Napoleon in Europe by Eagle Games FAQ

• Customizer

Since Eagle Games forum is gone, all the rules clarifications are gone too.

This is a great game that I still play, and I assume that many others still do as well.

I had printed off the thread where TFK had answered questions about the rules, and thought I would post them here.  I have retyped it here just as it had been originally, so the wording is not altered.

TFK was the official rules guy on the forum, just like Krieghund is now, so everything typed out here is official.

The 9 page FAQ is still available, but I’ll include it here so there is one place to go to, to get an answer.

Enjoy.

• Customizer

Q.

When playing with terrain, do the players set up the terrain features hidden from view from each other?  If not, who has to place his terrian features first, the player with initiative I assume?  Does he have to place all terrain features, or do the players take turns placing the terrain features?

A.

The rules manual is silent on the timing of terrain placement.  You should feel free to experimant with different options.  For instance, you might allow the player with the higher initiative to place his terrain last, after seeing the other’s placement.  I’m sure you’ll think of interesting alternatives!

Q.

When setting up a battle, can I set up all my pieces in the reserve or retreat box and thereby automatically lose a battle?

A.

No, a player must place at least one non-leader unit in each battle area (p. 38).  Players may voluntarily retreat after the first full turn (p. 43).

Q.

Can an enemy leader block the movement of my units (including my leaders?)

A.

No.  Leaders must automatically retreat if alone when an enemy non-leader unit moves into their battle area.  An enemy leader unit may it advance (alone) into a space occupied by an enemy unit (even just a lone leader).

Q.

If my units enter a land space with only an enemy leader in it, do we go straight to pursuit?

A.

No.  A lone leader on the mapboard simply retreats without any combat or pursuit.  Enemy units act as if the enemy leader was “not there”.

Q.

After a surrender, a battle results if on the way out of the loser’s territory he enters a space with the loser’s units.  However, can the loser actively attack the winner’s units in his territory without declaring war?

A.

The vanquished player can only attack by delcaring war.  See p. 28.

Q.

We had a game with a very unique situation.  A winner of a war cannot attack a loser for 12 months unless the loser starts a war.  We take this to mean that the winner is not allowed to enter any space occuppied by the loser (without right of passage) after he has successfully left the loser’s territory.  This being so, the loser waited until the winner’s army was on an uncontrolled land space and then surrounded his army.  We took this to mean that the winner’s army was stuck in the neutral space he occupied because he was not allowed to enter a space occupied by the loser.  He was stuck for 10 turns.

Here is the situation:

France sued for peace with Prussia and Austria.  The Prussian and Austrian armies are in Paris and have the right of passage from France to exit French territory.  The Prussian and Austrian armies leave French territory by entering neutral Baden Wurst from French Lorraine.  The French player then moves cavalry into neutral Switzerland, Belgium, Bavaria and Hesse Burg.  There is no physical way for the Prussian and Austrian armies to get to their homelands without entering a space with a French unit on it.  France deliberately drew the enemy into France and then surrendered in order to trap them.  Are they stuck in Baden Wurst until they are allowed to declare war on France?

A.

As you describe the situation, I see only one solution: either Prussia or Austria could use diplomacy (“diplomatic overture” p. 33) to sway one of the neutral minor nations.  If successful, the French forces would have to vacate and the armies could continue their march.

• Customizer

Q.

When is a player’s turn finished?  This came up because ‘The Empress is ill’ card was drawn in a battle.  It was the last battle to be fought in the player’s turn (and the last player to move in the month of February) so the drawing of the cards was the last action to be done in February.  The arguement was that the turn (and therefore February) was not finished yet and so the card would take effect in March.  Was this correct, or was the turn over and therefore the card could only be played in March to take effect in April?

A.

A player’s turn is not finished until they have completed any allowed play.  When a player obtains a card, he may only keep 4 cards, right?  Assume for a moment that he already has 4 cards and obtained another card for winning the battle.  He would have to discard the extra card right away, right?  So he can also play a card (instead of discarding one) right away.

