• good - we have a doubt with the issue of carrier Let me explain: I sent two U.S. aircraft carrier battle moving charged with two battleships and 2 transport to Gibraltar (no naval combat as I have no boats) the problem is that both the fighters now want to move to attack Gibraltar and I can not move them believe that because the movements made with the carrier (did 3 from the American coast) in this case would be left with 1 movement of aircraft would use to move to Gibraltar without then to use eye movement back to the carrier. the question is whether the carrier moves such as 3 combat space motion supporting an amphibious assault (by leaving port) can then launch the ship’s aircraft attacking the territory by the normal movements that are supposed to have the plane (4 ) or otherwise would be left with a single movement of the aircraft making it impossible to use them and then another movement that would need to land it

• @bladewar:

the question is whether the carrier moves such as 3 combat space motion supporting an amphibious assault (by leaving port) can then launch the ship’s aircraft attacking the territory by the normal movements that are supposed to have the plane (4 ) or otherwise would be left with a single movement of the aircraft making it impossible to use them and then another movement that would need to land it

I think fighters (or Tactic Bombers) have movenment factor of 4, and that’s independent of the Carrier’s movenment. So I would say that no, you can not use them to attack Gibraltar. The only exception is when airplanes take over from an Air Base (+1 movenment), but since that’s not the case you’re describing, I say that you can’t have an extra movement (the Carrier had it because she started her movement in a Naval Base, but those afect only ships)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

the two movements are INDEPENDANT of each other.

so NO you can’t hit Gibraltar with the planes in your example.

• '10

Think of it as “the planes take off from the carrier at the start of combat movement”.  Calc range from there.

• @eudemonist:

Think of it as “the planes take off from the carrier at the start of combat movement”.  Calc range from there.

Or think of it as-

Planes are effectively always in the air- They are flying CAP.  They need to remain above a space that allows them to land, but the unit represents a wing of aircraft that is constantly in flight rotation.  That’s why they’re in the air when a sub attacks, that’s why they move independently of carriers, and thats why they have limited fuel (only one move left) when their carrier is sunk from under them in defense.

The only exception to CAP is friendly planes as cargo, but that also makes “some” sense. As they cannot be be tasked during the offensive combat operations they need to be off the flight deck and out of the darn way during combat operations to make room for combat takeoff and landings.

• '10

Well, yeah, that works too, I suppose…kinda long to write on the back of my hand, though.

• @eudemonist:

Well, yeah, that works too, I suppose…kinda long to write on the back of my hand, though.

well, to write on the back of your hand -

Planes are ALWAYS in the air (unless they’re friendly cargo).

If you work in concepts of “take off” and “landing” you just get confusion about how the aircraft are defending (ineffectually) with a carrier in a battle against a just subs.  How would they know to take off?

Simply:  They were already in the air.  They’re always in the air.  Unless they’re friendly cargo.

Or best, just ignore the concepts of “take off”, “landing”, “in the air” and think:

If you can move any unit (if it’s not yours, you can’t move it: it’s cargo), it moves independently and uses its own movement points.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m