• Just got my copy yesterday, playing my first game tonight.

I was looking at the setup last night (no number or quality of pictures can compare to just having a fully set up board in front of you), and I’m starting to think that a G1 attack on Russia will be feasible.  With 2 or 3 infantry plus a tank available to attack against 3 infantry in each territory (not to mention additional tanks from Greater Southern Germany if desired, you should be able to take each border territory.  Your Norway units can activate Finland, and your Baltic transport cab beef up the assault on the Baltic states.  Even though you should take each territory with only a tank and maybe an infantry, USSR will be hard pressed to take them back.  Except for Leningrad, there will be practically no Soviet units remaining on the front line, and Leningrad will be threatened from the north by Finland, and from the south by the large stack that moves from Germany into Poland, with both being supported by the Baltic fleet.

Given that most of what I’ve read of speculative strategy has the USSR consolidating their forces backwards (Russians don’t retreat :wink:) until they meet up with reinforcements, a G1 assault may be the best opportunity to catch the Russians with their pants down, and really put some blitzkrieg pressure on them.

Thoughts?

• I have not tried that one yet but noticed the same pattern you have.

One drawback is russia can wander south and activate the pro allied neutral iran sooner……

If I can line them up so russia cant counter attack any of that expensivr armor I’ll go for it

• '22 '19 '18

Another drawback is that Germany doesn’t collect 5 IPC for not being at war with Russia and Russia get plus 5 IPC for being at war with Germany.  Also if you attack G1 you won’t have forces to take Yugoslavia G1.

• The biggest problem I see with a G1 Barbarossa is that the Luftwaffe can’t join in if they are attacking the Royal Navy. And if the Germans do allovate their air force eastward, they don’t completely negate the threat posed by the Royal Navy. I oculd see a G2 Barbarossa being plausible, but G1 is premature.

• You would need to leave France, and that could work, but could backfire big time.

• Just strafe france and let Italy take it.

• Strafing France means leaving a lot of British sailors alive, which can hurt really bad.

• @Tavenier:

Strafing France means leaving a lot of British sailors alive, which can hurt really bad.

How? Less forces to France equals more planes to kill the RN

• Strafing France means hitting it with planes to soften it up for Italy, right?

That way those planes are not sinking Brits.

• @Tavenier:

Strafing France means hitting it with planes to soften it up for Italy, right?

That way those planes are not sinking Brits.

Germany can TAKE Paris with just land units. Strafing means killing most of them and retreating at the last second

• G3 seems optimal for me, massing the right troops in the right place.

• Okay, thanks. I thought the English word strafing only had to do with planes.

I think G2 or G3 is best to attack Russia.

• @Tavenier:

Okay, thanks. I thought the English word strafing only had to do with planes.

Yeah, I’ve heard of the plane one. In real-life usage, it is attacking with planes. In axis and allies terminology, strafing can be that, or what I’ve described. It’s basically any attack where you intend to kill enemy units without taking the territory

• @Napoleon:

G3 seems optimal for me, massing the right troops in the right place.

I like the G3, or even G4 attack depending on how the battles are going, unit placements etc. The more ground units Germany gets on the ground the better in the frist few turns. Once the US gets involved it will be harder to send men to the East front. Tacs and fighters and bombers will be invaluable for their ability to be used in destroying fleets, and Russians with little to no trunaround. In the later rounds I can see alot of tank, and mech purchases to rush units to hot zones.

I think a G1 Barbarose helps the Allies and spells the end of the game for the Axis, unless they get amazing rolls.

• @Tavenier:

G2? You won’t have enough on the front line, they would be in France.

• All stuff you can’t throw against France can be positioned. In the north you gain 4 Finns. In the south 4 Bulgarians. On G2 your airforce will be able to be used against Russia. And then of course the stuff you have bought on G1.

In non combat you can leave your western inf to defend the coast line and all fast troops can be used as a follow up on the eastern front.

In this scenario I don’t take Yugo, of course. It only gives you 2 IPC while it cost you at least 2 inf (6 IPC) and keeps a lot of your troops too far away from the real action. Leave the Balkans for Italy. Especially if they lose their fleet they can still progress if Greece and Yugo are theirs to conquer.

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Tavenier:

Yeah, I’ve heard of the plane one. In real-life usage, it is attacking with planes. In axis and allies terminology, strafing can be that, or what I’ve described. It’s basically any attack where you intend to kill enemy units without taking the territory

Interesting.  We have always called it a “probing attack”, where you test the waters and see how the first round works out, with no initial intention of taking the territory…  mostly just to weaken the enemy front and or draw his attention there.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Tavenier:

Interesting.  We have always called it a “probing attack”, where you test the waters and see how the first round works out, with no initial intention of taking the territory…  mostly just to weaken the enemy front and or draw his attention there.

One example is a big Russian Stack in Russia surrounded by a German and Japanese medium stacks. Russia strafes the Japan stack, killing all but 2 units, then retreats into Russia to protect it from the German stack

• Back to the topic at hand, played my first game last night and did a G2 attack. I did not like it. You don’t have enough troops to be really decisive and you’re only killing single infantry if the ruffians are smart. It’s amazing how quickly they can turn that front into a quagmire. I think a g1 or g4 attack will be best.

• You can always only attack inf in Russia. On G1 there is nothing else on the Russian border and on every other turn Russia will be smart enough to leave only inf at the border.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m