So to answer your question, the card in question could be played immediatley (February) to take effect the following turn (March)

• Customizer

Q.

We play with ALL the rules in Advanced.  For the scenario “Into Russia with Love”, it states that if we play with the advanced rules, Spain and Russia both get the attrition cards in their hands to play at a moments notice.  Is this in addition to the attrition rules that occur every build phase?

A.

If you decide to play using ALL the Advanced Rules, then “yes” the cards you receive are in addition to the Attrition rule (p. 51).

Q.

Can attrition occur in Russian or Spanish homeland territories that France owns?

A.

“Homeland” regions, as described on p. 21, do not change during the course of a game, although “ownership” of regions may change.  Therefore, I would say that attrition may occur in Homeland regions of Russia and Spain, even after ownership changes.

• Customizer

Q.

As a response to one of my questions, you posted:

As you describe the situation, I see only one solution: either Prussia or Austria could use diplomacy (“diplomatic overture” p. 33) to sway one of the neutral minor nations.  If successful, the French forces would have to vacate and teh armies could continue their march.

The French pieces are occupying the neutral minor nations that Austria and Prussia need to influence.  Does this mean that the player nation can influence a neutral minor nation without having any units on the neutral minor nation, and despite that someone else is occupying it?

A.

Yes.

From the description, these are minor neutral nations being occupied by the French troops.  Austria/Prussia can certainly try (through diplomatic means) to sway these minor neutrals.  If successful, they would not only gain the province and the associated army, but the French would be forced to leave (as they would now be on foreign soil).

This is not military annexation, it is a Diplomatic Overture.

• Customizer

Q.

Non-player nations in a historical scenario cannot collect PAPs on a build phase.  Is it also a fact that they cannot buy them either?

According to the FAQs, a non-player nation CAN collect PAPs from a battle.  In another thread, it was stated that non-player nations cannot spend PAPs at all.  I would assume that any PAPs collected from battles are then just wasted?

A.

Non-player nations do not interact with PAPs in any way.  Please refer to Q7 in the FAQ.  So there is never any “waste” of PAPs because a non-player nation never recieves them.

Perhaps you are thinking about Production Points (PP), which a non-player nation can certainly accrue.  See Q5 in the FAQ.

This means to me that a 2 player historical game vs a 3 or more player historical game will play quite differently.

As France in a 2 player game, I certainly would chase the player country hard at the expense of non-player countries.  The staying power of the coalition is reduced with only 1 player nation since the other countries the other countries can’t be brought back into the war against France if the single player country is knocked out.  Uprisings will also be much less common.

A historical game gets worse for France with more players.  The staying power of the coalition is greater with coalition members able to bring each other back into the war, and uprisings will be a pain in the butt for France.

• Customizer

Q.

Question/answer #8 in the FAQs states that:

If the controller (player) nation is defeated, the controlled nation(s) remains under control and at war (if any).

The rules manual also states that:

…if all nations in the anti-French Alliance are defeated (sue for peace), the French player(s) win.

From reading this, I took this to mean that in a historical game, all coalition members must have surrendered for France to win whether the coalition members are player nations or non-player nations.

I also assumed that so long as there were still player nations fighting, PAPs could be used to bring the nations back into the fight (even other player nations that now have non-player nation status because they had to sue for peace.

A.

1. In a two player historical game, one player should be France, while the other player will be taking either Britain or some other country, either Austria or Russia.

2. Let’s assume the Coalition player takes Britain.  When France crushes Austria, Britain loses her non-player ally.  But Britain remains in the fight and can ultimately bring in other nations (inluding a resuscitated Austria).  France won’t ever have to defeat Austria again to win the game, but Austria could certainly help in he Coalition and take part in the game generally (or on either side, as a non-player nation).

Q.

France won’t ever have to defeat Austria again to win the game

France only needs to defeat each nation in the coalition once?  So let’s say France is fighting Russia, Britain and Spain and defeats Russia and Spain.  Britain  brings Russia and Spain back into the war, but France only needs to defeat Britain now and ignore that Russia and Spain are at war with her?

