• I am an avid fan of Axis and Allies, and I love historical board games especially about World War II.  I was just looking at the new board and noticed that on the new Box cover there is no Union Jack! There are the flags of France (lasted less than a year) Italy (minor compared to UK) and all other nations - yet no Britain - the country that saved the world, lasted over a year by herself as a major power against Germany and fought countless battles against the Axis on her own! What i don’t understand is this missing flag - I am highly disappointed and saddened by this fact!  Furthermore, what i don’t understand is that on the cover also there are 4 generals (2 American, 1 Russian, and 1 German) Surely there should be a British general! Montgomery or even Churchill (despite him not being a general).  Why this shocking lack of British representation - i could only find one Spitfire amongst all the other pictures.  As an American citizen living in Britain i love both Britain and America - but the Box needs to show Britain prominently.  If it had not been for Britain the world would be speaking German.  America had not even entered in 1940, but was helping…Britain.  Also The game is Europe 1940! America had not even entered yet - as the Soviets had yet to do, yet who was fighting…BRITAIN! This has made me angry at a game I have loved to play.

• Welcome to the forum.
    Yeah, I too was disappointed at the lack of British representation. They defiantly deserved a leader and flag on there. Also France was generously represented with soldiers, an aircraft, tank and even De gaulle walking with some cronies.

• i agree 100%. whats with the 4 British flags on the Pacific box cover?

• One is the British Flag, one is the Australian, and another is the New Zealand flag - i can’t see a fourth on the box, though

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@British14th:

One is the British Flag, one is the Australian, and another is the New Zealand flag - i can’t see a fourth on the box, though

I think the 4h is the British flag is for India. (small in middle left)

The French flag, units etc are so prominent on the Europe Box because France is unique to this edition. WOTC is concerned about advertising, not fair and balanced aesthetics. When people see the Axis and Allies Europe box in the store, thy will be supprised to see the French flag there, it’s a hook. Same with the NZ and Australia flags on the Pacific box. Everyone knows the UK will be involved, thats a given.

That said, ther’s no reason that the union jack should have been completely absent. Take solace in the fact that there are 4 on the pacific box, put them side by side and take a deep breath. That’s how I got over it… Seriously.

• yeah, now I see the forth - representing India would be the logical guess.  Yeah, marketing etc. also explains the large amount of Americans, despite not entering the war in 1940.  It is despicable though that there’s NO representation. Though I sent a complaint through Larry Harris’ website and got this prompt reply:

"It’s a shocking, shameful mistake.  I don’t know how this happened and when I found out it was too late to make the needed corrections. I can only speculate that a file, perhaps containing all the British supporting graphics, was lost somewhere between the artist and the publisher.

I want you to know that I and the folks at Wizard’s of the Coast share your sentiments totally.

To have not represented Britain during this… their finest hour, on this game box about their finest hour, will be corrected – in the mean time I can only give you my deepest apologies and a promise of a future correction.  A correction that I can assure you will place the Union Jack and its iconic heroes in the center of that future graphic statement where they so belong.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, ‘This was their finest hour.’
    Winston Churchill - June 18, 1940

Larry Harris"

• i knew about the British flags i was just saying that they were over represented in Pac 40. But for once i would like to see the German Flag Prominent. I know that this will probably never happen but still, i would be cool.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m