• 2007 AAR League

Japan is the country that I play the worst at. My opening move I buy a sub in Japan, and an industrial complex in French-Indochina Burma. Then I attack the Hawaiian Islands with one fighter, Caroline Islands, BB, Caroline Islands, BB, Japan, Sub, Solomon Islands, and maybe two infantry from Japan. The attack is usually a success but the U.S. just comes right back and destroys my fleet. Plus, it doesn’t seem like it delays them too much. Can someone please help! I would appreciate :D . Thanks again :D .

• The main thing to remember is that if you succeed in getting the US to build a Pacific fleet, it’s distracting them from Germany. Generally, Japan’s role is to take over Asia. I’m sure somebody will come along and tell you specifically why not to buy an IC, but it’s not considered the best way to get troops to the continent. The best thing to do is buy inf. and trns and get an inf force, then build arm later on.

• There should be no way that US can destroy the JAP navy if you come with everything.

I suggest the following:

1 bmb (JAP), 1 ftr (PHI), 1 ftr (CAR), 1 bb (JAP), 1 trn (JAP), 1 bb (CAR), 1 sub (SOL), 1 ac (CAR) – do NOT bring 2 inf.

You can use your trn and sub as cannon fodder. You should have 2 bb’s, the ac and 2 ftrs left (and perhaps the trn or sub). US can only attack with 1 bb, 1 trn, 2 ftr (one will have to land in HAW) and 1 bmb. US should lose this battle … and if it some how does win – the US will be left with only one unit (prob. the bb). Thus, no airforce at all!

In addition, like GI stated … this will divert the US fleet from moving to the Atlantic.

Also — NO IC on JAP 1 … buy inf and trns!

I usually buy 2 trns and 3 inf.
    I attack the fleet at Hi with 2 BB, 1 sub, 2 ftrs 1 AC sometimes I’ll bring the bomber too - usually enough to deter a counter attack. (See MistaBiggs)
    I also only attack Chi and that is it unless SFE and/or India are vacated by the Allies.

Trans allow more versitility early on. If you by an IC, you can’t use newly placed units till rd 3, but with trns you can use them to transport inf and attack in rd 2. Ex - take SFE or HI in rd 2 via trn with BB support, or even Alaska.
    You don’t need a sub in rd 1 since the Jap navy is in no threat from the US. Although watch out for ftrs in Yak, other than that you’re safe and just need to buy tons of trns. And don’t forget to take the inf off the Pacific Islands too!

I save IC’s for later, not before rd 4 or 5, when I have Asia secure and need a few tanks for the eventual assualt on Moscow.

• As Japan, I NEVER engage the USA directly, as, by numbers, the USA always wins UNTIL the japs can build up their cash by land conquest.

• The 3 inf & 2 trn buy is my first buy as JApan in a standard or RR game.
    After that, buy 1 trn each turn untill you have 6-7 trns.

You should be shipping a minimum of 6 inf and 1 arm to Man by J2 each turn. This ratio of 6:1 is good for infantry as fodder and arm to aid the ftr attack #s(ftrs are extra mobile tanks.) This is enough to chew off most of Asia unless UK/US reinforce or build an IC. Even with UK/US reinforcements you are helping Germany.

Follow DM & MB’s idea for Haw sz.

After Pearl you can move the Japanese fleet toward India(if not taken early due to Brit retreat) and/or Africa to support Germany’s holding it and to link up for mutual support. Don’t forget to send a trn or two with inf aboard along.

You may find the Japanese IC in Asia unnecessary. I often do. Sometimes I take those IPCs and build a trn and 2 inf to sail to Brazil. Maybe Hawaii or Alaska with additional support(bb or another trn and arm.)

• 2007 AAR League

Thanks for all of the help everyone :D !

