• My copy arrived yesterday evening.

I tried some moves to see how it would work out. In AAAE I always sank the Brits on G1. This time there are too many ships to sink in G1. But I tried to get the most out of it and used all my subs, ships and airforce to attack at sea. It was very succesful, because it cost the Brits and French about 100 IPC worth of ships and me only 2 subs and a damaged battleship.

So far so good.

But my attack on France really missed the punch my airforce can deliver. I took 2 inf and 1 art to attack Normandy and all the rest was used on Paris. I got 7x1, 2x2 and 5x3, so I should on average score about 4.4 hits. The Anglo-French alliance have 9x2, 2x3 and 1x4, so should score about 4.7 hits. Even though the Germans lose a couple of ‘ones’ and the French losing ‘twos’, it still is a close call and chances the French can hold out are pretty big.

What naval units should be destroyed while leaving enough airpower for France?

What are your thought?

• I have gone soft on the royal navy on G1 only killing that destroyer and some stuff my subs could get to in favor of taking france with overwhelming odds and pushing into……what is that…yugoslavia i think.

• And didn’t the RN give you headaches because of it?

• I think if you start seperating your forces you are asking for trouble.  Just go with overwhelming force at either power. G1 bum nut France, G2 turn your attentions to the United kingdom.

• @General:

I think if you start seperating your forces you are asking for trouble.  Just go with overwhelming force at either power. G1 bum nut France, G2 turn your attentions to the United kingdom.

I as the UK will be glad to have 2 unmolested Battleships in the Atlantic

• You cant leave the UK BB’s  alone. You are likely only going to lose a sub or so in each battle.  What a trade.

I might consider leaving the uk and french cruiser alone for one round or the Canada TR/DD.  We will see.

• i would sink most of the UK navy (definitely sink the groups with BB and the destroyer and transport off Canada) and leave the rest… and head for France.  on top of your units add 1 tactical bomber and 1 fighter to the mix.  the 1 art and 2 infantry to normandy is pretty safe.  i would also invade yugoslavia with forces that can’t reach france and leave 1 infantry in romania for non combat movement into pro axis bulgaria. 1 infantry in norway move into pro axis finland as well.

• You can’t leave the RN alone, as it will sail out of reach of your airforce and subs alone won’t cut it. But you can’t cripple them either without leaving France live for another turn.

Maybe attack all out at sea and leave Paris, but do conquer Normany, Southern France and Yugoslavia (and of course Finland and Bulgaria). France will be able to build for another turn, but you will be able to throw everything at it (except for some Eastern European forces).

I think I will try the latter, because sinking an extra UK BB is worth more in IPC then the complete French income (19). Sinking all trannies is another very expensive blow for the UK and helps you a lot in the long run.

• Not taking France on G1 would be a grave mistake.  Not only are you not looting the 19 IPC that you desperately need, France will be building units against you which will make it more costly for you to take over on G2.  That’s a 19 IPC swing in both directions, plus the added casualties of a G2 attack on France, not to mention the 4 IPC for France itself.

• I would not want to leave France alone and allow them to place 6 more inf down or allow the UK to move any units out of Paris to stop Italy in S. France

• I just played a game as the allies. My friend invaded all 3 French territories and succeeded! He also got to kill off quite a few Brits, but it cost him all of his subs. He also didn’t invade Yug, because he wanted to that with his airpower a turn later. In the first turn the Germans cashed 69 IPC!!! 17 from capturing Paris, 10 from two NO’s and 42 from his regular income.

That made me realise something. I wondered if it is wise to leave the SU alone for 3 or 4 turns as Germany. But with this kind of money you get way more then twice the SU income for the second turn and after that are in a good position to gain close to 55 (invading Yugo and perhaps Greece).

What I also noticed was that there are so many strategic options from the start. Even more then in Pacific. As Italy do you take care of all surface ships to get the NO, of do you want to start expanding in Egypt on I1. We experienced that you can’t do it both.

