• This may have already been posted….but what are you doing about fitting this monster on a table where you don’t have to worry about knocking off the ends at any given moment. I have a big folding table, and I think I’ll buy another one and just put them together…I still have to figure out someway to make it level…any ideas??

Also if you have a better table situation altogether please share or just whatever you’re doing in general.

Thanks in advance! Can’t wait for the 24th!!!  8-)

• '10

My dinningroom-table is 2,60 m x 0.95 m. Enough for the global version.

I connect the map pieces on the backside with a special crepe tape. That works and does not damage the map pieces.

• I was curious if anyone knows where to purchase a table big enough for global that is relatively cheap?

I have a dining room table that I think is just big enough but it’s pretty old.

• office supply store:  the lunchroom style long tables…  might need a small plexiglass extension on some models

• I think a pong pong table will work great. You can find a used one on Craig’s List pretty cheap, or free some times.

As for keeping the game boards together I used plastic runners that you get at a building supply co (Home Depo) for AA50 & Pac, worked great. They are thin plastic slotted strips that you put on the end of paneling or wall board. They come in 8 foot lengths, cut it to size (70 inches) for the top & bottom of the map to keep the sections together.

• @marechallannes:

My dinningroom-table is 2,60 m x 0.95 m. Enough for the global version.

I connect the map pieces on the backside with a special crepe tape. That works and does not damage the map pieces.

Where do you get your tape?? What’s it called, brand etc?

Thanks.

• @WILD:

I think a pong pong table will work great. You can find a used one on Craig’s List pretty cheap, or free some times.

As for keeping the game boards together I used plastic runners that you get at a building supply co (Home Depo) for AA50 & Pac, worked great. They are thin plastic slotted strips that you put on the end of paneling or wall board. They come in 8 foot lengths, cut it to size (70 inches) for the top & bottom of the map to keep the sections together.

Pics? Brand? Thanks. :wink:

• '10

@ruwenzori:

Where do you get your tape?? What’s it called, brand etc?
    Thanks.

“Masking Tape” is another word for it. Kind of tape you use if you’re painting the rooms. It’s not sticky enough to dammage the surface, but it keeps the maps togehter.

You find it in building supplies stores.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Pool (Billiards) Tables work well… I have one in the basement. We don’t typically play on it though, because it used to be a little too big. That might not be a problem anymore.

You also kinda have to sit on stools or high chairs too, which isn’t all that comfortable for extended periods. It is nice to be able to walk around the table and examine it, or just pace if you are nervous though. If you make some of those little push rods like the Generals use in all those war movies it can be pretty cool though.

• '10

• I went the expensive route–got a custom table from geek chic, complete with a 6X4 piece of plexiglass that will cover the whole thing.  The play surface is sunk into the table and has covers, so the cats can’t go all hiroshima on it if I save it for a while!

But my buddy went the cheap way—he has two folding tables in the basement end to end.  The cheap solution works mighty fine–it will play well in either place.

• If you need to extend a table get a piece of 4x8 1/2 inch plywood. cheap and it works. to big to store it? cut it in half.

• @johnnymarr:

This is what I did

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=18186.0

How did you know that the game would come with a union jack roundal?

• '10

How did you know that the game would come with a union jack roundel?

i guessed

• Customizer

@lnmajor:

If you need to extend a table get a piece of 4x8 1/2 inch plywood. cheap and it works. to big to store it? cut it in half.

This is exactly what I have done.  Although I took it a step further.    :-D  
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=18426.msg616205#msg616205
    The insert for the map is 32"x80" (more then enough room for the Global game.)

It would only cost you like $50 for the sheet of 3/4" plywood and folding table legs.  I went with the 3/4" sheet for added strength.  Some of the guys in my game group are big guys and I needed a stronger table for when they are leaning on it.

• @ruwenzori:

I have a big folding table, and I think I’ll buy another one and just put them together…I still have to figure out someway to make it level…any ideas??

My table arrangement is described in replies #33 and #26 of this thread: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19596.30

It includes the details of how I made things level both below the map (using three canvases mounted on balsa wood frames) and above it (with a large sheet of acrylic).

The canvases were sold already mounted, so all I had to do was choose the ones that were the right size, take them home, put them on the row of tables and cover them with black cloth.  An important point was to pick canvases that were not the same width as the individual folding tables, so that the joints of the assembled canvases did not end up on top of the joints of the assembled tables.  Otherwise, the slight height differences between the tables would simply have created the same height difference in the canvases.  Having the joints fall at different places created a fairly smooth surface, which became even smoother (and looked nicer) once the cloth was added on top.

• The question should be… do I have a big enough room?
    The trick for me is too go out and buy a battlefield size plyboard (8X4). Mount some legs (4X4posts). Stiffin the center with a box frame. That should do. Flip it over and lay some short ply carpet and Viola!
    Quite the small-time picnic tables and step up men!

• My main problem is that I live in Texas where we don’t build basements, lol. I live in a modest sized house so really the only place I could keep this for an extended period would be the garage, which is not an option during the summer. I guess we will just have to gut our games out in an evening so my mom won’t have a cow about it taking up the dining room table.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m