• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Larry Harris has released a series of changes to the Pacific setup to try and correct the strong tendency toward a J1 attack.

He is holding an open playest so that we can decide if it fixes the problem while retaining a balanced game in Pacific as well as Global.

Here is the link:

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2531&p=27553#p27553

Here are the changes:

**Adjust your normal setup by doing the following:

Remove the following air units:

Japan
    1 fighter, 1 tac bomber, 1 bomber from Manchuria
    3 fighters and 1tac bomber from Japan

Allies
    1 UK fighter from India
    2 ANZC fighters from New Zealand
    1 US bomber from the Philippines
    1 US fighter, and 1 US tac bomber from WUS
    1 US tac bomber from Hawaii

In addition the aircraft I have also moved some units around on the map:
    Move 1 US infantry from WUS to the Philippines
    Move 1 UK transport from sz39 to sz37
    Move 1 Japanese transport, and 1 battleship from sz33 to sz19

Add 3 Japanese infantry on Manchuria
    Add 4 Chinese infantry: 1 on Hunan, 1 on Szechwan, 1 on Shensi, and 1 on Yunnan

Add 1 naval base on New South Wales

Remove 1 UK infantry from Malaya

That’s it… nothing else should be changed from the established setup.

I’d be very happy if this new setup cannot be broken. Are there any volunteers willing to BREAK this game? If so, be my guest, by all means.

Think Global too…**

• I am going to try it in the global game tommorrow. Hope it doesn’t make Japan weaker to help Germany with Russia.

One typo in the set up. The UK transport moves from sz37 to sz39…

• I will also be playing my 1st global game today! We will play with this setup.

• From what you wrote, this is a change for AAP40, not AAG40.  I assume its to make AAP40 a better stand alone game.  However, I will be disapointed if its a AAG40 change as well, as I think(or thought) that AAG40 was play tested very well.

• @miamibeach:

From what you wrote, this is a change for AAP40, not AAG40.  I assume its to make AAP40 a better stand alone game.  However, I will be disapointed if its a AAG40 change as well, as I think(or thought) that AAG40 was play tested very well.

I think this was in response to the complaint that the Japs can move all those planes to Europe and unbalance that theatre

• Ok, that makes sense…I do see the Allies are reduced in aircraft as well(by the same number).

• Official Q&A

Please do not start another discussion of these changes here.  If you have comments or playtest results to report, please post them in the original thread on Larry’s site if you want them to be heard.

• I love how this game is a constantly evolving.  Its like its alive!  :-o

• @Bruda_Iz:

I love how this game is a constantly evolving.  Its like its alive!  :-o

More like how we bought a rough draft. But I do think that fixing it is better than leaving alone. And I’m glad I’ve seen them before starting my first global game. Can someone confirm that these are official (for now) and are for the global game as well?

• Same question!

• Official Q&A

They are for both games, but they are nowhere near official at this point.  They are for playtesting.

• From what it seems like, this should only be necessary for AAP40, not global. Global seems like it was playtested very extensively.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@miamibeach:

From what you wrote, this is a change for AAP40, not AAG40.  I assume its to make AAP40 a better stand alone game.  However, I will be disapointed if its a AAG40 change as well, as I think(or thought) that AAG40 was play tested very well.

I think this was in response to the complaint that the Japs can move all those planes to Europe and unbalance that theatre

I can’t figure it… Pacific is far away from Europe, how is it possible? Through air carriers? It’s too expensive and not logical.

In Global i will test the new setup but with the new NO of 10 IPCs… to counterbalance the 18 rus infantry… it seems fair to me.http://img801.imageshack.us/f/aag40withusoilsupply.png/

from the image of Bob a mickelson… with his permission…

• Customizer

Once Larry makes his official setup changes official I will recreate new setup charts to reflect the changes.

For the record, I prefer that people don’t make changes to my Charts. I would hate to have a million custom charts popping up out there that I had nothing to do with. Please if you guys make modify my charts for your local gaming group, keep it local and don’t republish them on the net.

Thanks.

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

Once Larry makes his official setup changes official I will recreate new setup charts to reflect the changes.

For the record, I prefer that people don’t make changes to my Charts. I would hate to have a million custom charts popping up out there that I had nothing to do with. Please if you guys make modify my charts for your local gaming group, keep it local and don’t republish them on the net.

Thanks.

I’m sorry bob, if you want i will leave the link.