• If i may . . .
    I agree w/ MB, DM, and EJ. Sometimes i do not like to bring the trn “as cannon fodder” as it were, to Pearl Harbor. The reason for this is to get more troops onto the mainland, to take SFE, or to help out in other places. Mabye even to get into position to take NZ/Aus. For me getting a force onto Asia is the most important thing, and having a couple of extra BB’s wont help you do that if you played your first few turns properly.
    The thing is, usaully i see the US player bring its trn and bb down south to get the BB to the Atlantic. IF the US attacks my Pearl fleet, then i’m generaly prety happy about that. On the occassional chance that they actually do win, they’ve exhausted their airforce. This is a bit of a setback for the liberation of Europe, and it gives Germany a little more breathing room and attacking space.

Don’t buy an IC!!! buy Trans.

• The IC horse has been badly beaten, but another thing to think about is that Britain might build an India IC, in which case you get it for free when you take over India. As for Hawaii, either take it over on the first turn in a massive assault using everyting you have if Britain has abandoned Asia, or if there’s a threat from Asia send just enough to destroy the US carrier (1-2 BB, 1 Ftr, 1 sub, 1 Bmr) and save your carrier for the mainland. The US will probably just retreat their west coast BB to the atlantic to use it in Europe.

• Daggum! This is going to my head with people agreeing with me.

It sure as H-E-C-K don’t happen here(my physical locale!)

• Daggum! This is going to my head with people agreeing with me.
    It sure as H-E-C-K don’t happen here(my physical locale!)

Ever consider moving? :D

• My suggestion is that you never ever build any kind of ship except for transport with japan. Japan should put 100% into taking Asian asap. And with a IC on land to produce inf in and with as many transports as you can buy to transport tanks with, you will have whole asia in turn 3 and after that, Russian can start their judgementday countdown.

• 2007 AAR League

This leads me to another question, can Japan just transport as much as it wants to Manchuria using the transport in Japan or can it only transport 2 infantry or 1 armor. Thanks again for all of your help :D :D .

• Each transport can only transport 2 infantry or 1 armor. So buy as many as you can – making sure that you have the proper amount of infantry as well. Buy mainly infantry for the transports … until you’ve amassed a large Japanese force in Asia. I think LJ pointed out that a ratio of 6:1 (infantry:armor/airforce) is a good idea to allow you to have both a maximum attacking threat and still maintian the survival of your armor/airforce (by only using the infantry as cannon fodder).

• 2007 AAR League

I’m not really sure why not just taking one armor, or a couple infantry over, then over again, then over again isn’t legal since the transport isn’t going anywhere, it’s just staying in the same sea zone, isn’t it? Thanks for clearing this up :D :D .

• Once ANY transport unloads – it’s turn is OVER.

• If you are playing Japan and see the US player spending his/her time/money trying to launch an offensive in the Pacific then so much the better for you and Germany. An American offensive in the Pacific = a) loss of the shuck to Europe b) not taking back Africa which means Germany is $$$$$$ and the UK is not $$$$$$

Pearl Harbour isn’t even needed really but can be executed in order to help keep that US fleet out of the Atlantic. But really taking the BBs over to Asia to help with an offensive is clutch, especially on J2 going after India possibly.

Otherwise, everything said above my post is all good advice. Good luck with Japan in the future! :D

• r u kidding me japan is like the best country at the beginning since its surrounded by china which u could easily take and the east part of russia. also the hawaian islands which is also easy to beat

i like a man who grins when he fights
    -winston churchill

• I think it’s critical to capture the Hawaiian Islands in the first round of play. Occupying Hawaii is important because it reduces by 1 fighter any US counterattack (the Eastern US fighter will have nowhere to land). This may sound trivial, but it’s actually a great deterrent because it practically guarantees that the Americans will lose EVERYTHING after just one pass, should they counterattack. Compare the odds: Japan 4 d 4s (2 BS, 2 Fig), 1 d 3 (AC), and 1 d 1 (Trn) vs US 2 d 4 (BS, Bomber), 1 d 3 (Fig), and 1 Trn fodder. In the average game, the Japanese will suffer 2 losses while America will be eliminated from the Pacific entirely. In this scenario America has little choice but to cut and run with its paltry West Coast fleet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m