A.

No.  The language on p. 22 states,

… and if all nations in the anti-French alliance are defeated (sue for peace), the French player(s) win.

The common sense view is clearly that the Coalition must be defeated.  So France must - at some point - have no Coalition members still actilvey at war with her.

• Customizer

Q.

In a historical game, can France spend PAPs on Diplomatic Overtures on an original coalition member?

A.

Sure, why not?

Upon further reflection, it is clear that a player (in a historical game) must leave the game for France to have the historical chance to sway that nation once defeated.  Otherwise, the Coalition players would never help France, even if France was able to successfully pursue a Diplomatic Overture.

Q.

Upon further reflection, it is clear that a player (in a historical game) must leave the game for France to have the historical chance to sway that nation once defeated.

What about non-player coaltion members from teh start of the game and before they are defeated?  Can France sway them?

A.

Yes, of course!  Both sides may attempt Diplomatic Overtures to a non-player nation.

• Customizer

Q.

While talking about potential strategies, a disagreement came up about the Combined Arms bonus.

Do all units of each type need to start their phase in the same battle zone to get a Combined Arms bonus?

ie - France has advanced his infantry and artillery up to the enemy on a front.  His cavalry is still left behind.  On his next cavalry phase, France charges the line passing through his own infantry and artillery.  Does the cavalry get the bonus?

ie - France has ‘Advanced Command and Control’ innovation.  On the cavalry phase, France advances all his infantry, artillery and cavalry forward.  The cavalry still has a second move and he charges with them.  Does he get the bonus her as well?

A.

Do all units of each type need to start their phase in the same battle zone to get a Combined Arms bonus?

No.

France has ‘Advanced Command and Control’ innovation.  On the cavalry phase, France advances all his infantry, artillery and cavalry forward.  The cavalry still has a second move and he charges with them.  Does he get the bonus her as well?

Yes.

• Customizer

Q.

1. When playing with Reinforcement rules, if the attacker’s main body only has 5 units, but has more units on the way, does the battle start as a skirmish and develop into a major battle?  I am thinking that it is obviously to be set up as a major battle.

2. Again with the Reinforcement rule - if the attacker is forced to retreat before the remainder of his reinforcements arrive, does the defender get to pursue only the units that were in the battle at that time?  Do the reinforcements get to retreat with the main body, or do they remain in the space they were coming from?

3. For initiative purposes, I assume that the attacker only counts leaders, cavalry and light infantry that are in the main body?

4. On innovation cards where it says that a cavalry or artillery must share a battle area with 2 others of the same unit type, must those units be of the same nationality?

A.

1. Six units (on each side) must begin a battle for a Major Battle to occur.

2. Reinforcements which have not yet arrived still retreat with the others.

3. Sounds reasonable.

4. The two cards I came across read somewhat differently:

Cavalry Divisions:  “Player gets … when he has two or more cavalry in that Battle Area.”

Grand Battery:  “+1 to hit with artillery units that share a battle area with at least two other artillery units.”

In the case of Cavalry Divisions, I think the intent was organizational and within a single player’s forces (because of the wording - see emphasis above).

In the case of a Grand Battery, I think that any other (friendly!) artillery will suffice.

• Customizer

Q.

1. Six units (on each side) must begin a battle for a Major Battle to occur.

OK … does the battle remain as a minor battle even when the reinforcements arrive?

A.

Yes.

Q.

In the case of a Grand Battery, I think that any other (friendly!) artillery will suffice.

I assume that the friendly artillery still doesn’t get the grand battery bonus, even though it contributes to the player getting that bonus?

A.

Yes.  (p. 50 states “His forces then benefit from that innovation.”)

Q.

Also, if France is trying to move transports past a British fleet, can Britain choose between intercepting the transports, or the French military fleet going through?  And if the British CAN intercept the military French fleet instead of the transports, does that decrease the number of units the French can transport?

