The revised (and unofficial) changes for Pacific 1940.

• Hey everyone, just to let you all know, Larry posted his latest proposed setup change for testing somewhere around a week ago.  From what I’ve played, it’s a huge improvement over the original Pacific 1940.  Even if you didn’t find the game unbalanced you’ll enjoy this new setup, and if you though it WAS unbalanced well… try not to mess your pants/skirt as the case may be.

Please feel free to play with the following set-up to help better a game that well all love (or we wouldn’t be on a website devoted to it),  :) by playing a game or two (Pacific 1940/Global 1940) with this new set up and then post a brief exempt about the game/your opinions having tried it at http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2386&start=640 .   I can only imagine that the more responces after testing that Larry gets, the sooner an “official” change can be made.

***note:  the changes to the national objectives apply to the Pacific game only, use the global national objectives as is for the global game.

Quote as per LH:

Scenario Alpha

I think the following setup is where I’d like to end up. If this is moving a bit too fast for some of you I apologize.

Below is the Scenario Alpha’s setup

I recommend you test this setup and give me some feed back. Let me know how you like it. What you don’t like about it. Barring any great balance issues or other unforeseen goodies, this will be the core of the new Pacific '40 recommended setup.

I call this setup “Scenario Alpha”.
    All the National Objectives and bonus incomes remain as they are in the present Pacific40 rule book, with the exception of the following two NOs:

Note: The UK will gain 5 IPCs for controlling Kwangtung and Malaya at the same time but only if at war.
    Note: The United States will collect 5 IPCs per round for controlling the Philippines but only if at war.

China
    Szechwan 5 Infantry and one fighter
    Hunan 2 Infantry
    Yunnan 4 Infantry
    Kweichow 2 Infantry
    Shensi 1 Infantry
    Suiyuyan 2 Infantry

ANZAC
    Malaya 1 Infantry
    New South Wales - 1 Infantry, 1 Minor IC, 1 Naval Base.
    New Zealand - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base.
    Queensland - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base.
    Sea Zone 62 -1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 63 – 1 Cruiser

United Kingdom (India)
    Sea Zone 37 - 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 39 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    Kwangtung - 2 Infantry, 1 Naval Base
    Burma - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Malaya - 3 Infantry, 1 Naval Base
    India - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AA Gun, 1 Fighter, 1 Tac Bomber, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC

United States
    Western US - 3 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Bomber, 1 AA Gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC
    Hawaiian Islands - 2 Infantry, 2 fighters, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base.
    Philippines - 2 Infantry, 1 fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base.
    Midway - 1 Airbase
    Wake Island - 1 Airbase
    Guam - 1 Airbase
    Sea Zone 26 - 1 Sub, 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 10 - Battleship, Cruiser, Transport, Carrier w/Tac & Ftr
    Sea Zone 35 - 1 Destroyer and 1 Transport

Japan
    Japan - 6 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Tank, 2 Fighters, 2 Tac Bombers, 1 Bomber, 1 AA Gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC
    Manchuria - 6 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AA Gun, 2 Fighters, 2 Tac Bombers, 1 Bomber
    Palau Island - 1 Infantry
    Kiangsi - 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Formosa - 1 Fighter
    Shantung - 2 Infantry
    Kwangsi - 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Iwo Jima - 1 Infantry
    Jehol - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Caroline Islands - 1 AA gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Infantry
    Siam - 2 Infantry
    Okinawa - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Kiangsu - 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 Tac Bomber.
    Korea - 3 Infantry
    Sea Zone 6 - 1 Sub, 2 Destroyers, 2 Carriers each with 2 Tac & 2 Ftrs., 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 Transport
    Sea Zone 19 - 1 Sub, 1 Battleship, 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 33 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier w/ 1 Tac & 1 Ftrs.
    Sea Zone 20 - 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport

• Thanks for reposting it here. Sifting through 80+ pages in that other thread to find the updates is a bit on the tedious side. ;)

• Official Q&A

If all that you’re interested in is keeping up with the latest changes (without the discussion), Larry keeps them in this thread.

• I have had a look, but can’t tell whether Larry thinks this would be good for a Global setup. Can anyone tell me what they think should be done with Global? Maybe nothing.

• Should be stickied so people don’t have to keep reposting it.

• Official Q&A

The goal is to have a single Pacific setup - for both Pacific and global.

• Then all you have to do is to place the 18 Russian units on the Pacific 1940 starting setup so the Japanese do not have totally free reign in China.

Try it.  It works.

I can assure you Japan keesp looking over it’s shoulder iin Pac1940 when there are 18 Russian inf above Manchuria.

That’s all that’s needed to correct any perceived inbalance.

And so it is the same setup for both the Global and Pac games!

• @Shakespeare:

Then all you have to do is to place the 18 Russian units on the Pacific 1940 starting setup so the Japanese do not have totally free reign in China.

Try it.  It works.

I can assure you Japan keesp looking over it’s shoulder iin Pac1940 when there are 18 Russian inf above Manchuria.

That’s all that’s needed to correct any perceived inbalance.

And so it is the same setup for both the Global and Pac games!

That just adds an unnecessary complication. Additionally, Japan can easily kill the 18 inf if it waits to declare war until J3, and it gets 9 more ipcs.

• And we don’t need another game without the non-agression pact  :-P

• '13

Is the definition of a garrison in Manchuria (one infantry) or must it maintain some combination more than that?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m