Why No Convoy Markers in SZ 113, 114, 115, 127?

• Considering that most of Germany’s iron ore had to come across the Baltic from Sweden (SZ 113, 114, 115), and that the Russians relied heavily on US/UK aid coming through Archangel (SZ 127), why would these sea zones have no convoy markers?

SZ 113, 114, 115 are protected by the new ‘straits’ rule.

SZ 127 is protected by its relative distance from Axis naval bases.

So it couldn’t be due to game balancing issues, could it?

And if it wouldn’t make too huge a difference in game balance, why not opt for historical accuracy and include the convoy markers in the relevant SZ?

Speculations and game-tester testimonials welcome…

• Yes, this is a good point. Is being in control of Archangel still an NO for the russians (that is they don’t receive their bonus IPCs if they have lost this territory?). If so, it would still be reflected somewhat. In case you’re wondering; this is one of the Russian NOs in AA50.

• Yes, there is one Russian NO where Russia must control Archangelsk and not have any other Allied units in their territories (like in AA50), however, they must now also not have any Axis naval units in sz127.  So essentially blockading/convoys sz127 is accounted for with this NO.  As far as 113, 114, and 115 go, that I don’t know.

• @SAS:

Yes, there is one Russian NO where Russia must control Archangelsk and not have any other Allied units in their territories (like in AA50), however, they must now also not have any Axis naval units in sz127.  So essentially blockading/convoys sz127 is accounted for with this NO.  As far as 113, 114, and 115 go, that I don’t know.

That’s a good catch about Russia needing sz 127 cleared to get it’s NO (w/o actually making it a convoy zone). As for the Baltic, I kinda expected a convoy zone there too. The only thing I can say is that convoy’s work both ways. If Russia was to get Poland it would be to easy for Germany to drop boats in sz 114 (or already have them there).

• That’s true there, Bill.  That may be the reasoning there, plus the fact that a large Allied fleet like has usually happened in most AA games up to this point parked in the Baltic could conceivably drain Germany of income, which would be unrealistic really as they could get many supplies from other places than the Baltic.

• @SAS:

That’s true there, Bill.  That may be the reasoning there, plus the fact that a large Allied fleet like has usually happened in most AA games up to this point parked in the Baltic could conceivably drain Germany of income, which would be unrealistic really as they could get many supplies from other places than the Baltic.

Yes, but now they’d have to take Denmark first to be allowed to move into the Baltic! (and control it from the beginning of the turn. Well, of course Britain could take it and then the US could move in their ships, I assume. Don’t know the order of play by heart, but perhaps some italian troops stationed in Germany would be able to kick the British out of Denmark again, thereby disallowing the passage of American ships…

• @Koningstiger:

Don’t know the order of play by heart, but perhaps some italian troops stationed in Germany would be able to kick the British out of Denmark again, thereby disallowing the passage of American ships…

Hey good call. Italy is connected to Germany (W Germany) now. It can blitz up to Denmark if need be to liberate it. Good to know.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m