A.

When France moves its naval squadrons into or through the space in question, Britain would have her chance to intercept those squadrons.  If France doesn’t move her naval squadrons but they already share the same sea space with the British naval units, Britain may attempt an interception of those squadrons prior to amphibious movement.  See Defensive Interception in the FAQ.

Transports (when the army pieces move) may be intercepted as well.

See pp. 28 - 29 in the rules manual, and the FAQ, which cantains an example or two of various fleet and amphibious movements.

• Customizer

Q.

Here is the situation:

1. Naval squadrons move first, and then transports move?

A.

Yes.

1. France is attempting an invasion of St. Petersburg.  The French fleet starts in Western Spain, and the units that will land are in Belgium.  The British fleet is in the Bay of Biscay.  The British try to intercept his ships as they move from Western Spain on their way to pick up the units in Belgium.  According to the rules, if there is a battle, the French ships cannot move any further, so I assume this to mean that the landing has to be called off?

A.

The French naval squadrons don’t need to go anywhere near Belgium or “pick up” troops in any way.  To make an amphibious move, a player must simply position naval units in a sea space adjacent to the desired landing space.

1. French transports trace through 3 sea spaces - each with a British naval squadron.  Does interception take place in each of the 3 sea spaces?

A.

Yes.  See p. 29 in the rules manual.

1. If the British attempt to intercept French naval squadrons (fail or succeed), can they still intercept Frecnh transports?

A.

The interception of naval squadrons is completely separate from the interception of transports.  “Yes” is the direct answer to your question, although if the British intercept the French naval squadrons, I would guess that the amphibious move could not be completed.

Given your description, here’s how things should work:

1.  The French player gathers those naval squadrons he feels required for a successful venture and begins the move toward St. Petersburg.  As he begins moving, the British player says, “Whoa there, we’re going to try to intercept you!”.  Since the French player did not just leave port, the British player will need to roll either a “5” or “6” to intercept the Frogs.

2.  Let’s assume a “3” is rolled, so the French player thumbs his nose at the Brit, and continues to move his fleet toward St. Petersburg.  Quite soon, the French player encounters additional British naval squadrons in the English Channel, the North Sea, and further along the route to St. Petersburg.  But the British player has only 1 naval squadron in each sea space, and the French are moving with many squadrons.  So the British player whistles a happy tune and allows the French player to complete his naval move.  The French player doesn’t want to search for these small British fleets, because - if successful - his fleet movement would end there, and that isn’t what this fleet needs to do.  This fleet needs to get to St. Petersburg to allow for the amphibious invasion there!

3)  The French fleet arrives successfully off St. Petersburg where it finds itself in complete command of that sea space.  Unfortunately, the transports carrying the French troops from Belgium must traverse those 3 sea spaces still occupied by the British naval units in order to get to St. Petersburg.  So the British player will get 3 die rolls for each unit (see p. 29).  Assuming only a single British squadron is in each of those intervening sea spaces, the British player will need to roll a “1” on any of those 3 dice to destroy each French land unit trying to make the trip.  Odds are that only 58% of the French units will arrive, although good or bad luck can change the actual result.

The point of this system is that, to make a successful amphibious movement, you must control the sea lane between where your troops are and where you want them to go.  In the case above, the French have the power to make the landing, but they haven’t done a very good job of clearing the path.  You can see that shorter amphibious moves are much easier to complete, unless you have dominant see power.

• Customizer

Q.

although if the British intercept the French naval squadrons, I would guess that the amphibious move could not be completed.

OK, got it.  I take this to mean that if only one British squadron intercepts five French squadrons, the French cannot do the landing?

A.

If the British successfully intercept the French naval squadrons, the French squadrons must remain in the space in which the interception occurs.  On the other hand, an amphibious invasion may be attempted in any space adjacent to a player’s naval squadrons.  So the interception does not necessarily preclude any amphibious move.

