 turns from 2 vcs on the Atlantic side and sometimes all you need is to be one turn ahead to get the win.

i know winning time is important, i just think you’ll just be attracting the USA instead. When i am USA and i see planes within reach of destruction, and a free airbase (even a strategicly useless one), it will be like a magnet to me.
    also, keep in mind that if Axis take Gibraltar, they can reach way too much from SZ91, even from SZ92 for USA to allow this.
    No sane USA player wouldnot react to this instantly.

If you want to drag american spending away from the Pacific and into the Atlantic, then go and take Gibraltar.

Also airbases (and air force) don’t come cheap!

• Okay, I’ll spell it out for you.  1 airbase in Gib and 1 airbase in Morocco lets you scramble 6 aircraft to the sz outside Gib.  This means the US(again, london is captured in this case) will have to attack the sz outside Gib with 6 ftrs defending the combined axis fleets.

If you leave your axis ships in the Med, then the US will just destroy one airbase and kill half your stuff……if you defend /OUTSIDE/ the Med, you can then scramble to that sz to help in your defense.

Understand?

• @JimmyHat:

Okay, I’ll spell it out for you.  1 airbase in Gib and 1 airbase in Morocco lets you scramble 6 aircraft to the sz outside Gib.  This means the US(again, london is captured in this case) will have to attack the sz outside Gib with 6 ftrs defending the combined axis fleets.

If you leave your axis ships in the Med, then the US will just destroy one airbase and kill half your stuff……if you defend /OUTSIDE/ the Med, you can then scramble to that sz to help in your defense.

Understand?

Don’t worry, i understand combined fleets and such. But you didn’t seem to understand my question.
    Why spread your airplanes over 2 countries? Gibraltar touches the same seazones as Morroco and it already has everything you need. Is there a limit in scrambling from 1 country? (if there is i understand your choice for an extra AB, again i’m not that familiar with the alpha rules)

@JimmyHat:

(again, london is captured in this case)

ah so now London has fallen (i see Peck wrote something about that), and USA still neglected to go in the Atlantic? … quite interesting.

• Yes limit is tree planes per airbase.

• ah ok, well thanks for clearing that up for me.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m