If America has 5 transports in Gibraltar the Germans should

• move 10 infantry towards Rome!  With any luck you have two turns to get them there.

Yes it weakens you on the Eastern Front.  Just fall back a space and you will more than recover battle strength vs the Russians as their new units suddenly have to be faster and move further to attack you.

Remember the US is apparently going all out in Europe.  All you need to do with Germany is delay until unopposed Japan kills or neuters the Minor Allies in South Asia and takes the pressure off you.

• This means you have to bomb it with an Italian Bomber.  If Germany Bombs it (or Japan for that matter) the U.K. can repair it before the U.S.A. goes.  So the italians need to invest in a bomber or two.

• It’s a consideration no?  So it would have to get bombed again, by who?  U.S.A. goes in and does it’s damage.  Besides this is all theoretical and if we want to look at all of the options I thought I would mention it.  Also wasn’t bombing the Port your idea in the first place?

I am just saying the U.k. COULD repair it.  Who knows what will actually happen in a game.

So you think too, before you type.  You kind of came off like someone who is a bit full of themselves.  I do like you Port bombing idea though and I will be building an Italian bomber to put it into effect.  Because let’s face it, the Med is Italy’s and Germans have bigger fish to fry.

• @SalothSar:

@MarkVIIIMarc:

move 10 infantry towards Rome!  With any luck you have two turns to get them there.

Yes it weakens you on the Eastern Front.  Just fall back a space and you will more than recover battle strength vs the Russians as their new units suddenly have to be faster and move further to attack you.

Remember the US is apparently going all out in Europe.  All you need to do with Germany is delay until unopposed Japan kills or neuters the Minor Allies in South Asia and takes the pressure off you.

Bomb Gibraltar’s port to stop USA from using it.

If i remember correctly, you have to do more than 3 damage. if not, UK doesn’t have to repair anything.

• @SalothSar:

@Daedelus:

This means you have to bomb it with an Italian Bomber.  If Germany Bombs it (or Japan for that matter) the U.K. can repair it before the U.S.A. goes.  So the italians need to invest in a bomber or two.

Like the UK would repair it just to be bombed again. Less men in the UK means Sealion goes smoother. Think before you type Daedelus.

Less maximum 1 INF, boohoo.

edit: UK will repair it no sooner than turn 5, when USA has arrived at Gibraltar and only if USA is going to want to cross that strait.*
    So bomb all you want from turn 1 (and face the instant AA), it doesn’t matter too much. After turn 5 all Sealion matters should be settled.

1 exception though, IF UK falls to Sealion, and somewone bimbs Gibraltar, there is nobody to repair it.

• i’m abit in “Europe” mode, i’m assuming USA is getting kept out of the war as long as possible.

• I think it was covered that the U.S.A could take it over if Britain falls.  Or is it only if they recapture it from An Axis Power that they can control/repair the port?

• @Daedelus:

I think it was covered that the U.S.A could take it over if Britain falls.  Or is it only if they recapture it from An Axis Power that they can control/repair the port?

Only when they recapture it (and UK has fallen)

• @SalothSar:

@special:

@SalothSar:

@Daedelus:

This means you have to bomb it with an Italian Bomber.  If Germany Bombs it (or Japan for that matter) the U.K. can repair it before the U.S.A. goes.  So the italians need to invest in a bomber or two.

Like the UK would repair it just to be bombed again. Less men in the UK means Sealion goes smoother. Think before you type Daedelus.

Less maximum 1 INF, boohoo.

edit: UK will repair it no sooner than turn 5, when USA has arrived at Gibraltar and only if USA is going to want to cross that strait.*
    So bomb all you want from turn 1 (and face the instant AA), it doesn’t matter too much. After turn 5 all Sealion matters should be settled.

1 exception though, IF UK falls to Sealion, and somewone bimbs Gibraltar, there is nobody to repair it.

• i’m abit in “Europe” mode, i’m assuming USA is getting kept out of the war as long as possible.

Do you mean G3?

You refer to the “Sealion matters”?

If so, i assumed, if UK can withstand a G3 attack, it will still leave them pretty weak, so it can still fall the next turn (or the turn after that).

Point was, i think, that the NB doesn’t need repairing until the moment it will be used (and if italy has no bomber within reach, repairing until 3 damage left is enough (if i remember correctly, harbors still work with 3 or less damage, which i think is not a good rule, but ok, i’m drifting away), …which is (maximum) the cost of 1 INF. If that 1 INF less in UK makes the difference in losing London, well… so be it ;)

I do see 1 reason to repair it all the time, and that is when you really hope to shoot down some bombers  :-D

• @SalothSar:

The UK isn’t around after turn 3

Your UK maybe not.

• @SalothSar:

@special:

@SalothSar:

The UK isn’t around after turn 3

Your UK maybe not.

Yours too or are you saying you can stop Sealion?

Not every time.

• Darnit.  I figured out the odds before for this sealion stuff.  Where is that post……

UK Round 1 and 2 place about 54 IPC worth or units conservatively…18 inf.

They start with what, 3 fighters, a tac bomber off that carrier, 1 Brit Inf, 1 French inf, an inf and tank from Canada?

18+1+1+1=21inf x 2 =42
    3 x 4 for fighters = 12
    Tac = 3
    Tank = 3
    =60 pips or so worth of defense?

Germany lands what? 10 transports worth of fellas
    10 inf = 10
    10 tanks = 30
    What usually lives through round one…2 fighters = 6
    3 tacs = 12
    1 bomber =4

So G3 you get 60 or so worth of attack + an offshore shot or two best case.  Devalue that if you needed to bring artillery because their supporting feature makes them less valuable than tanks the second round of combat if the infantry are killed.

Still though in either attack the Brits should get about 10 kills the 1st round eliminating the poor attacking infantry so artillery is of limited value…Germany gets 10 or 11 kills the 1st round and killing units that defend at 2 makes them stronger

Leaves 11 Brit Infantry
    1 tank
    3 fighters
    1 tac

for 31 pips

vs 10 tanks (if you can build them)
    2 fighters = 6
    3 tacs = 12
    1 bomber =4

for 52 pips

So with attrition Germany probably wins.  Less so for every artillery that gets subbed for a tank.

Regardless, here come the Russians!

• Don’t forget to take AA-hits in account (i know this is extremely hard to do, but abit succes in AA-gunfire can already be quite an influence for the Sealion attack, especially when a bomber gets it)

And yes, true about the tanks (but they are expensive)

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

Leaves 11 Brit Infantry
    1 tank
    3 fighters
    1 tac

for 31 pips

small correction: 22+3+12+3= 40

• Lol, only a small difference. Every once in awhile i wonder why a battle doesnt go right for me!  Darned figuring this stuff out while at work

• The Germans must get past the British fleet before they can conduct Sealion, people.

Before you rant at me and call me retarded by saying the Brits have no fleet, consider this:

It’s because you never built one.

• @cts17:

The Germans must get past the British fleet before they can conduct Sealion, people.

Before you rant at me and call me retarded by saying the Brits have no fleet, consider this:

It’s because you never built one.

If they build one, Germans go around the island and land in UK from Z109. Since you bought a fleet, there is little opposition on the island

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m