• Hey all.

I’ve played several AAr games with friends over the past couple of years but never finished one. The other night, one of my friends decided he’s be find with donating table space for a while to keep a game going. So last night we started the game. 2 players had play original before, and 2 had little to no experience. So after 4 hours, we only made it through R2. I’m the only one with experience with this board, but I did not want to be the guy who ordered his team around and suck all the fun.

So basically, I think we’ve (Allies) have made a few mistakes, and I was wondering if you all could give me some suggestions to pass on.
    Russia: Friends Wife w/ no experience
    UK: Friend w/ limited experience
    US: Me (my least favorite)

Here are some picture links (sry for resolution I only had my phone)

Entire board: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/Dashdar/55b49164.jpg
    Ger + Rus: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/Dashdar/92291191.jpg
    JPN: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/Dashdar/beb2fc0c.jpg
    US: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/Dashdar/d35cf1eb.jpg

Our overall strategy is KGF.    UK dropped an IC in South Africa and Ind on UK1, JPN1 saw the IND IC being taken over. But I think UK is going to send 1 INF and 2 FTR to retake it on UK2 but I’m unsure how long that will hole because Russia had to spend R2 retaking CAU after loosing it on G1.

I went for Heavy Bombers on my turn and bought 1 Bomber, 1 Transport, 1 ARM, and 1 INF. Germany has left WEU very under defended so I think that’s ripe for the attacking, but I’m not sure about the best way to go about it.

Suggestions? I’m mostly worried about the pressure Japan is putting on RUssia and UK/IND right now.

Thanks!

• Just some general suggestions to improve gameplay:

• The tech of Heavy Bombers as originally released is generally considered to be too powerful. You could consider using Larry Harris Tournament Rules (LH is the guy who designed the game) version 2.1 - there’s a sticky thread for LHTR on the Revised forum.
    • With 4 players you can split the countries with 2 players going for Axis, 2 for Allies, with an Allied player taking both the US/Russia. It might speed the game since the players with Germany and Japan now have more time to plan their moves instead of 1 player having to make all decisions for them.

Concerning strats for your game, well I’d focus more on having fun with your friends. Getting them interested in repeating the experience should be your nº1 goal. Then as they have more experience and games start speeding up you can focus more on game strategy :)

PS - I noticed from the photos that you have one of the earlier versions of Revised. You can consider getting A&A Spring 1942, you can get it really cheap on the US. It is basically Revised with upgraded rules and units. The map kinda sucks and there is no paper money,  marshalling cards, battle board but you can still use the ones provided with Revised. But the unit pieces are better and the upgraded rules really make the difference (you can also download the rules and use your Revised board but you’ll have to find a way to include the new cruiser unit).

• @Hobbes:

Just some general suggestions to improve gameplay:

• The tech of Heavy Bombers as originally released is generally considered to be too powerful. You could consider using Larry Harris Tournament Rules (LH is the guy who designed the game) version 2.1 - there’s a sticky thread for LHTR on the Revised forum.
    • With 4 players you can split the countries with 2 players going for Axis, 2 for Allies, with an Allied player taking both the US/Russia. It might speed the game since the players with Germany and Japan now have more time to plan their moves instead of 1 player having to make all decisions for them.

Concerning strats for your game, well I’d focus more on having fun with your friends. Getting them interested in repeating the experience should be your nº1 goal. Then as they have more experience and games start speeding up you can focus more on game strategy :)

Ah, thanks. I had no idea about version 2.1 I’ll check that out.

Yeah that’s why I’m not being the pushy player guy. We’ll all talk about strategy and countries to attack, but I let them decide how many and number of troops.

Do you think I should try to hit Germany in WEU or hit NOR and push down to help Russia?

• It depends, actually.  I have this version, but it came with the 1942 rules changes and the new pieces.  This was basically the 1942 game with the older (easier to see) map.  But IIRC, they only did this for the last couple of months before the “1942” version was released. If it is the latter revised/anniversary rules in a revised box edition, don’t bother - it’s nearly the exact same game.

The big difference is the new Europe/Pacific version because they link into one giant map.  Entirely new territories, rules, and so on.  It’s worth spending the money on, as is the older “Europe” version, IMO - I find it quicker and far trickier to play.  The older “Pacific” just doesn’t do much for me.

• Look to build a DDay fleet with US/Uk and then force Germnay to hold France before attacking SU allowing the Su to build up an attack from the east. Once SU comes into battle US should focus on retaking india nad attack some mainland asian territories

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m