• '10

In our game of Alpha+2 started yesterday I decided to try a little different strategy for the axis. On G1 I sank the cruiser in zone 91 with 2 subs. I killed the U.K. fighter by taking Normandy. On the non combat move I placed the two German fighters in southern Italy. Now for the new placement I parked nurmerous German planes in northern Italy. This made it obvious that no U.K. ships would survive if left in zones 95 and 97 on G2. The U.K. player pulled out of the Med. on U.K.1. I decided that saving the Italian navy was more important than trying to sink U.K. ships in the Atlantic with planes on G1. So I used all the German planes in the battles of France and Normandy. This kept the casualties low and I kept all my planes. I took southern France on G2 and aquired a free minor IC on the Med. coast. You can see the current situation in the photo after three complete rounds.
    IMAG0010.JPG

• Very fascinating strategy…except now sealion is extremely risky. Maybe the german and italian navy should attack any incoming US navy. If airplanes were stationed in Gibralter as well, they could fend off any incoming americans. If you manage to sink a couple transports it would be an amazing tradeoff. Maybe even convoy sack US. On the other hand, you could also try attacking Turkey to gain access to the Baltic Sea and invade Russia. A 2 pronged attack, with germany attacking northern Russia, and Italy attacking southern Russia would be devastating. This opens up so many possibilities!

• '10

@Swift7:

Very fascinating strategy…except now sealion is extremely risky. Maybe the german and italian navy should attack any incoming US navy. If airplanes were stationed in Gibralter as well, they could fend off any incoming americans. If you manage to sink a couple transports it would be an amazing tradeoff. Maybe even convoy sack US. On the other hand, you could also try attacking Turkey to gain access to the Baltic Sea and invade Russia. A 2 pronged attack, with germany attacking northern Russia, and Italy attacking southern Russia would be devastating. This opens up so many possibilities!

I have never been interested in Sea Lion as it takes away assets needed for Barbarossa. I have always maintained that taking Russia is the key to winning for the axis. Of course you must remember that our group always plays for total victory never for victory cities. With the U.S. huge income it is more difficult for the axis to win this way. A more realistic game however.

• What happens when the HUGE US fleet joins the UK fleet? Better buy a bunker……With the ratio # of transports to capitol ships on the board your group must be mostly ROOKs.

• Interesting strategy- but it depends too much on a UK player not willing to lose a Med. navy for my taste.  However- that picture leads to 2 questions-

1. Why on earth would you launch a German CV in the Med?  By your own description, the allies abandoned it… there is no need for a mobile air platform other then the Italians now.  With the CV berthed off S. France, she is totally out of position for any move on the UK/French fleet.  She would be much better positioned in the Baltic I think.  (you have enough airpower already to cover the Med)

2. Why leave Malta active?  It can become a big thorn in the Axis’s side if it gets a airforce on it… plus it can be a good 2nd line of defense if the US forces its way to Gibraltar.

• '10

@ll:

Interesting strategy- but it depends too much on a UK player not willing to lose a Med. navy for my taste.  However- that picture leads to 2 questions-

1. Why on earth would you launch a German CV in the Med?  By your own description, the allies abandoned it… there is no need for a mobile air platform other then the Italians now.  With the CV berthed off S. France, she is totally out of position for any move on the UK/French fleet.  She would be much better positioned in the Baltic I think.  (you have enough airpower already to cover the Med)

2. Why leave Malta active?  It can become a big thorn in the Axis’s side if it gets a airforce on it… plus it can be a good 2nd line of defense if the US forces its way to Gibraltar. The carrier is an offensive weapon and it is my intention to challenge the U.S. navy with German navy, Luftwaffe and the Italian navy.

1- Not seen in the photo is the U.S. staging base in Brazil. Looks like an invasion of Africa or possible attempt to liberate Gibraltar. Axis must hold Africa and Gibraltar.                                2-Malta was not as high on the priority list as Gibraltar. Italy will probably take it on I5.

• '10

@Idi:

What happens when the HUGE US fleet joins the UK fleet? Better buy a bunker……With the ratio # of transports to capitol ships on the board your group must be mostly ROOKs.

