• Hi people,
    I’m relatively new to this forum but I wouild appreciate some advice.

My brother in law and I are going to start painting the A&A figures.
    I’ve got a case of old Humbrol Enamel Paints but I have a sneeky feeling they may not be appropriate for this job.

So what do I need to get in the way of undercoat (can you get spray ones, do i need clear), what bramnd of paint, are acylic any good).

Thanks very much John :-D

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

When I painted the second edition pieces, I painted directly on the plastic with model paint.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Good timing, I’m painting up my stuff right now.

My advice is to go acrylic and use a primer. Tamiya makes a primer which comes in a spray paint can and it’s good stuff. Wash your pieces first, let them dry really well, prime, paint and clear coat (again, use Tamiya). I suggest getting an airbrush; I use it for my plastic pieces and the 1/285 micro armour I use with A and A. Once you get good with the airbrush, you’ll never look back.

If you get really crazy you can buy some decal paper for the printer from the local hoppy shop (or whereever), search tactical markings online, cut and paste the images to a word file and print yourself some decals. Make sure you clear coat the decal sheet after printing and let it dry real well before you start cutting, dampening and applying your markings. Decals look really good on aircraft and as flags on naval vessels.

Hope this helped.

• How much does all of the material to start painting cost?  And how hard is it to paint them as well as I’ve seen on here.  Is it possible your pieces end up hideous? haha

• @brettstarr4:

How much does all of the material to start painting cost?  And how hard is it to paint them as well as I’ve seen on here.  Is it possible your pieces end up hideous? haha

personally I spent somewhere around… 200-250 USD on colors, sprays and brushes. But U can get it much cheaper though, I think.
    And oh yes, the may end up looking like horse crap :) But practice makes perfect :)

• I am thinking about painting my pieces now too.  Does anyone have a list of what the piece are modeled after?  Like, the US tank is a Bradley, right?  If I find pictures of the real thing online I can paint my pieces more accurately.  Thanks

• @brettstarr4:

I am thinking about painting my pieces now too.  Does anyone have a list of what the piece are modeled after?  Like, the US tank is a Bradley, right?  If I find pictures of the real thing online I can paint my pieces more accurately.  Thanks

The last two pages of the Europe 1940 rule book has an identification chart for all the pieces.

And you can also consult this thread:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21158.0

• Thanks, thats a great thread, that’s what I’m looking for, I didn’t see a list in the back of my instruction manual.

• You’re welcome.  Note that, over the years, the identification which has appeared in the various A&A rulebooks has changed for some of the pieces, even when the sculpts themselves have remained identical.  For instance (if i remember correctly) the British bomber was incorrectly identified as a Lancaster in the early A&A games.  One point to watch for in the Global 1940 rulebook is the Russian fighter, which is listed as being a MiG.  In the earlier games it was identified as a Yak.  I checked a reference book I have on WWII aircraft, and based on the position of the canopy on the sculpt it actually does look more like a Yak, so I think the new MiG designation is wrong.

• @steiner73:

Hi people,
    I’m relatively new to this forum but I wouild appreciate some advice.

My brother in law and I are going to start painting the A&A figures.
    I’ve got a case of old Humbrol Enamel Paints but I have a sneeky feeling they may not be appropriate for this job.

So what do I need to get in the way of undercoat (can you get spray ones, do i need clear), what bramnd of paint, are acylic any good).

Thanks very much John :-D

Painted or Unpainted units all die the same way. Just think of all the gaming experience you would benefit from if…… You used the hundreds of hours it takes paint each one of those tiny pieces to try implementing and practicing a winning strategy.

• '10

@Idi:

Painted or Unpainted units all die the same way. Just think of all the gaming experience you would benefit from if…… You used the hundreds of hours it takes paint each one of those tiny pieces to try implementing and practicing a winning strategy.

Nope ! Units that you spent time painting are actually more resistant. When you throw dices to defend them or to attack with them, dices tend to get better results than with unpainted OOB units.  It is due to the special energy you impregnate your units with while painting them (love ?).   This has been proved scientifically.    :-D

• @Axisplaya:

@Idi:

Nope ! Units that you spent time painting are actually more resistant. When you throw dices to defend them or to attack with them, dices tend to get better results than with unpainted OOB units.  It is due to the special energy you impregnate your units with while painting them (love ?).   This has been proved scientifically.

This reminds me of a conversation in the movie Ice Station Zebra:

David Jones: Ah, then you haven’t been on the ice before either.

Capt. Leslie Anders: No, Sir. A bullet goes just as fast up here as it does down there.

David Jones: Not quite. An insignificant difference, perhaps, but I think you’ll find the operational characteristics of the M-16 indicate that a bullet will decelerate as much as 40 feet per second per second faster in these climate conditions. It’s denser air, you know.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Painted and custom pieces, in my opinion, help bring the game to life.

Additionally, I must admit that it does seem that my little type VII  GHQ Uboats bring the ruckus to the battle board.  :-D

• Thanks for the advice fellas.

I’ve ordered 3 sets of vallejo paint, an array of brushes and a tin of primer…so when they arrive I can begin.
    Might be tempted to try out the decal printing paper. :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m