In the example we’ve been discussing …

Let’s assume the British fail to intercept the French in the Bay of Biscay, but decide to try to intercpet again (with only the 1 available squadron) in the North Sea. The Brit rolls a “5” and gleefully says to the French player, “Ha!  You cannot move further!”

“Fine” says the French player.  “Since you intercepted my fleet, we now have a naval combat.  I have 5 squadrons to your 1.”  The following die roll results in the British player losing his naval squadron.

Now, the French player says “Ok, I’m invading England from Belgium.”  As there are no British squadrons in the intervening (North Sea) space, this move occurs without any risk of loss at sea.

So you see, a successful interception doesn’t necessarily prevent amphibious movement.  But it does (in most cases) prevent the originally intended move, unless that player has other squadrons that can be moved to the original landing site.

• Customizer

Q.

Interesting …

That certainly opens up some possibilities!  So I am not bound by my original movement declarations.

Is that also the case on land?  For example, if I want to force march a man but it fails, can I keep trying with different units until I finally get a man there?

A.

I couldn’t find anything in the manual specifically related to the timing of Forced March die rolls.

I’m not sure about your “not bound by my original declarations” conclusion.  In the fleet cases we’ve been discussing, it was the action of another player that prevented the completion of the move as planned.  But naval squadron movement is separate from transports/amphibious movement;  a player is not required to state why he/she is moving fleets - it is only where a fleet ends its move that then allows for amphibious movement - if desired.  As fleets are moved (and intercepted) a player can then decide what other moves to make after seeing earlier results.  In short, there’s nothing in the game about pre-planning and/or announcing every move you are going to try before you start moving your units.

As an Advanced Rule (Forced March), I guess that Glenn just figured that players would make thier own decisions about how to play it.  This was a basic design philosophy decision on Glenn’s part, and one that he has most certainly changed as he gained more experience in the field.

If I were writing a rule to cover this situation, it might read something like the following:

Step 1:  Forced March movement occurs after a player has completed regular movement for all pieces.
    Step 2:  Player designates a specific target space (into which he is trying to move one or more units) and then identifies all the units that will attempt to make a forced march into that space.
    Step 3:  Player rolls for each unit attempting the forced march and applies the result.
    Step 4:  Repeat Steps 2 & 3 for any other target spaces desired.

• Customizer

Q.

Advanced Command and Control - a player with this innovation cannot move/attack some of his artillery/infantry on his cavalry phase and move/attack the rest of his artillery/infantry on the normal phases - correct?

What would happen if the player with the innovation lost his third leader halfway through attacking with his infantry on his cavalry phase?  Is he no longer allowed to complete the infantry moves on the cavalry phase?  And if he is no longer allowed to do that, will he be able to move the remaining infantry during the normal infantry phase (seeing as how this contradicts my above assumption)?

A.

Correct!  The pieces have the option of performing their entire action during an earlier phase, but not splitting.

The loss of a leader issue is not addressed on the card.  I would say that the card applies for the entire phase, provided the conditions are met at the beginning of the phase.

• Customizer

And these are the FAQs:

DIPLOMATIC
    Q1. What happens to victorious troops when a war ends?

A: They must, on their next move, vacate any region(s) which they are now not allowed to occupy. If they are not granted “right of passage”, additional combat could occur as they move to allowed regions. As with other combat associated with “right of passage”, war does not result.

Q2. What happens if you are forced to sue for peace but don’t have 2 PAP?

A: You owe them (to the “bank”) and must repay them when you next receive/purchase PAP. (You are not forced to purchase PAP.)

Q3. If a player-nation’s controlled ally is forced to sue for peace, is the player-nation affected?

A: He loses control of (and alliance with) the non-player nation.

Q4. If a non-player major nation is forced to sue for peace, what happens to its troops?

A: They are immediately returned to their capital region. (Russian troops may return to either/both spaces, chosen by the player last in control of Russia.) Some players have referred to this repositioning as “teleportation”, but it simply reflects the fact that, as a non-player nation, no person is actively controlling this nation any longer. The troops move home swiftly, aided by plain folk, and a longing for home.

