• I was just reviewing the rules on the attack phase and it states that “You may choose to roll less than the alloted dice if you wish by holding back certain units in the attack. Any units you hold back may not attack this turn.”

Question: When attacking, is there any tactical reason to roll less dice than the alloted amount? Since there is no counter attack, keeping units from attacking doesn’t seem to serve any useful purpose. Am I missing something?

thanks,

-Phil

• Sometimes you might want to hold dice back on a hex with trucks and/or supplies and only a couple of combat units as you increase the chance of destroying the trucks and supplies. Of course you increase the chance of missing the destruction or forcing the retreat of those combat units.

I go with scorched earth myself. Nothing worse than holding back dice, missing the combat units and blowing up the gas anyway. It is nice that the option is spelled out in the rules so that you have the option.

• @frimmel:

Sometimes you might want to hold dice back on a hex with trucks and/or supplies and only a couple of combat units as you increase the chance of destroying the trucks and supplies. Of course you increase the chance of missing the destruction or forcing the retreat of those combat units.

That makes a lot of sense and thanks for the quick response. I hadn’t thought about the fact that attacking with less units would lower the odds of hitting valuable supplies. This is something I’ll consider in future games.

Thanks again,

-Phil

• @PhilFromIT:

I was just reviewing the rules on the attack phase and it states that “You may choose to roll less than the alloted dice if you wish by holding back certain units in the attack. Any units you hold back may not attack this turn.”

Question: When attacking, is there any tactical reason to roll less dice than the alloted amount? Since there is no counter attack, keeping units from attacking doesn’t seem to serve any useful purpose. Am I missing something?

thanks,

-Phil

The main reason for this would probably be to keep from destroying the supplies on the hex tile.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m