• Used this new set up for global yesterday. The set up is more realistic, but it also makes Japan a little weaker. And that is not what the Eurpean Theatre needs. Germany and Italy struggle already. With a weaker Japan even more so…

• @Stefano1189:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@miamibeach:

I can’t figure it… Pacific is far away from Europe, how is it possible? Through air carriers? It’s too expensive and not logical.

In Global i will test the new setup but with the new NO of 10 IPCs… to counterbalance the 18 rus infantry… it seems fair to me.http://img801.imageshack.us/f/aag40withusoilsupply.png/

from the image of Bob a mickelson… with his permission…

If Japan can still pull off a J1 DoW-J3 India Crush with all the extra air power, they then fly it through the Middle East to Eastern Europe; no carriers needed.  Even if it takes longer than that, you still have the route through the Middle East for the planes to go.

• If Japan sent all the planes over to Germany, i think the Japan military would overthrow the dear leader. You could play that way, but its not realistic.

• SHARED THIS ON LARRY’S SITE ALREADY, JUST WANTED TO SHARE THOUGHTS HERE ALSO:

Ok Larry,

Me and an official playtester of yours here in Michigan (his name is mentioned in the rulebook for Europe 40) played Global with the new setup given with all the aircraft taken away and such. Here was a short summary of what happened:

On the Europe side:

Germany played pretty predictably, sinking most of the UK navy, taking France and the Eastern European pro-allied and pro-axis neutrals with Italy. They continued to build on their air force to keep the UK from building ships right away. Began to stack some ground units as well. Italy expanded into Africa and shored the Middle East slowly controlling the Med.

UK responded by NOT attcking the Italian navy and pulling back the rest of the navy it had left until it could come back to England with a strong navy that included the US. UK took the Pro-allied Brazil and shucked the troops to Africa to help the SAfrican force which slowly pushed the Italians back up to Egypt turning the tide in Africa.

Russia stedily built a force consisting of infantry spiced with some tanks, artillery, tacs and mechs. Stacking behind some dead zones and waiting for the declaration of war.

US spent about 70-80% of its cash in the Pacific since it could not even approach Africa/Europe before a state of war.

Now for the Pacific side:

India with little cash built mostly infantry and stacked. Combined navy near India and activated the Persian troops to bring back and help defend India. In Global, India has a little more help from some extra troops west and a few ships, including one French destroyer to help defend. Also, it can fall back with its stack to West India if needed.

ANZAC naval base is much needed and I am glad it is there- balances nicely.

China was stonger, but does what it normally does and stacks at Yunnan to wait to wear down Japs. China units are really used as a delaying tactic for the India crush.

Japan didn’t see an advantage to the India crush in J1 but felt that the initiative came to them in J2. They didn’t want to wait until J3 because they felt the Allies would have established a long-term defense of India. So with that the Japs declared war on J2 taking back the Dutch East Indies and unleashing the fury. Japan built transports J1 and J2 and built more planes to replace the ones missing from the new setup in J2.

Now even though both Japs and Allies have the same amount of planes removed, Japan can build them faster and move them closer to the action (India). US could also build their planes back but it takes them longer to get them to the battle scene (India). Brit India and ANZAC can’t build much of an airforce because of the typhoon of Jap units coming fast, so India stacks and ANZAC tries to distract and/or try to send some units.

Japan can make the US wait longer to send ships and planes down to ANZAC by using its navy as a shield. I as Allies, I made tactical blunder ruining my chance to meet the Jap onslaught of India from behind through Australia. However, if not for this the setup seems very balanced and gave some options to both sides.

A hot topic question will be “what to do with the Russian inf on the Pacific side??”
    It is very frustrating for the Russians, if you attack immediately, Japan will bring the heat to wipe them out with now China and Russia give large concessions to Japan $$$. If you stack and sit. Japan has to garrison Manchu with a small force but continues to spearhead to India. I figure as the Russians, you have to attack with the 18 inf at some point. The hard part is when. Timing is everything in this decision.

With US entering the war at turn 2, the US began to throw a good amount of cash to the European side, mainly because of the blunder in the Pacific- India would not last long now- 2-3 more rounds. I recovered nicely putting pressure on the French coast quickly until I made another tactical error involving Gibraltar- arrggh!!!- new rules and new map takes a little while getting used to.  :-(

Besides these 2 blunders, I thought the Global game was pretty fair and balanced with a slight edge to the Allies. I definitely think the Allies are a little easier to play because that sides is spilt into 6 sub parts (countries) that are easy to prepare while you are waiting for the Axis to finish. The Axis with so many more units in the beginning, take longer and you have to be very efficient both in the short-term and the long-term planning.

Anyway that was are anaylsis so I hope it helps.  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m