A Russian Navy? Keep the threat on Berlin?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

With the Air-Base in Novogord and the new scramble rules…  is a Russian Navy now feasable?

Think about it…  even if you only built 1 carrier, 1 transport and a few fighters, over the first few turns.

is that a credible threat to Berlin? or perhaps enough to draw off a considerable German stack of land and airpower?  It certainly gives Russia mobility over the entire quadrant. Forcing Germany to defend ALL of her territories, and not just the ones on the front line. and if Germany goes sea-lion, it just gives your navy THAT many more options.

Alternatively, if you built it way up north, would that be handy? perhaps as a liberating, or combat naval element, in the battle for britain?

Thoughts anyone? experiences?  if you clear out the baltic, you could also use the odd sub to really F*ck with the german economy.  Hitler can ill afford to buy destroyers lol.

• @Gargantua:

Is that a credible threat to Berlin? or perhaps enough to draw off a considerable German stack of land and airpower?  It certainly gives Russia mobility over the entire quadrant.

In my opinion? Not at all. It’ll stop some transport landings on Leningrad, but I don’t see it actually doing anything useful for Russia. You could get a ton of infantry for the cost of a navy and it’ll do you a lot more good.

• If Germany gets involved in some weird prolonged sealion perhaps……

Yes, the German navy will be in the Atlantic. There will be only twenty three German inf plus some stragglers in Greater Germany the round after Sealion.  Russian navy pulls the Germans back from defending England, oerhaps cists them the chance to retake it from a divided America.

Interesting. The situation would have to be right though.

• Sorry not a chance. Land invasion is the way to go. It MIGHT work once with someone not expecting it.

• '10

Can the Russian Navy move out of the Baltic?  They are Neutral with Germany so should have access to the Straight?

They can be in the North Sea by the Second turn, and are more use defending the Northern Convoy routes or Helping Britain… rather than waiting to be bombed by German Planes during the Barbarossa assault.

Thoughts?

• @FieldMarshalGames:

Can the Russian Navy move out of the Baltic?  They are Neutral with Germany so should have access to the Straight?

They can be in the North Sea by the Second turn, and are more use defending the Northern Convoy routes or Helping Britain… rather than waiting to be bombed by German Planes during the Barbarossa assault.

Thoughts?

They can only exit the Baltic with German permission

• '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

Thoughts?

Yes, always move the Soviet navy out of the Baltic to give them at least a chance.

• @Fishmoto37:

@FieldMarshalGames:

Thoughts?

Yes, always move the Soviet navy out of the Baltic to give them at least a chance.

Assuming Germany is kind enough to let them.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@FieldMarshalGames:

Thoughts?

Where did you get this from? Germany cannot stop a neutral from moving through the Denmark straight unless they declare war against that neutral.

• @Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@FieldMarshalGames:

Thoughts?

Where did you get this from? Germany cannot stop a neutral from moving through the Denmark straight unless they declare war against that neutral.

Nope. E40 rulebook, page 8, under “Canals and Narrow Straits”:
    "If a canal or narrow strait is controlled by a power not on your side, but with which you are not at war, you must ask permission to use it, which may be denied.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@FieldMarshalGames:

Thoughts?

Nope. E40 rulebook, page 8, under “Canals and Narrow Straits”:
    "If a canal or narrow strait is controlled by a power not on your side, but with which you are not at war, you must ask permission to use it, which may be denied.

I checked this out in the rule book and it seems a little vague to me. As I recall prior to Barbarossa the Germs and Reds were in bed together. They had a non aggression treaty and had split Poland. How do we know the Reds were not on the Germs side at this time period?

• The rules take priority over history.

• '10

I think a German denial of Access to a Neutral would be an act of war.  IMHO

• @FieldMarshalGames:

Not really.

If you really want to do this, the only way is to have the UK take Denmark, but Germany would probably retake it before Russia could get through.

• '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

Absolutly. And how do you determine who is on what side before war is declared. Is the U.S.S.R. classified as a pro-allied neutral before war is declared? Some are declared as pro-allied and some pro-axis by the setup. But I think the Ruskies are called a neutral. Page 9 of the rule book. The book also mentions the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact which was historical. It assures that the Soviet Union will remain neutral should Germany go to war. It also permits each power to expand its sphere of influence in Eastern Europe WITHOUT INTERFERENCE from the other. Again from page 9 of the rule book.

• @Fishmoto37:

@FieldMarshalGames:

Absolutly. And how do you determine who is on what side before war is declared. Is the U.S.S.R. classified as a pro-allied neutral before war is declared? Some are declared as pro-allied and some pro-axis by the setup. But I think the Ruskies are called a neutral. Page 9 of the rule book. The book also mentions the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact which was historical. It assures that the Soviet Union will remain neutral should Germany go to war. It also permits each power to expand its sphere of influence in Eastern Europe WITHOUT INTERFERENCE from the other. Again from page 9 of the rule book.

None of that matters; Krieghund has stated what I said multiple times.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Fishmoto37:

@FieldMarshalGames:

None of that matters; Krieghund has stated what I said multiple times.

Sorry, I have missed seeing Kriegs post on this issue.

• Even without Krieg’s post, the rulebook makes it clear. The Germans and the Russians did NOT have an alliance for the purposes of this game(otherwise, they’d be able to move into each other’s territory); for this game, it was merely a trade agreement, shown by the German NO.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Look at replies 161 and 162 here:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19919.150

Thanks for looking that up. Now at least I know the official way to play this Danish straight thing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m