Are Yugolsavia, and Greece even worth invading?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

They are both worth 2 IPC’s,

They have respectively 5 and 4 inf defending them,  so 9 inf total.

Assume you attack with a just greater than equal force,  statisticaly you will lose 3 infantry,  For sake of arguement, lets say the battle will last longer then 2 rounds and you lose 5 inf total to take both territories.

5 inf = 15 IPC’s

You collect + 4,  so G1 Yugo, G2 Greece, lets say,

so, G1+2  G2+4 G3+4 G4+4 = 14

So it’s G5 before you even see a return on investment of 3 IPC’s  and a subsequent + 4 Ipc’s for the rest of the game after that,  an extra mechanized infantry everyturn if you will.  That’s assuming you don’t lose the territories, which if you do by that time, you are doomed anyways.

Do most games last that long?  And would you be better served, by using those same infantry, who are now WAY out of position - (3 turns out if you go to greece :S),  on the Eastern front instead?  Now you are killing Russians instead of Neutrals,  and each territory you take is double its value, as it’s a + for you and a - for your opponent.

My thinking, is that you saved the pro-allied Neutrals for Italy to deal with, as they are along the way to the east, and ONLY if Italy has ground units sitting around, with ABSOLUTELY nothing better to do.  Otherwise, ignore these chipshot territories, they are a fat waste of resources plugging up the map.

• I suppose you want to invade them before Allied troops can land there and get those neutrals as instant reinforcements.

Apart from that, i don’t really know if it is worth it for Axis. If you want to help Italy, as Germany you can soften them up and let the italians take it (this of course can backfire in different ways)

• Gargantua, I think it’s important to take them out as early as you can. I wouldn’t want the UK to get troops there and get the inf listed for free (Greece is pretty easy for them to access). I also like to build a minor IC in Yugo to drop German ships (subs mostly) in the Med for when the US comes over.

• '10

@Gargantua:

They are both worth 2 IPC’s,

They have respectively 5 and 4 inf defending them,  so 9 inf total.

Assume you attack with a just greater than equal force,  statisticaly you will lose 3 infantry,  For sake of arguement, lets say the battle will last longer then 2 rounds and you lose 5 inf total to take both territories.

5 inf = 15 IPC’s

You collect + 4,  so G1 Yugo, G2 Greece, lets say,

so, G1+2  G2+4 G3+4 G4+4 = 14

So it’s G5 before you even see a return on investment of 3 IPC’s  and a subsequent + 4 Ipc’s for the rest of the game after that,  an extra mechanized infantry everyturn if you will.  That’s assuming you don’t lose the territories, which if you do by that time, you are doomed anyways.

Do most games last that long?  And would you be better served, by using those same infantry, who are now WAY out of position - (3 turns out if you go to greece :S),  on the Eastern front instead?  Now you are killing Russians instead of Neutrals,  and each territory you take is double its value, as it’s a + for you and a - for your opponent.

My thinking, is that you saved the pro-allied Neutrals for Italy to deal with, as they are along the way to the east, and ONLY if Italy has ground units sitting around, with ABSOLUTELY nothing better to do.  Otherwise, ignore these chipshot territories, they are a fat waste of resources plugging up the map.

Germany needs to attack Yugoslavia with enough units to end combat in one round. Probably average two to three caualties at the most. Germany may need Yugoslavia for access to the Med. in case Italy needs help. Also there is an NO in Egypt for Germany. Save Greece for Italy to take.

• Well I played my first game last night and the Brits took Greece on their first turn. I took it back but I had to kill 6 infantry (2 that landed off transport+ 4 from Greece). So I would say for Greece, yes, that should probably be occupied, plus Italy gets a bonus from it so it helps everyone out, axis at least….

• @maverick_76:

Well I played my first game last night and the Brits took Greece on their first turn. I took it back but I had to kill 6 infantry (2 that landed off transport+ 4 from Greece). So I would say for Greece, yes, that should probably be occupied, plus Italy gets a bonus from it so it helps everyone out, axis at least….

Or is it better to leave Greece and let the Brits have it? It’s easier for Germany to steamroll any British troops on the continent than it is for Italy to kill them in Egypt.

• '10

@McMan:

@maverick_76:

Well I played my first game last night and the Brits took Greece on their first turn. I took it back but I had to kill 6 infantry (2 that landed off transport+ 4 from Greece). So I would say for Greece, yes, that should probably be occupied, plus Italy gets a bonus from it so it helps everyone out, axis at least….

Or is it better to leave Greece and let the Brits have it? It’s easier for Germany to steamroll any British troops on the continent than it is for Italy to kill them in Egypt.

In our game last monday Germany took Yugoslavia on G1 with one casualty. Italy took Egypt round 2. Germany left Greece for Italy. Germany built a minor IC in Yugoslavia round 4 then placed a transport there round 5 and two infantry round 6. When our game resumes next monday Germany will have the Egypt bonus round 7.

• Yugo can be attacked by 9 inf,art, 3 tanks.

Greece can be attacked by whatever remains in Yugo and the 5 Bulgarian inf

1st round in Yugo gets 3.5 hits. 2nd round will be overkill. Thus, the defenders will get 5+1.5=6.5 infantry shots, killing 2.17 German inf. Greece is attacked with 11.83 inf, art, 3 tanks, getting 4 hits on the 1st round, leaving an additional 4 inf to fire back. 6.5+4=10, so that’s 3.3 inf that Germany loses, costing 10 ipcs. It only takes 3 turns to make up the difference and helps Italy get its +5 NO.

• @McMan:

@maverick_76:

Yeah I think my friend made a bit of mistake by taking troops from Africa and landing them in Europe. It just made Italy’s job easier to take Africa.

• We had a game on Thursday where Yugo was ignored until the Russians blitzed into it and suddenly had a sizeable stack of troops in the heart of German territory. I think that both are worth invading right off the bat if Germany isn’t doing a very early attack on Russia.

• '10

@McMan:

We had a game on Thursday where Yugo was ignored until the Russians blitzed into it and suddenly had a sizeable stack of troops in the heart of German territory. I think that both are worth invading right off the bat if Germany isn’t doing a very early attack on Russia.

If the Soviets are in Yugoslavia then game over! Axis defeated.

• I usually invade them because my Russian attacks arent till G3ish.

On a side note I LOVE Russian tanks and mech prematurely attaking towards the ‘weak undefended’ Balkins. I believe any attack with fewer than ten Russians is typically to German advantage. New units from Berlin and that beautiful new major ic can kill them with air support on their way to the front.

• '10

@MarkVIIIMarc:

I usually invade them because my Russian attacks arent till G3ish.

On a side note I LOVE Russian tanks and mech prematurely attaking towards the ‘weak undefended’ Balkins. I believe any attack with fewer than ten Russians is typically to German advantage. New units from Berlin and that beautiful new major ic can kill them with air support on their way to the front.

Are you saying the Soviets are attacking Germany before turn four?

• @Fishmoto37:

@MarkVIIIMarc:

I usually invade them because my Russian attacks arent till G3ish.

Are you saying the Soviets are attacking Germany before turn four?

I think he means that he usually does G3 Barbarossas

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m