• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What are mitigating strategies to deal with the PARIS TRAP?

For those of you who don’t know what I’m getting at, I’ll explain.

Germany Takes Paris,  turns later the allies land in Western Europe.  Throughout the course of the game, SEVERAL french territories, including normandy, have been taken by the allies, aiding their income, and allowing them to produce units in europe.

Now, if the allies go and “Liberate” paris, they are fubar’d.  All territories the Allies have recaptured from the Axis, become French AGAIN.  the French can only produce 3 units in Paris, in comparison to the axis 10 in Northern Italy, or 10 in West Germany.  Not to mention that the French have to collect all the income AGAIN for all their liberated territories, before they can produce.

The Germans/Italians get the last laugh, when they take paris BACK into their hands.  And worse, if you do nothing, the germans can produce in the territory, and get + 4 IPC’s a turn if you DON’T take it. :S

Who has exstensive experience in dealing with this?  What are your mitigating strategies? and also, on the flip side, how do you use this to your advantage as the Germans?

• I just leave it be for a while.  Capture and hold Normandy and Merseille building 6 USA units there every turn.  USA fleet to Gib to threaten Rome.  Forces Germany to move into Paris to try to make the allies hold only one IC, or watch the USA add 3rtl and 3arm every turn!  Hard to keep an axis stack in Denmark/Berlin  WGer and Paris.  Once the allies are large enough THEN move into Paris, but you need to be able to take WGer before you take Paris.

This is a minor inconvenience.  4ipc’s to Germany is not a whole lot when there are over 300ipc’s being collected worldwide.  My advice is to hold off on operation Cobra.

• Customizer

Yeah, in our games, Paris usually doesn’t get liberated until close to the end when the Allies are winning the game.  Usually, Rome is taken out by then so even if Italy still holds Northern Italy with the Major IC, they can’t put anything there.  Also, W. Germany is usually taken by UK or USA before liberating Paris for the very reason that Germany might take it right back, unless the liberating Ally has a huge enough force to put in Paris AND survive any battle so that Germany doesn’t want to waste the manpower or equipment to try and take it back.  If that’s the case, then Germany needs every thing it’s got to defend Berlin because Patton, Montgomery and Zukhov are closing in.

• Do USA or UK get IPCs for occupying French territories while Paris is owned by Germany?  I thought they were “liberated” rather than “conquered”.

Also, how come France starts with 17 IPCs when all the French territories on the Europe board add up to 16 and the vietnam one on the Pacific board is another 2?

• '10

@Vance:

Do USA or UK get IPCs for occupying French territories while Paris is owned by Germany?  I thought they were “liberated” rather than “conquered”.

Also, how come France starts with 17 IPCs when all the French territories on the Europe board add up to 16 and the vietnam one on the Pacific board is another 2?

You get IPCs for french territories when you liberate those territories from the Axis AND Paris is in Axis hands.

There is 19 french IPC on the map. Did you count Madagascar ?

• It kind of makes you play the game in a historical way. I think Italy was captured before D-day. After that you have to overwhelm the Germans in France to hold onto it. (Again this is kind of what happened historically)

• Liberating France is so much more easier with Italy out of the game.  I don’t think its impossible to liberate France without Italy out of the war, but its extremely difficult.

• i do a two pronged attack, only after Italy has either been conquered or neutralized by the allies. i land a sizable US force in southern France and a small US force in Normandy. the British also land a large force in Normandy. this way if either is destroyed, its not a total loss and by this stage, the axis usually don’t have the manpower to kill both.

• TripleA

yeah manuevering around paris is how the game goes germany holds out a long time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m