• I find really annoying that Stalingrad is named Volgogrod in the game. Volgogrod was the pre-revolutionary name of the city, and the way is named again now, in the post-soviet era. But the game takes place during the WWII, the city was named Stalingrad back then. The famous battle may very well not even happened the way it did if the city didn’t carried Stalin’s name: as we all know the battle for Stalingrad degenerated into a big ego struggle between Hitler willing to take Stalin’s city and Stalin daring him to take it, and Zhukov taking advantage of all that.

Same goes for Novogrod/Leningrad

• Novgorod is even worst because sounds too medieval  :-P (Novgorod was a city that lost to Moscow the race for being the most powerful city in Russia), and also it confuses the abreviate with Novosibirsk. In old AAE, the 3 main soviet cities where named right, I wonder why this time was not so … at least it should be ‘Volga’ or so … Volgograd is horrible  :lol:

• The territory could have been called ‘Don Basin’ or ‘Lower Volga Region’ or something like that.

• '10

As long as the VC of “Stalingrad” is on the map.  I am happy with it.

• @13thguardsriflediv:

The territory could have been called ‘Don Basin’ or ‘Lower Volga Region’ or something like that.

I’m sure it could have been called Hoboken too…  but it wasn’t.

@mantlefan:

Since this game does not meet your standards I’ll offer you $20 for your copy.

That sounds like a fair price, but the shipping/handling I’m sure will be the deal breaker for you…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I have to agree.

It should be Leningrad and Stalingrad.  Not to mention, before it was Leningrad it was Saint Petersburg, not Novgorod.  Novgorod is some pissant little town on M10 between Saint Petersburg and Moscow.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m