• We’re currently playing a game of Alpha +1 (when it came out we started, we’re on round 25+ now… kinda retarded long imho.), and was wondering how Italy is supposed to keep the USA and UK out of the Med.?  Germany was gunning for Russia so it never went to sea, and Japan had India/Anzac/USA fleets to deal with.  How in the world can you keep the Med. to yourself as Italy??  :cry:

• Take and  hold Gibralter is probably the best you can hope to do without assistance from Germany.  And then try to close the Canal at Egypt by holding that and you’ve locked the Allies out of the Med.

That is, of course, assuming you still have a fleet to take and hold it in the first place.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It is not reasonable to expect that after 25 rounds Italy is going to hold the allies out of the Med, when the United States can land there in a single turn from thier capital.

That said, if you HAVE kept the Allies out of the med this long, without a capitulated London, good for you and congratulations.  That’s pretty incredible game play.

• '10

@Dark_Destroyer:

We’re currently playing a game of Alpha +1 (when it came out we started, we’re on round 25+ now… kinda retarded long imho.), and was wondering how Italy is supposed to keep the USA and UK out of the Med.?  Germany was gunning for Russia so it never went to sea, and Japan had India/Anzac/USA fleets to deal with.  How in the world can you keep the Med. to yourself as Italy??   :cry:

Are you playing this game for total victory or for the victory cities? We play all our face to face games for total victory and have never had a game last near that long. It is usually obvious long before round 25 who has the upper hand and the game is ended. No sense playing to the bitter end. Learn from your mistakes and start a new game. The other posters here are correct when they say you must keep the allies out of the Med. You must find ways to control Gibraltar. If the axis does not control Africa then Italy will not have enough income to be any benefit to the axis. Play more games and experiment with different ways to protect the Med. Dont waste time with long games that are decided early on. The early turns are the critical ones.

• '10

@Idi:

How long does it take to play 25 rounds? Do you have a job or a girlfriend?

Well, since the release of A+1, sounds like.  How long has that been?  Couple months?

• We play every other Saturday for 4-5 hours, don’t really see how that is so hardcore not to have a life Idi Amin.  :roll:

We’re currently playing for victory cities.  Germany started the game off being defensive, and turn 2’d into Russia.  Russia’s holed up in Moscow, Japan took out Anzac/Hawaii but got kicked out of China (china has somewhere around 70+ units now).  Japan is making as much as USA, hence the long game.  But South Italy fell Turn 25, but the Axis still have options with a dead Anzac and crippled Russia.  Germany still has units to defend, Japan has surrounded Moscow with Infantry train from tokyo on the North Russia.

I think the game lasted this long because of the bombing runs… double IPC to repair with Alpha+1… waaayyy too much.  Italy has held Egypt since turn 3 though, but lost the Med.

• Im not experienced and I’m an upcoming Italian player on the forums (im to new to play anyone bigger). How did you do that? You must tell me some strategies. Also Gargantuan ur going down! (that is if Bruce posts G1!)

• There is NO way to keep US out of the med if they want to be there.  Italy cannont win against UK and US in the med.  Once Torch happens and Uk still holds Egypt its all over for Italy.

• No really? Its pretty obvious once US is in the game and UK holds Eygpt the Axis are screwed unless Germany pulled off a sussesful Barbarossa

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gargantua:

It is not reasonable to expect that after 25 rounds Italy is going to hold the allies out of the Med, when the United States can land there in a single turn from thier capital.

That said, if you HAVE kept the Allies out of the med this long, without a capitulated London, good for you and congratulations.  That’s pretty incredible game play.

That statement is a bit misleading since Italy too can get to Gibraltar in one move from it’s capitol.  I believe, what you were saying is, it is almost impossible to hold Gibraltar if America really wants it since America can dedicate 60+ IPC to the attack and Italy only 30+.

However, one does not have to keep the Allies out of the Med, if Russia falls!  Italian tanks are just as good at taking Moscow as German ones.

• I just played US in Global +2 this weekend and took Italy on Turn 7.  Italy tried to stop me by building 2 waves of subs at me.  First wave was 7 subs, Germany hit me with 2 fighters, 2 tacs, 1 SB, in between Italy’s second wave of 5.  I withstood all that and took Rome a turn later.  This was w/o a UK fleet in the med, though they did ad 2 DD in the battle and some RAF. I can only imagine the destruction that would face Italy if Uk had fleet in Egypt.  IMHO, Italy is the “soft underbelly” of the Axis - as historically it was.  If played right, though there are alot of variables, Italy should be taken out everygame.

Their was one interesting variable.  Japan was in the Med as well (1 DD, 1 SS, 1 TR), not that it did much!

Oh the joy of Patton in Italy.

If America is gunning for Italy that bad, shouldnt Japan be in Los Angeles?

• lol excellent. Jen dont get any ideas. Or tell them to Emperor….

@Pvt.Ryan:

lol excellent. Jen dont get any ideas. Or tell them to Emperor….

Me?  Ideas?  Madam Baroness of the Unusual Tactic?  Never!

Madam Baroness of the unusual tactics that usually FAIL miserably. :P

@Gargantua:

Madam Baroness of the unusual tactics that usually FAIL miserably. :P

Usually work AWESOME the first time I use them.  The trick is not to attempt to use them again for a long time so people start to forget to look out for them.

\ S /
                                                                                              ~~~~~
    Hey guys, look at that steaming pile of BULL–---->        ~~~~~~
                                                                                          -––—––

Be careul not to step in that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m