Sorry Idi, but I do not understand your statement about ratio # of transports. Whose transports are you referring to? Unseen in the photo is the U.S. navy with a large group of transports that are staging off Brazil. See new photo below.

IMAG0008.JPG

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Again with the TANKS!

Why does america have so many TANKS sitting around?!?!?!

• and how on earth did France get 3inf to TransJ?

• Looking at what the US has built off Brazil- I’d just sortie the Italian fleet out, smash the few DDs and get back- you would lose maybe a sub… and cause the US to keep starting over from scratch.

• '10

@Gargantua:

Again with the TANKS!

Why does america have so many TANKS sitting around?!?!?!

Well Gar, as I am not inside the head of the allied player I really cannot answer that question. But as long as the U.S. builds lands units I am happy to have the time to do my thing as the axis without him interfering in the Atlantic or the Pacific.

• '10

@M7574:

and how on earth did France get 3inf to TransJ?

Good question. Jeremy at FMG made the suggestion at HOUSE RULES  to place one French infantry each round in any France controlled territory. We just thought we would try it out to see what bearing it would have on the game.

• '10

@ll:

Looking at what the US has built off Brazil- I’d just sortie the Italian fleet out, smash the few DDs and get back- you would lose maybe a sub… and cause the US to keep starting over from scratch.

Duce, remember der valls have ears. Der Fuhrer vould never approve of giving avay der military secrets.

• OMG….Is this the USA players’ first game ever? Where is the monster USA navy that is going to land all those tanks? Hell, I don’t even see an American ACC. The Pacific fleet must be huge?!?

• '10

@Idi:

OMG….Is this the USA players’ first game ever? Where is the monster USA navy that is going to land all those tanks? Hell, I don’t even see a an American ACC. The Pacific fleet must be huge?!?

Idi, you may or may not be aware that we have been playing our games of AAG1940 with an adjusted income schedule House rule) for the U.S. which gives them the same amount of IPCs but they do not receive them as quickly. We also play for total victory not for VCs. This current game, finished today, was won by the axis as the allies surrendered after the sixth round. The U.S. player tried to conduct a two ocean war which did not work with the reduced income on the early rounds. After several games using this income schedule for the U.S. we have decided to abandon it.

IMAG0013.JPG

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Well when you are buying TANKS instead of SHIPS whilst attempting to fight a 2 OCEAN war, on a restricted income schedule, some questions need to be asked

Just FYI,

It wasn’t the income schedule that was the problem.

• '10

@Gargantua:

Well when you are buying TANKS instead of SHIPS whilst attempting to fight a 2 OCEAN war, on a restricted income schedule, some questions need to be asked

Just FYI,

It wasn’t the income schedule that was the problem.

Tanks,tanks its always about the tanks! Gar, do you know what the income schedule is that I refer to? Have you seen it? You are correct about the early buys for the U.S. I always start the U.S. out to gain superiority over the oceans but I guess some do not. Some like to try a different stratigem that may not work. That is how they learn. My friend playing the U.S. today just made a mistake. No big deal. He will play better the next time.

• @Fishmoto37:

@Idi:

What happens when the HUGE US fleet joins the UK fleet? Better buy a bunker……With the ratio # of transports to capitol ships on the board your group must be mostly ROOKs.

Sorry Idi, but I do not understand your statement about ratio # of transports. Whose transports are you referring to? Unseen in the photo is the U.S. navy with a large group of transports that are staging off Brazil. See new photo below.

Did the Germans sink the UK fleet on G1?

• '10

@Idi:

@Fishmoto37:

@Idi:

That is a negative. Only the CA in zone 91 was sunk on G1. By the way, the allies surrendered after six rounds in this game.

IMAG0012.JPG

• @Fishmoto37:

@Idi:

@Fishmoto37:

@Idi:

That is a negative. Only the CA in zone 91 was sunk on G1. By the way, the allies surrendered after six rounds in this game.

The Germans didn’t sink the UK fleet and they still won? WOW you and your players must really be all total newbs. Seeing a staging area off Brazil is one of the funnier notions I have seen on this sight. I especially like the USA players’ tank column parade up and down the East coast….very effective for American morale!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m