Q5. Can a non-player major nation get Production Points when it is not controlled?

A: Yes. After a non-player major nation is “activated” by being controlled by a player for the first time, it receives PP’s every three turns along with all the player-nations. If it is uncontrolled, the points are saved and spent immediately by the next controlling nation when it becomes controlled again.

Q6. What happens when, following a Peace Congress, troops of the victor (or loser) are deep in the other’s nation, but fail to secure a “Right of Passage”? Are these troops marooned? How do they get home?

A: Troops of players must move home. Failure to secure the necessary passage rights simply means that if, on their way out, these units enter a space occupied by the other player, a battle will ensue. But war does not result, as the Powers realize that this sort of thing is bound to happen following a war. Players should treat such cases as if a “Right of Passage” was agreed to at the conference table by the diplomats, but then voided by the government. The troops should move out as quickly as possible, as described on p. 36.

• Customizer

Q7. Does a non-player major nation ever receive Political Action Points?

A: No. However, if the player nation has at least one unit in a major battle, it can claim the PAP earned from a victory.

Q8. How is a non-player major nation handled with regard to war, peace, and alliances while it is being controlled by a player-nation?

A: While a non-player major nation is being controlled by a player nation, it generally has the same diplomatic status as its controlling nation. So, if France (a player-nation) controls Spain (a non-player nation), is at war with Britain and allied with Austria, then Spain is at war with Britain and allied with Austria. If the controller (player) nation is defeated, the controlled nation(s) remains under control and at war (if any).

Q9. Continuing the previous question, how does a non-player nation become uncontrolled?

A: There are only two (2) ways a non-player nation can become uncontrolled: (1) if another player makes a successful Diplomatic Overture, or (2) if the non-player nation is defeated in a war (Sues for Peace).

Q10. Continuing the previous question, how can a non-player nation, once at war, end this war?

A: One way would be for the non-player nation to lose or win the war by force of arms. Another way would be for the controller (player) to Sue for Peace or conclude an Armistice on behalf of the non-player nation. Example: France (player) controls Spain (non-player). England and France are at war, which means that Spain is also at war with England. (See FAQ #8.) If France loses the war, Spain remains under France’s control and at war with England. Spain could win or lose this war, either of which would end the war. Or the French (controlling) player, on behalf of Spain, could Sue for Peace. Finally, the French player could, on behalf of Spain, request an Armistice from England which, if granted, would also end the war. Note that if France (player) decides to Sue for Peace on behalf of Spain, Spain will then be uncontrolled following the Peace Congress.

Q11. England and France are at war. Now France declares war on Russia (or vice versa). Does that make England and Russia allies?

A: No! Declarations of war and alliances are two separate game concepts. Declarations of war always cost political action points separate from any alliance issues.

• Customizer

Q12. France is at war with England and Russia. France sues for peace and so cannot be attacked by either of these nations for 12 months. Three months later, France attacks Russia. Is England still prohibited from declaring war on France?

A: No. France’s defeat offers her a 12-month “grace period”. If she decides to declare war on any of her previous adversaries, that “grace period” is ended immediately.

Q13. Can you spend ½ PAP to liberate 1 region?

A: No.

Q14. Does a victor at a Peace Congress need to have troops in a space that it wishes to acquire (annex) during the Congress?

A: No.

Q15. Do you roll for commitment each turn you occupy an enemy’s capital?

A: Yes.

Q16. Can a player declare war on an ally without first breaking the alliance?

A: Certainly not! It requires great amounts of political will (as represented by the political action points) to first break with, and then declare war on, an ally.

Q17. The rules state that Political Action Points may be spent “at any time”. Could you please clarify?

A: “At any time” should be taken to mean “generally”, as in whenever a player wishes to spend them provided that it does not interrupt an on-going action. Thus, Player A may not interrupt another Player B while Player B is in the process of actually moving an army or naval squadron. Player A must wait for Player A to complete that move, at which time he/she could take some political action. As another example, Political Action Points (PAP) cannot be spent during a tactical battle. PAP could be spent prior to the battle, perhaps even eliminating the need for a battle, but not during.