I love it so far!

• The extra 6 units france buys is more than offset by the 10 extra Germans that can get there.  I think it depends on when you want to attack Russia, but I could see taking only one or two of the French territories to gain overwhelming odds on the attack.  And that doesn’t even count the armor that could make it.

• not having the europe game yet,i would sink the uk navy first,cos the french and bef arent going any place,you can get them on g2

• TripleA

@Tavenier:

I took 2 inf and 1 art to attack Normandy

and all the rest was used on Paris. I got 7x1, 2x2 and 5x3, so I should on average score about 4.4 hits. The Anglo-French alliance have 9x2, 2x3 and 1x4, so should score about 4.7 hits.

you should try leaving normandy and using the 2inf and 1art in the paris battle. now you can take down the uk navy and win paris with your tanks surviving

• and all the rest was used on Paris. I got 7x1, 2x2 and 5x3, so I should on average score about 4.4 hits. The Anglo-French alliance have 9x2, 2x3 and 1x4, so should score about 4.7 hits.

you should try leaving normandy and using the 2inf and 1art in the paris battle. now you can take down the uk navy and win paris with your tanks surviving

I totally agree.

• I dont see how you get 69 ipcs…  I only count 41 for german territories-  30 original + 4 Paris + 2 Normandy + 2 Finland + 2 Yugoslavia + 1 Bulgaria = 41 IPCs

• You forgot the 19 it takes from France and the 10 it gets from NO’s

• Actually it was:
    Germany: 30
    3 French territories: 9
    Bulgaria: 1
    Finland: 2
    2 NO’s: 10
    French reserves: 17 (19 is in global game, because of Indo China).

Total: 69

Yugoslavia and Greece were conquered G2, which added another 4, making German income 56 IPC.

• '10

Ran through the first few rounds of a game last night.  Took 2 INF 1 ART to Normandy, other starting ground troops to France, 2 subs to kill canadian dest/trans, 2 subs 1 tac against BB/Cruiser, BB/cruiser/ftr/tac v Cruisers, 1 sub 1 ftr vs Dd/TRN off Britain.  Killed everything I went after with the exception of canadian transport.  Lost a plane to keep the German BB/Cruiser together outside the Danish Straits.  I’m thinking a 5 sub buy for Germany first round might not be bad, especially if you’re looking to put off Barbarossa.  With the Brits down to 2 destroyers, one of which is off Gibraltar, I’m thinking the subs would help keep the German navy alive cheap, while being hard to kill and offering tons of convoy-disruption opportunity.  What say ye?

Also, what do you guys think about throwing at the British CV first round?  It looked like a losing gamble to me, but leaving it alone puts the Italians in a world of hurt.

• @eudemonist:

Ran through the first few rounds of a game last night.  Took 2 INF 1 ART to Normandy, other starting ground troops to France, 2 subs to kill canadian dest/trans, 2 subs 1 tac against BB/Cruiser, BB/cruiser/ftr/tac v Cruisers, 1 sub 1 ftr vs Dd/TRN off Britain.  Killed everything I went after with the exception of canadian transport.  Lost a plane to keep the German BB/Cruiser together outside the Danish Straits.  I’m thinking a 5 sub buy for Germany first round might not be bad, especially if you’re looking to put off Barbarossa.  With the Brits down to 2 destroyers, one of which is off Gibraltar, I’m thinking the subs would help keep the German navy alive cheap, while being hard to kill and offering tons of convoy-disruption opportunity.  What say ye?

Also, what do you guys think about throwing at the British CV first round?  It looked like a losing gamble to me, but leaving it alone puts the Italians in a world of hurt.

2 sunbs vs carrier, DD and tac is an attack of 4 vs 7. If both sides get a hit, it’s 1 sub vs a DD, tac and damaged carrier. The sub will likely miss and die if it attacks again. Now the tac is on an airbase and the carrier can be repaired.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m