• I haven’t had an opportunity to play with the new Alpha Plus setup.  For those who have played it, does the 6 victory city rule for Japan make it too easy for an Axis victory?

I personally like the rule because it makes the US play aggresive in the Pacific.  But with the US having minor ICs until it is at war, it seems like Japan can win before the US can put enough boats in the water.

• Give it a try. The US can run extra souls to Honolulu every round and the Aussies can set a picket to protect Sidney. Some bombers in the Central US can be used in either theater.

My friends always soak up the extra 10ipc for doing nothing with Japan as many rounds as possible giving the Allies time to prepare.

• There’s nothing the US can buy that can stop the Japs from taking Hawaii turn 3 if they move their starting fleet to Midway J2.  Can’t be blocked, and no amount of US purchases can save it or really even put you in a position to take it back US3 since you can only deploy 3 units per turn directly into the Pacific until at war.

• @chompers:

There’s nothing the US can buy that can stop the Japs from taking Hawaii turn 3 if they move their starting fleet to Midway J2.  Can’t be blocked, and no amount of US purchases can save it or really even put you in a position to take it back US3 since you can only deploy 3 units per turn directly into the Pacific until at war.

I wouldn’t say nothing. 2 carriers and a battleship turn one. 2 battleships and a bomber turn 2.

Japan starting fleet has 49 pips on attack, 20 hits. US group at Hawaii has 47 pips, 19 hits. Hits taken on Japanese carriers can’t catch planes regardless if they win, US planes can have three carriers blown out from under them as early casualties. Point US. US counterstrike is 2 battleships, 3 bombers should anything be left.

• I think 6 victory cities is too easy.  In the game I played yesterday I was allies and I captured Berlin and had reduced Italy to a 6 point country and was going to capture it completely within two turns most, UK defeated them soundly in Africa.  Yet  I was going to lose Hawaii that turn and thus lose my 6th victory city in Pacific.  I split points with US in both sides of the map.  I built over 30 destroyers in the Pacific to help hold off Japan but it would not have been enough.

If the victory conditions remain 6 victory cities in the Pacific I believe most people will find out that the US will have to spend close to 100% of its points in the Pacfic to stop Japan from getting 6 cities.  The problem is if they do that they will lose on the European side of the map.

I think Larry Harris is doing a great job with making adjustments to the game but I think the allies need some boasting up somewhere now.

• @Kobu:

@chompers:

There’s nothing the US can buy that can stop the Japs from taking Hawaii turn 3 if they move their starting fleet to Midway J2.  Can’t be blocked, and no amount of US purchases can save it or really even put you in a position to take it back US3 since you can only deploy 3 units per turn directly into the Pacific until at war.

I wouldn’t say nothing. 2 carriers and a battleship turn one. 2 battleships and a bomber turn 2.

Japan starting fleet has 49 pips on attack, 20 hits. US group at Hawaii has 47 pips, 19 hits. Hits taken on Japanese carriers can’t catch planes regardless if they win, US planes can have three carriers blown out from under them as early casualties. Point US. US counterstrike is 2 battleships, 3 bombers should anything be left.

Sure. Meanwhile, Germany takes London and rejoices in the fact that the US won’t be liberating it any time soon.

• @Frank:

I think 6 victory cities is too easy.  In the game I played yesterday I was allies and I captured Berlin and had reduced Italy to a 6 point country and was going to capture it completely within two turns most, UK defeated them soundly in Africa.  Yet  I was going to lose Hawaii that turn and thus lose my 6th victory city in Pacific.  I split points with US in both sides of the map.  I built over 30 destroyers in the Pacific to help hold off Japan but it would not have been enough.

If the victory conditions remain 6 victory cities in the Pacific I believe most people will find out that the US will have to spend close to 100% of its points in the Pacfic to stop Japan from getting 6 cities.  The problem is if they do that they will lose on the European side of the map.

I think Larry Harris is doing a great job with making adjustments to the game but I think the allies need some boasting up somewhere now.

I should add the two Japanese bombers in there. They can land in the Marshall Islands. That makes it about even for mutual destruction.

• @Kobu:

@Frank:

I think 6 victory cities is too easy.  In the game I played yesterday I was allies and I captured Berlin and had reduced Italy to a 6 point country and was going to capture it completely within two turns most, UK defeated them soundly in Africa.  Yet  I was going to lose Hawaii that turn and thus lose my 6th victory city in Pacific.  I split points with US in both sides of the map.  I built over 30 destroyers in the Pacific to help hold off Japan but it would not have been enough.

If the victory conditions remain 6 victory cities in the Pacific I believe most people will find out that the US will have to spend close to 100% of its points in the Pacfic to stop Japan from getting 6 cities.  The problem is if they do that they will lose on the European side of the map.

I should add the two Japanese bombers in there. They can land in the Marshall Islands. That makes it about even for mutual destruction.

Sure. That means Japan successfully invades Hawaii and then loses control of Z26, but the US can’t retake Hawaii since it has only 1 transport(2 if you bring over the one from Europe).

• I have not looked at the setup with the new changes and its’ effects on the Pacific Victory City requirements for the Japanese. But requiring 7 VP’s is just too much to ask of the Axis. They would have to take Hawaii, Australia, and hold the rest of Asia at the same time.

Every time I have seen the Japanese navy go to Hawaii, they usually took it and not much else. But they spent a lot of assets to hold it. Meanwhile the Chinese and the British in India gave them hell on the mainland.

I like splitting the Victory Conditions for the two maps in the Global game. If the Japanese cannot be stopped, then tweak the set up. Don’t adjust the number of VP’s or the other alpha plus changes. They seem pretty good to me.

• See the thing is in WW2 the USA was able to fight in both E and P at the same time. And do so well.

• @RedHunter:

See the thing is in WW2 the USA was able to fight in both E and P at the same time. And do so well.

In WW2, US had 150+ ipcs.

• The point is Japan shouldn’t be able to win the game before the USA can get going on a war footing. And if played correctly and they get good dice rolls they can.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Kobu:

@chompers:

There’s nothing the US can buy that can stop the Japs from taking Hawaii turn 3 if they move their starting fleet to Midway J2.  Can’t be blocked, and no amount of US purchases can save it or really even put you in a position to take it back US3 since you can only deploy 3 units per turn directly into the Pacific until at war.

Sure. Meanwhile, Germany takes London and rejoices in the fact that the US won’t be liberating it any time soon.

with alpha eurep setup i find it very unlikely germany can take England
    and even so, they get killed by russians should they succeed.

• How about instead of building a huge fleet you build a bunch of transports and infantry in W. US for the first two turns and turn hawaii into a fortress with like 10-15 infantry and station your begining fleet off of hawaii, For Japan to be able to take Hawaii with all of those infantry would require huge transport fleets that are impractical for a limited budget such as Japan, and still allow it to take Sydney and Calcutta. Also after turn 3 you can send the transports back to E. US for the european invasion fleet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m