• I have noticed now for awhile that many references to A&A units as two letters such as CC or BB….
    Can anyone list all the two letter id’s so that I can keep up with the posts better.
    AC

• DD-Destroyer
    CC/CA-Cruiser
    BB-Battleship
    CV, AC-Aircraft Carrier
    SS-Submarine
    Tr, AP-Transport

• Thanks cal….
    How about TT?  transport as well?

• @Axis:

Thanks cal….

Yeah. People do that to maintain consistency of using double letters

• Interesting… wonder where all these comes from? Maybe naval terminology… I was Air Force :-D

• @Axis:

Interesting… wonder where all these comes from? Maybe navl terminology… I was Air Force :-D

BB, CV, SS, DD, AP, and CA are naval terminology. I use CC instead of CA for consistency and Tr since it is the first 2 letters and I don’t confuse it with territory, which is also abbreviated tt

• Okay… now we are getting some where… more confusion… just kidding
    Thanks Cal…
    Now I can keep up! :lol:
    AC

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

FORGET anything you have read above in this post.

2 letter abbrevations for gameplay via the internet are all GARBAGE.  Use 3 letters for abbreviations, and use letters that actually can be found in the description.

Battleship - BAT
    Destroyer - DST
    fighter - FGT

etc etc etc

Otherwise use WB for Infantry and Z1 for tanks. Because that makes as much sense as CA and CV. - What an completely retarded system.

If you absolutely insist on 2 letter abbrevation, USE LETTERS THAT MAKE SENSE.  BA, DS, AC, CR, TR, SB, etc.  This way anyone can understand WTF you are talking about at anytime.

• The ones I cited are used so frequently that most understand what they mean anyway.

BTW, CA and CV make more sense since they are actual Navy designations

• I believe CV stands for Carrier Vessel, and all U.S. carriers have a CV before their ship number.

Well last I checked this wasn’t a navy Forum.  -  It’s a forum for a game called Axis and Allies.

I didn’t sign up here to be a puddle pirate.  I came to have fun playing Axis and Allies.  And in Axis and Allies we call them Aircraft Carriers, not Carrier Vessels.  And there are not 2 B’s in Battleship.  And Where I come from Transport starts with a T.

Get over it and leave your archaic abbreviation systems that are SELDOM used behind. (just try me, and read peoples Battlemap games, - not to mention MUCH more games are played via triple A now)

Some may understand the 2 letter system, but ALL understand the 3 letter system.  A simple choice to agree with considering communication and understanding are key points for players learning and improving their game by studying others.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Gargantua:

Well last I checked this wasn’t a navy Forum.  -  It’s a forum for a game called Axis and Allies.

I didn’t sign up here to be a puddle pirate.  I came to have fun playing Axis and Allies.  And in Axis and Allies we call them Aircraft Carriers, not Carrier Vessels.  And there are not 2 B’s in Battleship.  And Where I come from Transport starts with a T.

Get over it and leave your archaic abbreviation systems that are SELDOM used behind. (just try me, and read peoples Battlemap games, - not to mention MUCH more games are played via triple A now)

Some may understand the 2 letter system, but ALL understand the 3 letter system.  A simple choice to agree with considering communication and understanding are key points for players learning and improving their game by studying others.

2 letters is easier than 3. And like Calvin said, it is proper naval terminology… a lot of people know this stuff anyway and those who don’t know will figure it out. I have never seen anyone in these forums use anything but the BB, CA, CV… terminology. It works. You might as well drop your crusade. I am not going to change and I don’t care if other people do either. I don’t play TripleA or Battlemap type games… I play in person, the way the game is supposed to be played. I think this terminology works just fine here.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

BB, CV, SS, DD, AP, and CA are naval terminology.

This is only used by a few engineers at shipyards, and only in USA.

Since A&A covers all kind of military equipement from nations all over the world, and not just ships in USA, then I think we should use 3 letters abbrivations, like:
    Inf = infantry, Art = artillery, Mec = mechanized, Tnk = tanks, Ftr = fighter, Tac = tacticals, Bmb = bomber,
    Sub = submarine, Dst = destroyer, Trn = tranny, Cru = cruiser, Car = carrier and Bat = battleship

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

We do use 3 letter abbreviations too. “Inf, Art, Ftr, Tnk/Tank, Mech, Tac… etc.” Just not for naval units… except for “sub and trans (tr)” which I think everone uses.

The naval ones work fine too. I don’t see the real issue. Yes, perhaps the US is the only one who uses them, but this is a US game after all. And what do we care, it isn’t like this is all official or something, this is a fan page. And, not that it matters much to us, I do believe the navy still uses these designations: CVN, SSN, CA, DD etc… And they certainly used them in the Second World War.

• @Razor:

@calvinhobbesliker:

BB, CV, SS, DD, AP, and CA are naval terminology.

This is only used by a few engineers at shipyards, and only in USA.

These are naming conventions used for actual hulls of ships… CV(N)-68 is the USS Nimitz while the Submarine I served on is the SS(N)-772.

So What you are saying is, that you use 3 letter abbreviations and 2 letter abbrevations, and basically have no set system or standard at all, and are just going with it.

And if you don’t play online, why do you care at all? why not just type out transport and submarine for what it matters.  The problems isn’t me not understanding the terminology it’s other players and users of the forum who don’t.

People start moving AP’s around the board and BB and CV’s and suddenly what they are actually typing is a totally different unit style, but they stick with the 2 letter abbreviations because they think CA is Carrier, and that their right.  It becomes a problem sometimes, especially when battles go south and suddenly it’s - well that was really my CV defending not my CA - even though the last 10 posts the CA was the carrier bla bla.

The Term ABBREVIATION also means to shorten a word with the letter it uses.  There is no V in Aircraft Carrier, or A in Cruiser, or 2nd B in battleship so on and so forth, and if you are ALREADY using 3 letter abbrevations for land units then WTF is the problem with standardizing the whole set?  That’s what we are looking for here…

A STANDARD - that EVERYONE understands, is CLEAR, and Easy to use, that applies equally and universally to all unit types.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Axis:

Thanks cal….

People use TT to mean “territory”.

• @BadSpeller:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Axis:

Thanks cal….

People use TT to mean “territory”.

Yes, which is why I use Tr for Transport

• @Axis:

Interesting… wonder where all these comes from? Maybe naval terminology… I was Air Force :-D

In ABattleMap (about 1-3 years ago it stopped working with the new versions) under View>List Units, it would provide a text list of where everything is.

Helpful for sending by email at the time it was invented.

Some used this list for various reasons.
    Many of the abbreviations came from that. 
    Many abbreviations have changed over the years.
    Many people don’t want to type as much, lazy, or other reasons.

• @Weezer:

I believe CV stands for Carrier Vessel, and all U.S. carriers have a CV before their ship number.

CV does NOT stand for Carrier Vessel.  There have been many discussions on this site as to why. I leave the reader to search out those answers, as it has come up about every 3 months, or so.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m