Less obvious and surprising air unit routes: Post your catches here.

• This new map is great, routes that look impossible usually are not. Better yet sometimes you can “Open” up a new route and “Surprise” your enemy!

Take getting your UK air units to Russia. At first glance, I tried by sea, but thought I was out of range, and it is, as long as Finland is neutral. But taking sz 110-112-Norway-Finland-Karelia/Vyborg makes it possible once Germany or Russia takes Finland. [assumes Russia is holding either Karelia or Vyborg]

The allied fleet seems safe in sz 91 from 5 movement air units in France as it takes 3 to get there normally, except when you or Italy takes Spain, then the air can fly over Spain using just 2 movement. That hurt the first time I discovered that.

Attacking US sz 101 seems out of range of the German air force as it takes 4 movement to get there. However, you can take Gibraltar turn 2, land your planes on the Gibraltar air base turn 3; while sending a transport(s) to capture Quebec. Then attack turn 4 and build 2-3 carriers in sz 106[Quebec’s waters] to provide a landing site. [this requires some planning and UK not to protect Quebec; could work well with a small sub/starting navy at Gibraltar]

Post your surprise routes that you notice here.

• In my global game, I surprised the Italians by moving bombers from UK-Z110-Holland-West Germany-North Italy-Z97.

• I have noticed that Italy has to be careful of Cyprus and Malta landing sites. Italy has to watch London bases bombers coming to sack their fleet and land on one of those islands which are now safe from the lack of a navy to counter attack.

• I found you can base Bombers on the air base in Gilbraltar and then fly them 6 spaces to the coast of Japan units convoy raiding WUS in the PACIFIC and then use the last space of movement to land in San Fran.  I kept a destroyer waiting in central america to attack with the bombers in case I got convoy raided when I was spending all in the alantic.

• @Chompers#2:

I found you can base Bombers on the air base in Gilbraltar and then fly them 6 spaces to the coast of Japan units convoy raiding WUS in the PACIFIC and then use the last space of movement to land in San Fran.  I kept a destroyer waiting in central america to attack with the bombers in case I got convoy raided when I was spending all in the alantic.

ehh…

From Gibraltar to Japan and land in San Fan?

Either there’s a sentence missing or i want to buy your bombers!

edit: or did you mean fly from GIB to SZ10 where you can attack convoy-raiding japanese ships? If so: indeed you can :)

• THat is what I meant to say, I could have constructed my sentences better.

• Bombers can do the following:
    Move from San Francisco to London
    Move from New York to New Zealand

Most surprising air routes involve crossing the board from left to right or vice versa

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Most surprising air routes involve crossing the board from left to right or vice versa

Yes, unfortunately.  This is one reason I wish the Rightmost and Leftmost boards would line up.  So I could put them together at times.

Well, the fastest way through Europe from North to South is over West Germany and North Italy.
    And fighters/tacs from Yugoslavia can get to Normandy in 3 spaces (through North Italy and France)
    Also, there is just one sea zone between North Italy and Greece.

North Italy, Z110, and of course the infamous Java panhandle zone are all weird zones/areas, that are “jet streams” for your air, I think.  I’m sure there are more.  Been playing this game since it was released in mid-late August and still feel I’m just scratching the surface.  YAY!

• WUS to GIB via Mexico caught my eye.  A bomber will have enough movement to hit the adjacent sz

• @jeffdestroyer:

WUS to GIB via Mexico caught my eye.  A bomber will have enough movement to hit the adjacent sz

You can also use the fact that CUS borders Z101

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m