• Customizer

Q18. Allied players (nations) can take their turns either normally or when it is their ally’s turn. How does this ability affect other issues, such as commitment rolls for surrender?

A: Actually, a player (nation) always takes his/her turn in the same order, regardless of alliances. What is allowed is for that player to move (and battle) during an ally’s turn. Thus, commitment rolls are unaffected by when this player decides to move. Example: France and Spain are allies. France decides to move on the Spanish turn, during which it takes the Austrian capital. Austria must roll immediately to check national commitment. If Austria survives this roll, the next possible commitment check for occupying the capital would be the next Spanish turn. Whether France chooses to move on her own turn or during the Spanish turn is irrelevant.

Q19. When does a player (nation) need to decide when to move? Say Russia has an alliance with Britain and Austria.

A: Britain’s turn comes first among the three allies mentioned. At this time, Britain must decide when she will move: now, on the Russian turn, or on the Austrian turn. That decision is final. Russia and Austria simply must decide whether to move now or wait. Assume both decide to wait. When it becomes Russia’s turn, he/she must now decide whether to move now or on Austria’s turn. Note that the decision regarding when to move becomes mandatory when that player’s (nation) normal turn in the order arrives. Once having made this decision, it cannot later be changed, even if the alliance is dissolved prior to that nation’s move. Example: Britain and Austria are allies. Britain decides to move during the Austrian turn. During the Prussian turn, the alliance between Britain and Austria is dissolved. Britain still moves during the Austrian turn in the order. Since Britain’s turn precedes Austria’s, Britain should – in the circumstances outlined – complete all her moves before Austria begins.

Q20. What happens when a region is occupied by two armies from different, non-allied nations, both of which are at war with the nation moving troops into this region?

A: The attacker must fight both armies in a single battle.

Q21. Austria grants “right of passage” to France. When French troops reach Galicia, Russia wants to move its troops into that region as well. Who must give permission?

A: Assuming that all three nations are at peace, only Austria. If France and Russia are at war, Russia needs no permission to attack the French troops there.

• Customizer

Q22. What happens when an army attacks a region containing two or more allied forces, but is not at war with all of them?

A: The owner of the allied force(s) that is not at war with the attacker has the option of: 1) Declaring war on the attacker for free (no PAP cost) and participating in the battle; or 2) Staying out of the battle. If the attacker wins the battle, they must retreat with their ally.

Q23. Could you provide some helpful examples regarding “Rights of Passage”?

A: Rights of passage are granted either by a nation, with respect to its territories, or by an occupying army, with respect to the space it occupies. Note that an army that has itself been granted “Rights of Passage” does not have any rights to grant. Example 1: Austria, Russia, and France are neutral towards each other. France asks for, and receives, a Right of Passage from Austria to move through Austrian territory. While in Austrian territory, the French troops have no “rights” to grant regarding other armies that may also wish to move through Austria. Example 2: Austria and France are at war; Russia is neutral to both. French troops occupy a space in Austria. If Russian troops wish to move into or throgh this space, both Austria (as owner) and France (as beligerent occupier) would need to grant Russia a Right of Passage. Example 3: Austria and France are allies. France needs no Rights of Passage from Austria, as allies always have mutual Right of Passage. Example 4: British troops occupy a minor neutral. Any nation at war with Britain could attack this space. Any nation neutral to Britain would need to ask Britain for a Right of Passage through the neutral nation space. (In other words, minor neutral nations – while neutral – automatically grant a Right of Passage to non-beligerent troops.)

TACTICAL BATTLES

Q24. Does a single defending cavalry unit prohibit all pursuit?

A: No. All — and only — attacking cavalry may pursue. They must destroy any remaining defending cavalry before selecting other targets.

Q25. Can Leaders rally foreign troops?

A: Yes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m