• Hi all.
    I really don’t like the way subs are treated in this game, maybe the following suggestion.

1 enemy sub in a sea zone can’t be attacked. More subs can be attacked if 1 remains it can dive.
    Only when it is on station (in an enemy convoi zone), than it can be attacked once a turn (bye each unit attacking it) and it can fight back once.
    If you miss it has dived and cant be attacked till the next turn.

In this way you really create a battle of the atlantic and the creation of hunter groups (a destroyer and a carrier for example) in the center of the ocean. So the allies have to stop resources in the battle of the atlantic just like reality.

What are your opinions?

• @Heinrich:

Hi all.
    I really don’t like the way subs are treated in this game, maybe the following suggestion.

1 enemy sub in a sea zone can’t be attacked. More subs can be attacked if 1 remains it can dive.
    Only when it is on station (in an enemy convoi zone), than it can be attacked once a turn (bye each unit attacking it) and it can fight back once.

In this way you really create a battle of the atlantic and the creation of hunter groups (a destroyer and a carrier for example) in the center of the ocean. So the allies have to stop resources in the battle of the atlantic just like reality.

What are your opinions?

Currently, you can’t kill subs unless you have a destroyer

• So, even if you have a fleet of cruisers and battleships you cannot kill a sub without a destroyer present?

• @munchie19:

So, even if you have a fleet of cruisers and battleships you cannot kill a sub without a destroyer present?

You can, but only if the subs decide to join the battle rather than submerge. A destroyer forces them into battle

• I’ve never liked the subs rules, they’re nearly invincible if you think about it. Unless you’re a huge fan of destroyers, which I am not.

Other subs should be able to detect enemy subs (makes sense, both subs would have sonar) fighters/bombers should be able to get one chance of destroying enemy subs (with the idea the subs are surfaced until attacked, when missed they submerge), if they miss the defending subs should retreat to one zone away.

Granted their stats aren’t that great but the fact that only destroyers can detect them makes it difficult to deal with them.

• @McLovin1985:

I’ve never liked the subs rules, they’re nearly invincible if you think about it. Unless you’re a huge fan of destroyers, which I am not.

Other subs should be able to detect enemy subs (makes sense, both subs would have sonar) fighters/bombers should be able to get one chance of destroying enemy subs (with the idea the subs are surfaced until attacked, when missed they submerge), if they miss the defending subs should retreat to one zone away.

Granted their stats aren’t that great but the fact that only destroyers can detect them makes it difficult to deal with them.

There has only been one case in history when a sub sank another sub.
    They don’t stay on the surface until attacked. They go to the surface only if they’ve been hit or they’re trying to attack something.

Subs are not invincible; they defend on a 1, so if you get a destroyer and some planes, you can easily kill a sub stack

• I have been confused about submarine rules too.  If I have 10 battleships but no destroyer and I encircle Japan which has 1 submarine, does that submarine kill my entire fleet because I dont have a destroyer or does it just sit there quietly unless the submarine wants to fight.

• @Real:

I have been confused about submarine rules too.  If I have 10 battleships but no destroyer and I encircle Japan which has 1 submarine, does that submarine kill my entire fleet because I dont have a destroyer or does it just sit there quietly unless the submarine wants to fight.

It sits until it wants to fight

• Customizer

@Real:

I have been confused about submarine rules too.  If I have 10 battleships but no destroyer and I encircle Japan which has 1 submarine, does that submarine kill my entire fleet because I dont have a destroyer or does it just sit there quietly unless the submarine wants to fight.

If you have 10 battleships attacking 1 sub, either that sub is going to submerge or get killed with possible damage to 1 battleship.  There is NO WAY all 10 battleships would miss.
    If the sub is attacking the fleet of 10 battleships, as soon as the sub takes a shot, hit or miss, it has to suffer the enemy counter attack and with 10 battleships, the sub is going down.

However, there is one thing I don’t like about the sub rules and that is a destroyer cancelling ALL it’s abilities, particularly the submerging ability.  I can understand a destroyer cancelling the surprise attack and being able to direct planes to attack the sub but it seems to me like a sub would still be able to submerge and escape even with a destroyer present.  So if you come along with a good size fleet and supporting aircraft and just 1 destroyer present, it pretty much means a death sentence for any and all submarines.  The only plus in that is if the defending subs get any hits, you have to take them on bigger, more expensive ships because if you do lose that destroyer, then the planes are out of that part of the battle and the subs could surprise strike the bigger ships before they get a chance to fire.  Also, the subs could simply submerge and escape to fight another day.

• Well, I am okay with DD’s cancelling all sub special rules. But I would love it if a DD is needed for every sub. Or every two subs.

• '10

@Heinrich:

Hi all.

What are your opinions?

@McLovin1985:

I’ve never liked the subs rules, they’re nearly invincible if you think about it. Unless you’re a huge fan of destroyers, which I am not.

Submarines are too puny with the OoB rules. Check out my special sub rules listed today under “house rules”. Give me some feedback.

• Oh, I disagree. Submarines are beautiful if used right. They can really nail UK to a door.

• '10

@xzorn:

Oh, I disagree. Submarines are beautiful if used right. They can really nail UK to a door.

Subs only defend at one. On defense they are only good for taking hits to protect more expensive vessels. I can destroy a complete wolfpack with one destroyer and a half dozen planes. The rules need to reflect the true stealth nature of a submarine.

• Suns are neat. I like to use one to lure out destroyers germany japan or england can not afford to replace.

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

Suns are neat.

I think so too. Makes life so much easier.

:-D

• '10

@Tavenier:

@MarkVIIIMarc:

Suns are neat.

I think so too. Makes life so much easier.

:-D

Without ours we would be very chilly indeed!

• i also like subs, but only on the offensive.they are a little bit like bombers as they can do a lot of damage when in a pack, but they are bad on defense. if used right they can really put a hurt on the enemy. i like using them when i play ANZAC to thin out jap navy

• lol.

U see I have this great new cell phone I am doing half my typing on now days.  Big Thumbs + small touch screen = typos!

• I reckon you are not a piano player?

:)

I agree with the attack value of subs and the comparison with bombers is really true. Sometimes I need to land a lonely bomber somewhere on its own and then it gets killed by an inf and art, or something. Same with subs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m